IDMforums User tips for New members
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744005741
Thanked 6,766 Times in 4,218 Posts
IDMforums User tips for New members

We seem to get a lot of the same topics coming up time and time again, with many new users seemingly unsure of how to use the search function, use Google and even how to learn by themselves in some cases.

Post your general forum tips, things you wish someone had told you sooner and IDMf threads you find/found the most useful here and I'll add them to the list which will be stickied in the Introductions area.

Hopefully this will make the forum easier and better for everyone to use.

Thanks.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by lolirl; 02-07-2014 at 03:15 PM..

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
RFJ (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8507480
Thanked 6,331 Times in 4,545 Posts
Re: IDMforums User tips for New members

To search the forums with google just add site:idmforums.com to the end of your search. For example: "Boards of Canada detuned synth site:idmforums.com"

<results for the search in "" above.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

You know you can do an [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
here too though?

Edit: although it doesn't like words 3 letters long or shorter which can make it a bit uselss at times when searching things like 'usb'.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8507480
Thanked 6,331 Times in 4,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
You know you can do an [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
here too though?

Edit: although it doesn't like words 3 letters long or shorter which can make it a bit uselss at times when searching things like 'usb'.
Yep. I know of the advance search. I just prefer google. I find what I am looking for faster with google usually.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
lolirl

Fair point.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644068
Thanked 4,896 Times in 3,160 Posts

One of the more valuable threads for the beginner with questions. They'd have to read it though...

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
Benwaa

Doesn't get any more valuable than this one: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:37 AM   #8
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

This place needs a .pdf manual on how to read the f**king manual
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:10 AM   #9
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6953983
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,589 Posts

I see a common trend in this newer generation that they want to ask how to do everything. Maybe they are craving human interaction after being so plugged in, lol.

But yeah, in this day in age I wonder why so many people come here asking questions that they could easily find in a manual or even just searching on the internet- this forum.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:03 AM   #10
Benwaa

posting n the introductions forum doesn't count towards your post count
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam
MC Status: 7010

Just to add a different perspective:

It's quite common for 'core users' on any forum to be annoyed by the same kind of questions popping up in different shapes from time to time and yes, sometimes it does seem close to spamming or just plain lazines but..

As a beginner or being completely new to a certain topic the info you find through Google can be quite conflicting or -for some context variation- lacking a frame of reference to digest the information, it can be difficult to apply the found info unto your own specific situation. Also if you enjoy or value the opinion of certain people on a forum it can be of more help having 1 on 1 feedback.

Furthermore it can also be about sharing your enthousiasm -like being in the market for a new set of monitors- already having narrowed down your options and looking for a way to share that excitement and 'dressing up' the fun of your purchase by posting on a forum, in a way double-checking your thoughts.

Lastly -kinda depending on the layout and abundance of a forum though- I find it to be helpful when scrolling through the history of a certain topic to see it popping up with intervals in time. This way you can assess the posts better, putting it in a historical context ('hermeneutics' so you will) and see how thoughts about the subject change over time -influenced by new technology or more experience from users.

To make the example of 'what are the best monitors' more concrete, this would translate to new released series or people having used a set for a couple of years by now. Or you read on different fora how a 4x4 room genrally won't do for 8" monitors, but what if you have a 5x5 room? Where's the breakeven point in your specific situation?

So while I obivously agree that questions that seem to imply one hasn't done any research prior to posting such as 'I have $1000 dollar, which monitors should I buy?' can be annoying.. the same question accompanied by roomsize, roomtreatment, 2 or 3 options, argumentation and such is more valid in my opinion.

Guess what I'm trying to say is, I can imagine that for experienced users all the newbee questions can seem to pollute the forum and from an equally experienced frame of reference may even seem redundant, for novices in a certain area, it can be the very basic and fundamental questions that seem daunting -as the frame of reference is missing to translate the abundance of info unto your own situation.

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Spiritos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.
MC Status: 421868929
Thanked 4,819 Times in 2,787 Posts

Are all the links showing up as code and not actual links only in this thread for anybody else?

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
Benwaa

needed to move the thread. working again now
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #14
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.
MC Status: 421868929
Thanked 4,819 Times in 2,787 Posts

I thought there was a joke I was missing.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #15
lolirl

Don't worry, there are still plenty.

Advertisements

Thanks to lolirl