Lifespan of Big Room?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 20-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Eight Arms
Learning The Ropes
Eight Arms will become famous soon enough
Toronto
MC Status: 60
Lifespan of Big Room?

What do you think? Will Big Room stay popular for a longer time or vanish from the mainstream this year already?

This sounds like a dumb question but I feel like the genre is already getting old.

Advertisements

Eight Arms is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Eight Arms
PROton42 (20-05-2014)
Old 22-03-2014, 01:49 AM   #2
NGU
Minor Glitch
NGU is currently spamming hard
On an island in the sun
MC Status: 10
Re: Lifespan of Big Room?

i still like it =]
NGU is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
slugvision
Knob Twiddler
slugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond repute
Tampere
MC Status: 3460

I don't think big names never get old. For example, some mainstream Big Beat artists are still going pretty strong(Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Fatboy Slimů) after 15-20 years. But yeah, I think Big Room as a mainstream genre will lose it's popularity to a some other rising genre in due time. Everything evolves, including commercial music industry. I think it's going to be hard time for starting artists trying to break the bank making Big Room(that's why they make it, right?), because the markets are so full of it.

I've heard only a few big room tunes and I didn't like any of them. Way too simple compositions for my taste. Many people still seem to like it.. I don't judge them. I've come to realize, that there are many things in life that I will never understand.
slugvision is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
Boofy-
Granular Poster
Boofy- has a spectacular aura aboutBoofy- has a spectacular aura about
London
MC Status: 160

Big Room and main stage tracks will last for decades. Especially if it gets radio play.

The genre won't get old, but you are right, there are only so many hands up chord progressions out there and the only thing setting apart the good from the bad is the memorable drops that benchmark a new wave of music...

Again, Martin Garix has donned the big crescendo to minimalistic drops with songs like animals or proxy.

I love the stuff and it's what i try to emulate in my tracks too!
Boofy- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
imma3k
Soundscaper
imma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud of
narnia, chillin with mr tumnus n shit.
MC Status: 1310

things in the mainstream only seem to stay there for 1-2 years. back in like 2009 i would say the 'deadmau5 - faxing berlin' style of progressive house was the big shit, then electro came along (possibly thanks to deadmau5 too) but artists like wolfgang gartner and the like were the hot shit, then dubstep and so on. it'll be around forever now, none of those genres have died, it just wont be in the mainstream for all that long. or maybe this is an exception, i dunno.

------------------
Latest Track:
imma3k is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 03:55 AM   #6
StephenCozzone
Knob Twiddler
StephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

I think that there will always be big room and it will always have a following. However, in the future, I can see it dying down. I always use tiesto as an example. Legend has it that he once produced trance. Over time, styles change and so does what is "big".
StephenCozzone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 01:21 AM   #7
Mister_Lister
Minor Glitch
Mister_Lister has a spectacular aura aboutMister_Lister has a spectacular aura aboutMister_Lister has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I think that as a mainstream form of music, it has a limited lifespan. People will begin to tire of it. Also, I don't see it sticking around in the underground scene much either.
Mister_Lister is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 52410
Thanked 1,048 Times in 752 Posts

however big the room is
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 06:51 AM   #9
sawan20
Learning The Ropes
sawan20 is currently spamming hard
Rawalpindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGU View Post
i still like it =]
It is very interesting and I also like it.
sawan20 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 07:02 AM   #10
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963383
Thanked 4,079 Times in 2,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Arms View Post
What do you think? Will Big Room stay popular for a longer time or vanish from the mainstream this year already?

This sounds like a dumb question but I feel like the genre is already getting old.
I prefer smaller intimate rooms. So I believe small room will overtake big room by the end of the year.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #11
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

That's the thing though. Music doesn't just die one day. This discussion came up again today, a friend linked me to a classic rap video on youtube in which one of the comments was something along the lines of "why doesn't rap music exist anymore?"

I mean, it's not going anywhere. It doesn't disappear one day randomly and something else takes it's place. It's strange that a lot of people (not pointing any fingers, just in general) have this concept of information - that it's here one day and then the more information that piles up the rest just kind of gets left in the dust or disappears. It doesn't.

For the record I understand this thread is touching on what is popular or mainstream (who cares?).

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
Muse-ic (20-05-2014)
Old 20-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #12
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310

If you do some research in the mainstream market, check out its patterns when it comes to what genre lasts forever, simply disappeared or came back.

You will find the answers there.

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to neyus
Muse-ic (20-05-2014)
Old 20-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #13
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963383
Thanked 4,079 Times in 2,705 Posts

Yeah, well music, when it is made to be a product, is meant to be consumed. So we see mainstream music change and follow trends depending upon what is popular, marketable and consumable.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
edium
Sample Destroyer
edium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
That's the thing though. Music doesn't just die one day. This discussion came up again today, a friend linked me to a classic rap video on youtube in which one of the comments was something along the lines of "why doesn't rap music exist anymore?"

I mean, it's not going anywhere. It doesn't disappear one day randomly and something else takes it's place. It's strange that a lot of people (not pointing any fingers, just in general) have this concept of information - that it's here one day and then the more information that piles up the rest just kind of gets left in the dust or disappears. It doesn't.

For the record I understand this thread is touching on what is popular or mainstream (who cares?).
yea dude.. it doesnt go away, many times it just gets integrated into other genres and evolves or whatever, its never the same really. but the only constant is, whatever sound becomes 'big' is going to be copied, remixed, overused and overplayed, and the haters club wagon will come around picking up dem haterz..

what i find more interesting is how big name artists change with the seasons - some of them shits are just embarassing

------------------
please subscribe if you like my music. cheers!
edium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #15
Birtan Tankir
Radial Developer
Birtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the rough
Melbourne
MC Status: 260

bigroom is what gives me the adrenaline, depends on the notes

------------------
Check out my NEWEST Track!!

Facebook | Twitter | SoundCloud | Instagram
Birtan Tankir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #16
Sublimator
Sublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud of
Last Hole on Earth
MC Status: 1425

What a stupid name for a music style...

------------------
Sublimator is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sublimator
PROton42 (20-05-2014)
Old 20-05-2014, 05:39 PM   #17
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edium View Post
what i find more interesting is how big name artists change with the seasons - some of them shits are just embarassing
Two things about this statement kind of irk me - not in an argumentative way -1) An Artist should be allowed to write whatever kind of music they want, people change and equipment changes and no artist should be expected to stagnate themselves for the sake of their listeners, but 2) I completely agree that an artist shouldn't "change with the seasons" just for the sake of what's popular or their label, management or advertisers, because then we enter into this whole "doing it for the united corporations of america" territory that has been undermining exposure of more than one ideology for decades.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #18
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6898659
Thanked 3,389 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
however big the room is
Dude, you're way oversimplifying it. It's not just a question of how big the room is. You have to take into account how many people are there, who's playing (like if it's Avicii they'll all be up the front), whether or not you have a lanyard (shortcuts dawg) and whether or not you have pulled any hunnies!

Nah. In all seriousness - to answer your question - yes. People will still dance when you play Born Slippy.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #19
imma3k
Soundscaper
imma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud of
narnia, chillin with mr tumnus n shit.
MC Status: 1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Nah. In all seriousness - to answer your question - yes. People will still dance when you play Born Slippy.
100% confirmed. witnessed this just 2 weeks ago. bitches went cray.

------------------
Latest Track:
imma3k is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to imma3k
oly (20-05-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #20
TheOfficialHexU
Learning The Ropes
TheOfficialHexU is currently spamming hard

Goodbye Big Room