Should i learn how to use other DAWs?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #1
NightlightSociety
Master of the LFO
NightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond repute
Bay Area
MC Status: 2910
Should i learn how to use other DAWs?

Hello. I've been using FL Studio 10 for a few years now, I know it pretty well. Its the first daw i used, And in the beginning i got super used to it, So when i got Ableton Live for the first time, a year or so ago, It was so different i gave up on learning it early on. I was just wondering if it would be good for me to learn Ableton Live, Or perhaps a different daw other than FL Studio, Because FL Studio, and Audacity for recording vocals/guitar is for the most part all i use software-wise.

Just wondering if it'd be worth it to learn something else, Cause i'm not sure if FL Studio is more or less advanced than some other DAW's
Thanks, Lucas.

Advertisements

------------------
NightlightSociety is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:07 AM   #2
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776
Re: Should i learn how to use other DAWs?

Why switch if you know it well? switch if another software has something identifiable to offer you personally over another daw, not because one or the other is supposedly "more advanced". The best tool is the one you know, unless it's not working for you for some reason you didn't adequately define in your post beyond some vague uncertainty of your daw being "not advanced enough".
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
CallAndResponse
Soundscaper
CallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4210

There is no point at all. FL studio has everything you will ever need as an electronic music producer. I don't mean to be rude but you are probably looking to blame your shortcomings as a producer on something else and your DAW seems and easy target. This isn't exactly uncommon, I see people all the time thinking that a DAW change will revolutionize their production which it won't unless that DAW didn't suit you to begin with. Music production becomes easier the more you practice as everything becomes second nature and you can focus on being creative more easily with worrying about things like "what was that hotkey", "urrg how do I do this and that again?" etc. Changing DAW will just be a big waste of time and effort which could have been spent mastering the DAW you've already been using for years and will also take you an unnecessary step backwards. In my opinion its not a good idea at all.
CallAndResponse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallAndResponse View Post
There is no point at all. FL studio has everything you will ever need as an electronic music producer.
I've heard it's not the best for recording external instruments, midi-syncing external gear etc. Even things like bouncing down & re-sampling seem quite tedious in FL?
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
NightlightSociety
Master of the LFO
NightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond repute
Bay Area
MC Status: 2910

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallAndResponse View Post
There is no point at all. FL studio has everything you will ever need as an electronic music producer. I don't mean to be rude but you are probably looking to blame your shortcomings as a producer on something else and your DAW seems and easy target. This isn't exactly uncommon, I see people all the time thinking that a DAW change will revolutionize their production which it won't unless that DAW didn't suit you to begin with. Music production becomes easier the more you practice as everything becomes second nature and you can focus on being creative more easily with worrying about things like "what was that hotkey", "urrg how do I do this and that again?" etc. Changing DAW will just be a big waste of time and effort which could have been spent mastering the DAW you've already been using for years and will also take you an unnecessary step backwards. In my opinion its not a good idea at all.
Blame my shortcomings? lol, no, that's definitely not it. I just know alot of people use Ableton Live, And i heard it was better in some aspects. Plus alot more people use it. I've been practicing my music production for the last three years, So i dont need the wholeee practice makes perfect speech. I'm practicing every day, As im sure everyone on this forum is aswell. Sure, I'm not as professional as some of the other guys who have been doing this 10-20 years+ , But i'm far from the typical beginning producer whose been producing for a month and has decided to put out his crappy first recordings, Who would most likely try switching DAW's for the reason you said above, The shortcomings of his own recordings.

------------------
NightlightSociety is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightlightSociety View Post
And i heard it was better in some aspects.
you're "not sure if FLStudio is more or less advanced than some other daws", and you've "heard Ableton was better in some aspects"? sounds like 2 very solid reason to drop the daw you have 10 years of experience with to start from scratch with a new one. Seriously, if you can't start articulating specific shortcomings of FL, or specific things about Ableton that you think you need, I think you should probably stick with what you have the most experience with. Scyn seems to be the only person in this thread who has made any remark regarding specific shortcomings, but Ableton is another program that is not particularly optimal for doing audio recording and has some functionality issues with using external instruments (no sysex support? wat?), it has plug-in delay compensation shortcomings, and in my particular experience is not the most stable of the bunch, I save constantly to avoid data loss (but I still love it). For me, I get super-jelly when I see what people are able to do in FL's piano roll (note/audio ghosting, the ability to slice across multiple notes on a diagonal, etc...) that thing looks seriously amazing, but it's not a solid enough reason to learn a whole new daw. People have made great music on all these daws (possibly even Dubturbo, who knows?) so it really comes down to personal preference, and as you said you tried, and then subsequently didn't get on with Ableton, unless you have a compelling reason to switch, I'd stick with FL. I'm not even saying you definitely *shouldn't* switch, or spend a little time re-trying Ableton per se, but since you're asking, it is my personal opinion that you have not offered any compelling evidence that you need to add another daw/switch daws, this message has been brought to you by a hardcore Ableton fan.

Last edited by penguinoid; 01-30-2014 at 08:42 PM..
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Suffice
Analog Lurker
Suffice is a glorious beacon of lightSuffice is a glorious beacon of lightSuffice is a glorious beacon of lightSuffice is a glorious beacon of lightSuffice is a glorious beacon of lightSuffice is a glorious beacon of light
South Portland, Maine
MC Status: 510

It's really what your most comfortable with, if you feel the need to stretch out, try some demos but otherwise stick with what you know. it doesnt hurt to expand and rewire DAWs into e/o if the option is available. I run Maschine is ableton quite freq as do i with reason. I think gaining chord/piano/melody knowledge would be a better choice for time IMO.
Suffice is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #8
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644068
Thanked 4,896 Times in 3,160 Posts

I'mnot saying you should switch but I think ableton ddefinitely excels In the audio editing department. I like the way it handles recording and manually editing because it doesn't require a plugin to do it.

With fl studio the best method is through Edison and Slicex. I like the least amount of steps possible and w fl it seemed there was always one more step. For me the mixer and pattern blocks were a nightmare too. Just give me some audio and midi tracks and be done with it.

I'm not debating nor trying to turn this into a boring vs. thread, just pointing out what I see to be aadvantages as related to my process.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14710

If you're happy with the music you make, then make it. Don't worry about getting another DAW. But if you're trying to branch out, want to make some different music, or take what you do to the next level, learning different things is always a good idea!!

I use Ableton for pretty much everything in a general sense. But then I use Recycle for cutting things up for the SP 404. Sometimes I rewire. Sometimes Ableton is just a host and sequencer. Sometimes I take stems and throw them in Pro Tools for mixing or going to a different studio. Handy for the stuff I do with my band but I still track in Ableton! It's just a back and forth at this point.

But if you make pretty much one style of music, drive FL studio like a fine sports car, or doubt these other DAWs then just stick with it.

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #10
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

I don't see why you can't use both? Or more? Does an artist ever switch mediums because they are bored with their current one, or do they do so to explore art further and use the tools at their disposal to create new things that they couldn't in their previous medium? I don't think a painter that has switched to sculpture to appreciate the human figure more has ever considered stopping painting entirely.

The best advice I can give you is to learn as much as you can.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #11
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7236379

Yes. Not because they are better, or because you're going to abandon your workflow for good. You should do it because it allows you to learn new ways of thinking that you can incorporate in other DAWs. Knowledge is always useful.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
PROton42 (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #12
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC

It's also important to note that a lot of DAWs are cross-compatible through the use of technology such as Rewire, or even just through basic MIDI!

------------------
Old 01-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #13
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8513480
Thanked 6,451 Times in 4,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
I've heard it's not the best for recording external instruments, midi-syncing external gear etc. Even things like bouncing down & re-sampling seem quite tedious in FL?
People always say these things, but I felt like they haven't used it since many versions ago! Routing audio on the mixer window is so easy. Its just a drop down menu : )

You do have to use an VST (Edison) to record you external instruments and record them in real time. You have to record external audio in real time in every DAW don't you?

MIDI sync is really easy and their little VST MIDI-Out makes sequencing external gear with the piano roll a snap!

I really think there are just a lot of users out there that just can't be bothered to read the manual as it would take away from their time trying to craft the perfect drop...

As far as I know there is not an "instant resample" or "instant render to new audio track" in FL Studio. That is a bit of a bitch for me as I prefer to render to audio ASAP.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:59 AM   #14
anchoricex
Learning The Ropes
anchoricex is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I think if you're powerful in one there is no need to switch. I started tinking around with FlStudio a few months ago but I'm trying to switch to pro tools before I go too far down the line. Very difficult to change!
anchoricex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #15
mr.Qaobab
Knob Twiddler
mr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant future
rvk
MC Status: 1924

I agree that there is no point in switching to other linear daw if you feel comfortable with what you`re using. However adding different kind of daw to your arsenal is very rewarding and will definetely improve your skills in composition and especially in sound design, I would suggest to try out some modular daws like audiomulch, bidule, mux and also take look at trackers, renoise is your best bet there.
mr.Qaobab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #16
DCA
Sample Destroyer
DCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110

if youre not going to switch, no why bother

i switched from ableton to logic though, and havent looked back

------------------
Support from iknodubstep, ThatBassNation
Squinty Bass Records
DCA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #17
CocaineAudio
Soundscaper
CocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud of
Newark, New Jersey
MC Status: 1010

other daws aren't gonna make your music sound better if that's what your wondering.. it sounds like you think you plateu'ed at fl studio and want to use something new.. I'd personally stick with fl cause taking time out to learn a new daw is a waste of time Imo cause that time could be used perfecting your craft in fl studio...

like what if you go back to use ableton for like a year and your like decent at using it.. while your a master already at using fl? feel me.

------------------
Follow Me On Twitter: @SluRty
SlurRty Memories (Original Mix) *Released 6-18-14* =
CocaineAudio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #18
m1st3rl
Regular Freak
m1st3rl is a savage MCm1st3rl is a savage MCm1st3rl is a savage MCm1st3rl is a savage MCm1st3rl is a savage MCm1st3rl is a savage MCm1st3rl is a savage MCm1st3rl is a savage MCm1st3rl is a savage MCm1st3rl is a savage MCm1st3rl is a savage MC
MC Status: 291188

My first DAW was Ableton 5 and I found it to be overwhelming. Then I moved on to Logic Pro 8, then my current DAW Logic Pro 9. I love Logic and find that there is an enormous amount of potential in this program. I'll move on to Logic Pro X sometime in the summer. For now I'm more than happy with Logic 9.
m1st3rl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:51 AM   #19
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17060

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
People always say these things, but I felt like they haven't used it since many versions ago! Routing audio on the mixer window is so easy. Its just a drop down menu : )

You do have to use an VST (Edison) to record you external instruments and record them in real time. You have to record external audio in real time in every DAW don't you?

MIDI sync is really easy and their little VST MIDI-Out makes sequencing external gear with the piano roll a snap!

I really think there are just a lot of users out there that just can't be bothered to read the manual as it would take away from their time trying to craft the perfect drop...

As far as I know there is not an "instant resample" or "instant render to new audio track" in FL Studio. That is a bit of a bitch for me as I prefer to render to audio ASAP.
set up a file in the options file propoties menu and the on parts you want to bounce press ctrl b
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:17 AM   #20
PROton42
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocaineAudio View Post
taking time out to learn a new daw is a waste of time Imo
Going to adamantly disagree here on the grounds that learning anything is never a waste of time.

Advertisements

------------------
Thanks to PROton42
jVs (03-06-2017)