July game making month! (Other contributions required)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269454808
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,773 Posts
July game making month! (Other contributions required)

Hot on the success of the various Quarterly Album Making Months, let me bring you July Game Making Month!

So, what is it?
It is a month you dedicate to making a videogame.
(The original idea was to make a game a week, but most of us have jobs...)

It doesn't need to be a masterpiece with stunning 3d graphics and 64 players multiplayers all running at a stunning 120 fps, a simple cube running around avoiding circles will do, as long as you made, had fun and enjoyed learning a new skills.

There's a few game engines you can use, I personally decided to use Stencyl as I can't code, I tried GameMaker, but the Mac version is out of date and didn't really click with me, but apparently the PC version is quite good.
There's of course Unity, RPG Maker (I never tried it as I'm on Mac, but it's meant to be good), GameSalad is another.
Pick one and get going! It doesn't have to be 100% original, do you want to make a Flappy Bird clone and call it IDMf bird, music by @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and you replace the bird with @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
's face? You're welcome to it!

You can contribute in plenty others way, the ones who will be programming the game will need assets, graphics, tiles, backgrounds, music, sound effects, testing this can be a great way to use some of your skills and work with someone else!

Then what?

Then your game is done, let people on the forum play it and give feedback to you, maybe keep working and tuning it until you're 100% happy with it!

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and I are in, come on, get involved!

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8529430
Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,823 Posts
Re: July game making month! (Other contributions required)

Really cool Auto. I had a play with RPG maker years ago. I have been looking for an excuse to load up the 8 bit synth in the OTO Biscuit...this might be a good oppurtunity.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 24960

Cool, I'm in!

edit: I recently saw that the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Unity has a similar license, you can use the full version for free as long as your budget does not exceed a certain limit and you don't sell, pretty fair. Unity requires knowledge of C# though.

I think I'll use Java, with the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
libraries for visuals (with which I am quite familiar now).

Last edited by Nyul; 07-06-2014 at 02:47 PM..

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
neutral
Savage Mad Cunt
neutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MC
Manchester
MC Status: 103011127

Deffo into this. I've been slacking on actually finishing a game so this could be a good opportunity.

I'm torn between working on my SRPG (currently just some pathfinding scripts) or making a super hard platformer...

And for anyone who might be into this but is worried about not being able to code, it doesn't matter. Like Auto said theres a ton of software these days that doesn't require any coding experience (Gamemaker is a great one, but Unity with the Playmaker addon is incredible too, especially for anyone who's used programs like Max or Reaktor) and theres a shit ton of tutorials out there. It's really never been easier.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
New years day 2000 my guitar became self-aware. It kills fascists with three chords and the truth.
neutral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

I didn't know about Playmaker for Unity, after July I'll look into it.
So far I have 2 ideas, one is a Gauntlet-style game, lots of level, kill whatever moves; the other is more of a "simon says" game, the computer plays a drum sequence, the player repeats it...

------------------
Old 07-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
RaidenBeats
Fuck 'er Right N Da Pussy
RaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MC
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream
MC Status: 41760

anyone wanna partner up? i can do sound design and music and whatnot

------------------
Im looking for people to collaborate with on artistic projects. I am currently looking for a couple artists who can draw very well that want to work on a comic book
RaidenBeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:45 AM   #7
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 18160

i know my way around unreal and cry engine if that helps
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:56 AM   #8
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262785979
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,769 Posts

I have experience using RPG Maker to make steaming piles of shit
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:23 AM   #9
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941831
Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,575 Posts

If I had someone to help with all the hard stuff I would totally make a shmup like Gradius. Turns out, those people that only do the hard stuff don't exist.

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:58 AM   #10
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153460
Thanked 3,069 Times in 2,152 Posts

I am so in. This is an awesome idea
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:05 AM   #11
RaidenBeats
Fuck 'er Right N Da Pussy
RaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MC
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream
MC Status: 41760

so who here has experience in actually making a game of some sort. i wanna make something super simple but fun, like reverse flappy bird and yo uplay as a penis flying thru vaginas or something (copyrighted raidenbeats 2014 lol )

------------------
Im looking for people to collaborate with on artistic projects. I am currently looking for a couple artists who can draw very well that want to work on a comic book
RaidenBeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:06 AM   #12
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262785979
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
If I had someone to help with all the hard stuff I would totally make a shmup like Gradius. Turns out, those people that only do the hard stuff don't exist.
They do if you pay them enough
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #13
neutral
Savage Mad Cunt
neutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MC
Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Which parts do you consider to be the hard bits?

------------------
Quote:
New years day 2000 my guitar became self-aware. It kills fascists with three chords and the truth.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #14
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenBeats View Post
so who here has experience in actually making a game of some sort. i wanna make something super simple but fun, like reverse flappy bird and yo uplay as a penis flying thru vaginas or something (copyrighted raidenbeats 2014 lol )
I don't think anyone has released any game yet...
But try something like gamemaker and give it a shot!
I swear I won't steal your idea!

------------------
Old 08-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #15
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38897

I used to do a lot of games with flash, game maker and MF2, but they were too hard to make perfect.

I'll probably do something musicy with flash.

Last edited by Mctoast; 08-06-2014 at 12:56 PM..
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mctoast
Automageddon (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #16
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

Also, to keep the pressure up, we should post an updated version per week, so we can show some progress

------------------
Old 08-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #17
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6901659
Thanked 3,449 Times in 2,088 Posts

I'm down for writing the plot for an IDMf JRPG!
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
neutral
Savage Mad Cunt
Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I'm down for writing the plot for an IDMf JRPG!
Like I said above, I've been working on an srpg. Think Fire Emblem. I'd be up for a collab if you're interested?

------------------
Quote:
Old 08-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #19
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153460
Thanked 3,069 Times in 2,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenBeats View Post
DIY mothafux

Or just play the homebrew NES game, "Jizz Wars"
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #20
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53260
Thanked 1,065 Times in 761 Posts

make a game that teaches you how to produce good

or a game that teaches me how to get all the hunnies

Advertisements

SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SKYCORE
RaidenBeats (08-06-2014)