Major and Minor Pentatonic Scales for Keyboard?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 05-07-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
cole minor
Minor Glitch
cole minor will become famous soon enoughcole minor will become famous soon enough
Ft Myers FL
MC Status: 110
Major and Minor Pentatonic Scales for Keyboard?

I know most of my minor pentatonics. How do I change them from minor to major pentatonic?

Advertisements

cole minor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
frajen
Analog Lurker
frajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud of
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 1379
Re: Major and Minor Pentatonic Scales for Keyboard?

The most common usage of minor pentatonic goes for:
1 m3 4 5 7
For C minor that would be:
C Eb F G Bb

For major:
1 2 3 5 6
C D E G A

Your question might have been answered in the other thread but there is no standard "way to change" - your question probably implies something to do with harmony.

That being said, notice the Eb Major pentatonic
Eb F G Bb C

has the same notes as the C minor pentatonic.

Let's assume your harmony is in C minor, and your melody is a C minor pentatonic.
You can then change your harmony to Eb major, and your melody should still sound in key.

------------------
Website
Soundcloud

Piano improvisations:
frajen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to frajen
cole minor (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
cole minor
Minor Glitch
cole minor will become famous soon enoughcole minor will become famous soon enough
Ft Myers FL
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by frajen View Post
1 m3 4 5 7
C Eb F G Bb

For major:
1 2 3 5 6
C D E G A

Your question might have been answered in the other thread but there is no standard "way to change" - your question probably implies something to do with harmony.

Eb F G Bb C

Let's assume your harmony is in C minor, and your melody is a C minor pentatonic.
You can then change your harmony to Eb major, and your melody should still sound in key.

Thank you! Great Information, I think I pretty much understood and absorbed what I've learned here. I'mm gonna book mark it in case I gota look back at it, but that does help a TON!! thanks so much man!!!

- Cole Minor -
- [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
-
- Me On Keyboardzzzz -
cole minor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 56310
Thanked 1,126 Times in 763 Posts

I find this very useful

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

edit: typo

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
frajen
Analog Lurker
frajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud of
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
Loved that site when I was learning jazz stuff daily

------------------
Website
Soundcloud

Piano improvisations:
frajen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:06 AM   #6
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6892609
Thanked 3,268 Times in 1,985 Posts

If you remove the second and sixth note of a minor scale you make the minor pentatonic. If you remove the fourth and seventh note of the major scale, you have the major pentatonic. Hopefully you're that the minor second is the major seventh and the major fourth is the minor sixth.

Once again, relative major and minor are just different modes of the diatonic scale. The pentatonic scale is a five note scale derived from the diatonic scale, so it functions in the same manner.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
Almen
Minor Glitch
Almen has a spectacular aura aboutAlmen has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
If you remove the second and sixth note of a minor scale you make the minor pentatonic. If you remove the fourth and seventh note of the major scale, you have the major pentatonic. Hopefully you're that the minor second is the major seventh and the major fourth is the minor sixth.

Once again, relative major and minor are just different modes of the diatonic scale. The pentatonic scale is a five note scale derived from the diatonic scale, so it functions in the same manner.
Thank you a lot! this really helps
Almen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
MapOfYourHead
Granular Poster
MapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud of
Belfast
MC Status: 1440

Quote:
Originally Posted by frajen View Post
1 m3 4 5 7
C Eb F G Bb

For major:
1 2 3 5 6
C D E G A

Eb F G Bb C

Changing to G minor or F is really no different to changing to Eb. You're changing the tonal centre of the piece, so it'll sound different even though you might be using the same notes. Your melody will sound different as your harmony is different.

Otherwise you've really just been playing in C minor the whole time
MapOfYourHead is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:15 AM   #9
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 4110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole minor View Post
I know most of my minor pentatonics. How do I change them from minor to major pentatonic?
play your minor pentatonic scales exactly as you know them3 semi tones down from the major key you want to play in. So Cmaj=Aminor pentatonic scale. You're playing cmaj
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #10
Kyrpto
Radial Developer
Kyrpto has a spectacular aura aboutKyrpto has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole minor View Post
Are you familiar with the relative major/minor concept? They're only 1 and a half steps apart.

Advertisements

Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote