Microkorg Rhodes Sound?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 07-27-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
NightlightSociety
Master of the LFO
NightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond repute
Bay Area
MC Status: 2910
Microkorg Rhodes Sound?

Hello everyone! I know very little about synthesis. Someday i hope to learn more about it but alas, as of now i do not. So someone skilled in synthesis, With an original microkorg, Please help me create a good sounding, jazzy, rhodes piano sound? I know it is possible, like here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

However i'm broke right now and cant buy that sound library. I'm broker than broke. So someone out there, willing to give me some tips to make a sound identical to that of the link i posted, I would give much respect to you! In desperate need right now lol.

Advertisements

------------------
NightlightSociety is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10376517
Re: Microkorg Rhodes Sound?

Choose a synth first of all.

Also that looks like a free synth type from its GUI. There are a a few nice ones out there.

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507726

if you're willing to go the software route, this is what I use sometimes, and the price should fit your budget!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by penguinoid; 07-27-2014 at 06:16 PM..
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8507130
Thanked 6,324 Times in 4,541 Posts

There are tons of Rhodes emulations around and if you do a bit of digging I'm sure you can find Sound Fonts or multi samples for free. Or Peguinoid's suggestion. : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:40 AM   #5
NightlightSociety
Master of the LFO
NightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond repute
Bay Area
MC Status: 2910

Well i'm trying to synthesize the sound on my microkorg. I'm not using it for any of my songs, i just need one for live use, And i'd rather use my microkorg instead of software. Thanks for the suggestions anyways though, if i ever need a rhodes sound for my tunes i'll use those suggestions

------------------
NightlightSociety is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:44 AM   #6
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8507130
Thanked 6,324 Times in 4,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightlightSociety View Post
Well i'm trying to synthesize the sound on my microkorg. I'm not using it for any of my songs, i just need one for live use, And i'd rather use my microkorg instead of software. Thanks for the suggestions anyways though, if i ever need a rhodes sound for my tunes i'll use those suggestions
Well, the MicroKorg is more or less a subtractive synth yea? In that case I would probably just look up a tutorial on how to synthesize a Rhodes patch with subtractive synthesis and try to apply it to the MicroKorg.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:52 AM   #7
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848

Tbh, id just go with a multisample. It's really more of a pain to synthesize than it's worth. I usually just use a patch on my digital piano called "60's E Piano". I believe there is an extremely good wurlitzer soundfont out there.
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheWizar
penguinoid (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

don't forget the processing, rhodes do well distorted a bit, some EQ boost in the lows and highs.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #9
Thoracius
Learning The Ropes
Thoracius is on a distinguished road
Reykjavik
MC Status: 10

Hi there, I made that Rhodes patch you were asking about.

I can tell you generally the four things you need to do:

1. Start by getting a good timbre from the oscillators. This will be bright and possibly have hideous overtones, but we'll filter those out in step#2. The MicroKORG has some digital waveforms called DGWS, which includes a few E-Piano sounds. On the patch you referenced I used 37.EPiano2 on Oscillator 1. That gets you a lot of the way there. For Oscillator 2 I set it to Square Wave, because, like mentioned by others, e-pianos have a bit of a saturated sound to them, and a square wave is kind of like a clipped distorted sine wave.

2. Basically for any kind of piano patch you use both the filter and volume envelopes to make it so that it's got bright and loud attack and fades to be duller and quieter. You have to set the Filter EG so that they Filter Envelope affects the filter frequency. You most likely want to be using a Low Pass Filter and roll down the cut off so that you don't get too much high frequency. All these settings need to be tuned by ear, to taste, and depend on one another quite a bit, so it's a lot of going back and forth between them all again and again.

3. You're probably going to want to make your piano velocity sensitive. You do this with the patch slots by patching velocity to the amp and/or filter, so that when you hit the key harder the sound gets louder and/or brighter. Again, you have to tune this to taste, and then maybe go back to your filter and tune that.

4. Finally, you'll want some modulation. Typically electric pianos have some tremolo on them. So you need to patch an LFO to the amplitude.

I've added a handful of e-pianos of different sorts to that preset pack for the MicroKORG -- more mellow or aggressive, analog-sounding or digital -- and each one I take a different approach based on the sound I'm after. On a couple of them I didn't use any DGWS digital waveforms, instead just sine and saw waves with ring modulation and/or cross modulation and/or sync to create the timbre I needed. You can patch keyboard map to the panpot to create a stereo spread. You can use a little vibrato by patching an LFO to pitch. There are other ways to create a more nuanced attack sound that doesn't involve the filter or amp, but that's pretty advanced.

Hope that helps. Ultimately, to make good synth patches you need a good ear and an attention to detail, and you need learn what every single parameter does and how it affects the sound in different scenarios. The MicroKORG is severely limited in its patching capabilities, so for a nuanced physical sound like the electric piano you're pushing it to its limits, trying to milk everything you can from it. You can read up on that stuff, but I recommend also spending a lot of time just playing with it to get a feel for it. I use KORG's sound editor software so that I can have all the parameters visually in front of me at once, instead of having to dial through various menus, finding what I'm looking for on a tiny matrix. That helps.

Last edited by Thoracius; 12-05-2016 at 06:39 PM..

Advertisements

Thoracius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: iamamiwhoami