[EDM] Chords?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 05-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
Birtan Tankir
Radial Developer
Birtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the rough
Melbourne
MC Status: 260
[EDM] Chords?

Hey guys, i need an opinion, i have noticed my tracks are lacking that 'background' sound whilst the drop is going.. i find it awkward listening to the drop and its just dead quiet in the back ground..

How would you go about making chords for a drop? or adding more depth to it?!

If that makes sense?

For example if you listen to martin garrix - animals, when it kicks in the back ground is dead quiet.
though if you listen to reload - sebastian ingrosso, when it kicks in it sounds more deep!

Thank you

Advertisements

Birtan Tankir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 57910
Thanked 1,158 Times in 773 Posts
Re: [EDM] Chords?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birtan Tankir View Post
Hey guys, i need an opinion, i have noticed my tracks are lacking that 'background' sound whilst the drop is going.. i find it awkward listening to the drop and its just dead quiet in the back ground..

If that makes sense?

For example if you listen to martin garrix - animals, when it kicks in the back ground is dead quiet.
though if you listen to reload - sebastian ingrosso, when it kicks in it sounds more deep!

Thank you
I listened to the sebastian ingrosso track up until the first drop and wow what a horribly cheesy track (just not my taste so don't take this personally). But anyway, to me it just sounds like loads of sidechained white noise in the background... He uses the white noise for the build up and then just sustains it but sidechains it to some elements in the track, probably the kick but I only listened to it once so I'll let you figure out the details.

Just take some white noise (sample or synth), stick a low pass filter on it with the cutoff slowly rising until the drop and sidechain the whole thing to the kick using a compressor...

Other than the main synthy saw lead sound (someone correct me if I'm wrong) I don't really hear any chords... Obviously noone will be able to tell you which chords to use exactly because it depends on your track but things like major 7th chords sound very happy/euphoric so something like that might work in whichever key you are working in. I'm not very good at music theory though so you'll have to play around a bit yourself...

If anyone disagrees with me here feel free to correct me

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #3
Birtan Tankir
Radial Developer
Birtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the rough
Melbourne
MC Status: 260

Okay man, thank you!
Birtan Tankir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
Almen
Minor Glitch
Almen has a spectacular aura aboutAlmen has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

in afrojack's "jack that body" and etc. drops sound very fat and massiv/ does anyone now hot wo make that effect. only thing i hear is sidechained synth in the background, but i think thats not all? what do you think?
Almen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
MapOfYourHead
Granular Poster
MapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud of
Belfast
MC Status: 1440

Quote:

If that makes sense?
professurreal answered the question based on the songs you picked, but if you really want to know how to build chords, you should really look up chord and scale construction. Making chords for a drop is really no different from making chords for any other purpose.

A IV-V7-I progression could just as easily be used for the drop as it could a buildup. Context, instrumentation and sound design is the key deciding factor here.
MapOfYourHead is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:47 PM   #6
boggii
Learning The Ropes
boggii is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

A great resource for this sort of thing is to look up famous tracks and see their chord progressions:

I'm not allowed to post links yet, but google "chordify" and you'll find an excellent repository of chord progressions for well known modern tracks
boggii is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:30 PM   #7
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848

Damn people, this isn't rocket science. Choose a pad preset, hit some white keys spaced roughly as your hand is. There. Chord.

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:54 AM   #8
jamison
Regular Freak
jamison will become famous soon enough
Austin, Texas
MC Status: 60

There are many things you can do to add a nice background to your music. Adding reverb, layering synths, adding subtle white noise (very common), adding some field recordings (personal favorite, although not appropriate for all musical styles)

Jamison
jamison is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #9
Evione
Minor Glitch
Evione will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almen View Post
in afrojack's "jack that body" and etc. drops sound very fat and massiv/ does anyone now hot wo make that effect. only thing i hear is sidechained synth in the background, but i think thats not all? what do you think?
That is just cause it's super compressed so it actually fills everything, it's just pretty easy, put some reverb on a synth (low pass and high pass the reverb), and have the whole drop peaking on -6db, and when you master it it will sound great
Evione is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #10
ILikeHorses
Granular Poster
ILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Quote:

If that makes sense?

Thank you
Both tracks are very busy before the drop. so taking out elements like in animals makes the "hollow" effect work well, like all other big room drops.
Now if you want a drop more "Full" of content. remember that the buildup can't be louder than the drop, and try not having lots of elements in the low end of the spectrum like basses, Sub basses, Un-eq'ed FX, loud white noise, etc. Chords will not make a drop sound "bigger" if that's what you want. It all comes with the whole composition BEFORE it. the drop is the climax of your track, everything else is a slave to it. do good transitions between sections, choose your sounds carefully, eq them well. now about making Chords i'd suggest you learning Scales first. is all there man, once you learn what keys can play with each other without sounding strange, you'll pull out chords very easy. but a trick i used when i didn't knew theory was to give 3-4 keys of space between each note and having the top note playing one octave lower aswell to make a "bass" to the chord. Play around with it and you'll get how chords work. but if you music lacks "depth", chords ain't the only thing that will help.

btw the ingrosso track has some Sidechained pads and synth playing chords, with a legato lead probably layered. layering things do a good job. just remember to mix everything as one element. Also, sidechain your stuff to the kicks. that works too. hope this help. if not well i tried.
ILikeHorses is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:25 PM   #11
timbob3k
Minor Glitch
timbob3k has a spectacular aura abouttimbob3k has a spectacular aura abouttimbob3k has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Check out this tutorial . Focuses on having your synth made up of three main parts.... low freq. Mid freq. And high freq... also try using white noise in background. Not sure if u have or not.... hope this helps.... [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
timbob3k is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:33 PM   #12
Bergnermd
Knob Twiddler
Bergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to behold
Wisconsin
MC Status: 760

What kind of track are you producing?

what I like to do is have something with a alot of reveb that I was using earlier in the track but bring a low pass filter down on it to about idk 6,ooo mark idk its up to you how far you can bring it down but it really gives the illusion of shoving something to the back while a new unfiltered synth sits on top (the one you want all the focus on)

Hope that helps

Also having white noise just off in the back round sidechained gives a nice effect (no filter sweeps) and then cutting it out the second time your drop comes around really makes it feel open
(mostly used for dance tracks)

If it is a dub step track then the a triad chord on beats 2 and 4 (usually with the root note I for a minor key or the VI of a major key helps) and using delay or reverb to fill out the space

Experiment!!!!

------------------
Bergnermd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:57 AM   #13
shmills
Regular Freak
shmills has a spectacular aura aboutshmills has a spectacular aura aboutshmills has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Putting it during a moment of tension (V chord or vii diminished)
in a progression might work b/c people would be expecting a return to tonic
shmills is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:58 AM   #14
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65260
Thanked 1,305 Times in 985 Posts

One thing that can help for overdubbing of chords to a bass or for overdubbing of a bass to chords:

use your DAW's markers/regions to label what the notes are so you can watch out for them while you overdub.
it's basically a cue list for your mind. This is helpful if what you've composed is too complex to memorize.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
vashima (12-23-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 09:51 PM   #15
Lepstok
Knob Twiddler
Lepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2360

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmills View Post
Putting it during a moment of tension (V chord or vii diminished)
in a progression might work b/c people would be expecting a return to tonic
Yeah or trick them so instead of the tonic go back to iv after V, or do a vi° - II7 to i

------------------
Lepstok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #16
Bergnermd
Knob Twiddler
Bergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to behold
Wisconsin
MC Status: 760

Something I have been doing is the White noise fx band pass down for the first half of the Drop/ 15secs but then on the 2nd half 8 bars/ 15 seconds of the drop I like to add a riser like a simple 1/8 note plucky reverb on a pitch bend going up is an easy way to transition back to anther part of the sung I think, and of coarse you can come up with your own variations

also setting like a "floor" idk what else to call it but lets say using an airy pad held one the root note or the iv note / relative minor in the back round pumping hard at a low level can really help set the mood of the drop

I just realized I already posted in here giving a totally different answer

It depends what mood I am in I guess

Advertisements

------------------
Bergnermd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote