August Album Writing Month (AAWM) 2014
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Quarterly Album Writing Month (QAWM) IDMf's Quarterly Album Writing Month project. Find all things QAWM related PLUS members own QAWM music!

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744018941
Thanked 7,030 Times in 4,376 Posts
August Album Writing Month (AAWM) 2014

OK so just under a month to get your plans together for August's Quarterly Album Writing Month.
Got any ideas yet? Are you following on from the last one and developing that idea further or are you maybe trying something totally different under a new alias?
Does summer give you that laid back chilled vibe or does it just make you want to destroy everything with sound?
What you gonna do?

Last edited by lolirl; 04-07-2014 at 04:16 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269451408
Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,733 Posts
Re: August Album Writing Month (AAWM) 2014

I'm taking a break on this as I'm discussing with a label the release of the album I did during May Album Writing Month. Most likely an old school cassette, very diy!
Call that a success story!

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

That's really cool man, great news, good work.
Proof that you can take control of your own project (not specifically you, I just mean generally IDMf members) get it finished, take it outside of IDMf and have some real world interest and hopefully (at least minor) success.
Good work Auto, very pleased for you.
Our first breakthrough QAWM effort.
Will you be mentioning us in the sleeve notes?

------------------
Old 04-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8524080
Thanked 6,663 Times in 4,753 Posts

I'm really not sure...recently got back into DnB again (thanks to @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Prime 's podcasts!)...I will also hopefully coming home with a boat load of field recordings from the hippie/pagan festival I go to every summer. On the other hand I've been having a blast doing...well...four to the floor stuff...dunno if it's techno or house or what...
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
think I remember you saying something about this not long ago? Anyway, congrats man! Will it be tape only? I will probably buy a copy anyway...but having digital download available would be nice too : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963433
Thanked 4,080 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I'm taking a break on this as I'm discussing with a label the release of the album I did during May Album Writing Month. Most likely an old school cassette, very diy!
Call that a success story!
Wow, that is awesome, congrats!

I plan on submitting my May tracks as part of AAWM. Shhhh don't tell anyone. I will make some more too.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
DJ RISE
Granular Poster
DJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to behold
Banora Point, NSW
MC Status: 860

This is an interesting idea. :O I've participated in a number of remix/original track comps that have lasted a month, but never thought of making an album in a month.

I wouldn't know where to begin, nor even what structure it should be. I don't think I would be able to make a whole album of just the one genre. I find that very boring. Why not have an album of different genres? Break the rules.

Hmm.
DJ RISE is offline   Thanks
Thanks to DJ RISE
Muse-ic (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

There are no rules. It's pretty much just raw composing on the fly and getting people to jump in and make tracks and be creative and on the fly. You could even post rough drafts to flesh out later. Hope to see you participate, it's pretty fun and I like to see what people come up with.
Thanks to Muse-ic
lolirl (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #8
DJ RISE
Granular Poster
DJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to behold
Banora Point, NSW
MC Status: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
getting people to jump in and make tracks and be creative and on the fly.
Now there's an interesting idea. :O I could do a handful of originals. Collabs with some mates or get them to remix my tracks.

Done. Haha.

I want to start now!
DJ RISE is offline   Thanks
Thanks to DJ RISE
lolirl (04-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5742393

Congrats auto, still moving in the same direction as the last two QAWMs. Plus I moved and don't have internets, so I'm working on music a lot. Depending on how many projects I still like in a month, I may sample elements from the meh ones and build projects from them. Might be my challenge for Augest. No new instruments, just arranging and effecting, etc.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks
Thanks to bbb
relic (07-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #10
lolirl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ RISE View Post
I wouldn't know where to begin...
Have a look back through our previous efforts for some inspiration.

There really are no hard and fast rules other than try to get a collection of tracks together in a month (and that wasn't even our idea).
Try something new, try something you know you do well, use an alias, use your real name, make a concept album based on the noises coming up from your street, make a liquid dnb album or whatever you like really.

It's only the writing/demo we're interested in for QAWM by the way.
You get the next two months off to do final arrangement, mix and master before it's back to the grindstone for the next one in November.

------------------
Thanks to lolirl
Muse-ic (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 01:16 AM   #11
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Have a look back through our previous efforts for some inspiration.

There really are no hard and fast rules other than try to get a collection of tracks together in a month (and that wasn't even our idea).
Try something new, try something you know you do well, use an alias, use your real name, make a concept album based on the noises coming up from your street, make a liquid dnb album or whatever you like really.

It's only the writing/demo we're interested in for QAWM by the way.
You get the next two months off to do final arrangement, mix and master before it's back to the grindstone for the next one in November.
This.

A whole month not to give a shit about the mix down? Count me in!

I really encourage you to join us. It's a great exercise. The original project (search fawm.org) asks for 14 tracks in a month....we are much looser than that...but trying to complete a cohesive project in a month is, quite honestly, a fantastic exercise and will get your creative juices flowing.

------------------
Old 09-07-2014, 02:29 AM   #12
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153460
Thanked 3,069 Times in 2,152 Posts

aawm yeah. I hope more than 10 people show up to the party this time
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #13
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14710

Oooh dang I'm ready. I'm going to continue exploring my 404/sampling ideas. I am thinking/looking for an MPC though. Just an MPC and a 404. The problem I ran into last go was that I filled up the sequence memory on my 404 and it kind of stopped at about 10 minutes....and my hardware only aspect was kind of limited.

But I've already got some samples in mind... I just got a 909 card for my Roland R8M and have a TX81Z on the way. I've got 4 sample-able drum machines via the R8M(808, 909, CR 78) and DR-110. I had a drummer buddy come by the other day and record on two other tracks I wrote, all of that is sample fodder. Doing a jungle/d&b remix for my buddy's band.... that kit is sample fodder. I'm hype.

I'll be sampling more hardware besides the volca keys for this one too... Prophet 12, Lil Phatty, MS-20, MS-2000, maybe some R3. I'm going to stick with hardware, a certain amount of samples, and some process. But if I snag an MPC before August then shit is going to get shook up.

If all else fails I'll just do some shit on the 404.

So hype.

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks
Thanks to JMagee
lolirl (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagee View Post
I'll be sampling more hardware besides the volca keys for this one too... Prophet 12, Lil Phatty, MS-20, MS-2000, maybe some R3.
If you ever felt like...you know...sharing some samples from any of these...I'm sure no one here would be all over that...

Anyway sounds awesome and glad to have you participate in QAWM again

------------------
Old 09-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #15
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
c-audio's basement, apparently.
MC Status: 31160

I'm in.
This will be interesting.

I'm going to take/pick 3-4 photographs.
I'll spend the whole month trying to describe them.

Last edited by g0lem; 09-07-2014 at 06:03 PM..

------------------
g0lem is offline   Thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #16
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14710

Well I'm about to take WaxDat's MV 8800 preset and to record some multi-sample banks. You know, just go through and one shot the patches in super long files that you can just Recycle in about two seconds? I'll make some sample packs once it's all said and done. Recycled WAVs, Ableton Live Racks, and maybe some MPC programs.

The R8 is sounding way better since I got a power conditioner for it so I'm really hype about these drum samples. Get some super clean, some with 404 Lo-Fi, and I'm thinking about pitching some up to take to tape and pitching it down with a slower dub speed. Like super grit worble.

I'm ready for the AAWM to pop off. I guess I better get to sampling.

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #17
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lem View Post
I'm in.
This will be interesting.

-----------------------------

Also, just throwing this out there...again...collabs are a big part of the FAWM.org project...I'm always open to seeing more of that here.

I'm up for some collabs...it might be cool to plan some shit out ahead of time. I usually work by trading .wav files over dropbox...
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
...is collab chat cool in this thread to an extent or keep it all to PM?

------------------
Old 09-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #18
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MC
Wulf Palace
MC Status: 40862

I had to start over, so I picked up Reason Essentials and gave it a go. I might hop in this month if things go smoothly.

------------------
Wulfsok is offline   Thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #19
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Cool new blood.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #20
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfsok View Post
I had to start over, so I picked up Reason Essentials and gave it a go. I might hop in this month if things go smoothly.
Hop in any way

Advertisements

------------------
Closed Thread