Big room is getting ridiculous.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
qwbzerra
Analog Lurker
qwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to behold
Fullerton, CA
MC Status: 860
Big room is getting ridiculous.

I'm sorry to rant but I feel a real discussion needs to be held on this kind of "music". It's at the point where anyone with a general knowledge of white noise, massive, and 909 kick drums can make a tune and get thousands if not hundreds of thousands of views on youtube/soundcloud...

https://soundcloud.com/brandnewbass/...ace-race-remix

I heard this song today and it is the simply the most unintelligent, boring repetitive song I've heard in a while. I respect other's music, and their tastes in music. I am never one to hate on a particular artist. But when the song sounds like you made it in 5 minutes and it's already a "club banger" it's time for a change.

What are your opinions on this kind of music? Do you like it? Am I crazy? I want to hear your side of the story.

/rant

Advertisements

qwbzerra is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to qwbzerra
Alert (03-19-2015)
Old 01-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
wierdsnow
Minor Glitch
wierdsnow is a jewel in the roughwierdsnow is a jewel in the roughwierdsnow is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
Re: Big Room is Getting Ridiculous

Hmmm. My opinion on this track is balanced. Honestly I don't like this kind of music, cuz this sounds just like big bunch of energy and cheesy 808s. Boring track. Anyway it has very good mixing and mastering quality. sound is crystal clear. And it easy to understand, again It good to make stupid people dance. Easy to listen for people makes it peak in charts of that boring and uninteresting world of BIG room. But you can find good peaces of work in that scene.

ANYWAY why you even care? Ranting won't change the fact that a lot of people love easy stuff. This money and music producers make it just to get that easy dolla. We need to promote interesting stuff instead and leave this kind of music for people who find it interesting.
wierdsnow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to wierdsnow
Nystagmus (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 24960

Don't care. Mainstream music will be mainstream music.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nyul
Alert (03-19-2015)
Old 01-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6954383
Thanked 3,899 Times in 2,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdsnow View Post
ANYWAY why you even care? Ranting won't change the fact that a lot of people love easy stuff. This money and music producers make it just to get that easy dolla. We need to promote interesting stuff instead and leave this kind of music for people who find it interesting.
This. Most people are not invested in music- so they (A) do not know any better what is quality or not, (B) they are not motivated to look for anything more so for them it's just easy to turn on the radio or see what everyone else likes.

It's kind of like that with everything really.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #5
qwbzerra
Analog Lurker
qwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to behold
Fullerton, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdsnow View Post
Hmmm. My opinion on this track is balanced. Honestly I don't like this kind of music, cuz this sounds just like big bunch of energy and cheesy 808s. Boring track. Anyway it has very good mixing and mastering quality. sound is crystal clear. And it easy to understand, again It good to make stupid people dance. Easy to listen for people makes it peak in charts of that boring and uninteresting world of BIG room. But you can find good peaces of work in that scene.

I care because it's dumbing people's musical tastes down. People are fascinated when I show them IDM or glitch or some other kind of music that makes them think, this stuff doesn't promote anything but popping molly and raging at some festival.

And it's making electronic music look bad.

When I tell people I make electronic music they get confused when I tell them I don't make big room.

Some people have no idea what real music is, because all they listen to is this crap thinking it's REAL electronic music. I think it will come and go like every other fad, but it just seems to be staying around way too long.
Thanks to qwbzerra
Alert (03-19-2015)
Old 01-26-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
Bipolar Joe
Soundscaper
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7410

That's an arrogant as balls statement. The only music that made me think was the one teaching me my times tables, and real music is any sound created or recorded with artistic intention. Real electronic music? Dude, Rush played on electric guitars. They can be classed as electronic music. Form a cogent argument, God dammit! You're making me forget all the intelligent things that listening to Matt Lange taught me.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:13 PM   #7
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6954383
Thanked 3,899 Times in 2,595 Posts

I hate to break this to you but the word mainstream exists for a reason. Most people don't want to listen to anything else than what is popular or they are to lazy to seek out what it is they like. And most people have bland taste and they find things that push the boundaries hard to listen to.

Edit- I want to add that just because something makes it big in the mainstream arena doesn't mean it is bad. There are many artists I love who are popular.

Getting mad about it is kind of pointless! Besides everything I mentioned taste in music/art is subjective. So what you think it good music may not be the same for someone else.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
qwbzerra
Analog Lurker
Fullerton, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
I hate to break this to you but the word mainstream exists for a reason. Most people don't want to listen to anything else than what is popular or they are to lazy to seek out what it is they like. And most people have bland taste and they find things that push the boundaries hard to listen to.

Edit- I want to add that just because something makes it big in the mainstream arena doesn't mean it is bad. There are many artists I love who are popular.

Getting mad about it is kind of pointless! Besides everything I mentioned taste in music/art is subjective. So what you think it good music may not be the same for someone else.
Yeah you are right. I guess I was still just bitter about that post somebody did a while back about how they only wanted to make big room house because it was the best kind of music and it will make him tons of money.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #9
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65310
Thanked 1,306 Times in 985 Posts

wierdsnow summed it up in a way that I agree with.

Don't waste time complaining about trash, instead promote the stuff that is truly innovative and NOT getting enough attention.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
qwbzerra (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #10
FTD
Ghostly
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3462105

It's cool that you're passionate but life's too short to be worrying to much about shit music. Just scorn on it occasionally from a distance while you define your own tastes.

Anyway, nothing wrong with a bit of elitism. I'm sure you'd wince in horror if Avicci started playing all your favorite tracks at mega raves in Vegas.

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
hotwatermusic
Soundscaper
hotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2210

Things get worse every year, Avicci does not sound that bad since Martin Garrix
hotwatermusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #12
CallAndResponse
Soundscaper
CallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4210

The thing many people forget while sitting behind their computer is that its called "big room" house for a reason. Its meant to be pumped at a high volume in a room full of intoxicated 20 somethings (and teens). If you are not in a big room with a great system and you are not intoxicated then of course its gonna sound like shit. Big room house isn't meant to break boundries and innovate, its meant to make drunk people bounce around like idiots and have a good time. I don't listen to big room house in my spare time. Do I like it? Well if its a good tune and its played in the scenario mentioned above then I guess I do. Also big room house is much like dubstep in that there are songs in the genre which are fucking awesome but because so many people hop on the bandwagon and make it 99% of it sounds like shit and gives it all a bad name.

I get how many producers get annoyed because they practice for hundreds and thousands of hours crafting their own sound and then some guy copies Animals and gets thousands of plays on his tunes but really why bother caring? There will always be sell outs and you know what, when big room house dies that guy will have no clue how to follow up on his success because he hasn't learned how to be a musician. Its all fake success and not worth caring about.

The only thing that annoys me about Big Room house is when awesome producers start only releasing big room tracks. I have no problem with anyone making a big room track but if you have built up a following through other genre/s its criminal to deprive those followers of music while you search for your next big pay check by only ever making the "in" genre of the moment because that is the essence of "selling out" (a word I don't use often). This is the reason the whole of beatport is now big room house, because hardly anyone is producing anything else and its so sad.

Making a big room house track is not selling out, collaborating with Rihanna is not selling out as long as you then go back to your beat lab and make some more tunes that you are known for as an artist and a producer. What is selling out to me is when you no longer make the music you want to make because you are looking to make more money, well at least that is my take on "selling out", feel free to disagree.
CallAndResponse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to CallAndResponse
Nystagmus (01-27-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 04:07 AM   #13
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14610

I share a studio with a guy that loves trance and big room in general. I'm probably about as far away from that as it goes. We even have been working on a live set and making music together regularly yet these interests are completely at odds.

I personally can't stand it. But then again I want to make a melody long enough that Strauss would be shocked accompanied by some of the most ridiculous syncopation I can dream up. That doesn't fit a lot of genres in electronic music. It probably wouldn't end up being super danceable. Different folks, different strokes. But man, I feel you on cheese that mutates with delays.

But getting people to elevate their thinking as a whole... to challenge themselves musically through what they listen to... People have written books about this, written grants to carry out the ideas, and have come up short. If you've got a good way to shift everyone's thinking, I'm all ears. That being rather inconclusive to me is why I dropped my music education major.

I personally have let ideas evolve out of control and are no longer a good tune. Then it's weird what makes a tune good. Subjective would be a good word for all of this shit. Pauly D gets paid all sorts of money to show up, be a dick, and play Levels. I think the whole CREAM issue is what really gets us down about all of this. Hell, you can be gigging every weekend and still not have enough money - believe that shit. The game's a bitch.

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:14 AM   #14
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

I think what's even worse than "big room" music is when people make threads complaining about it. Its like "hey everyone, just in case you were enjoying your day, lets all bitch and moan and listen to this music we don't like, so we can talk about how bad it is". It has a purpose, just let it be. There are far more constructive things you could be discussing. Why didn't you make a thread about music you think is good? I think when people complain about how bad certain music is its a sign of insecurity about their own tastes more than anything.

... anyways, preparing for cloudy and a chance of
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to statisticquill
Muse-ic (06-15-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #15
Indican Sound
Knob Twiddler
Indican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant future
Brighton!!!
MC Status: 1860

I agree with you, i can't stand this rubbish, but, statisticquill is right.

------------------
Keepin it real on the interwebz!

A Fine Time To Be LP Available now at http://dustedwax.org/dwk253.html
Indican Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #16
wierdsnow
Minor Glitch
wierdsnow is a jewel in the roughwierdsnow is a jewel in the roughwierdsnow is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I think this is off-topic but I remembered good peace of EDM. I really loved idea, emotional and nice track plus the production value is outstanding Camo and Krooked - All night( Original mix)

This one of rare things when EDM sounds really good. Give it a try.

PS. This track also classified as cheesy drum and bass in some places.
wierdsnow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #17
chiptraxxx
Radial Developer
chiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to behold

Havent heard the word "big room" before. Lots of reverb? Must check it out. I use to little of it sometimes none at all. Maybe i can learn something :-D

------------------
chiptraxxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #18
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744006091
Thanked 6,773 Times in 4,221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptraxxx View Post
Lots of reverb?
Nope.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progres...Big_room_house
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #19
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Saw this quote from Robert Henke, reminded me of this thread.
Quote:
The problem with electronic music is you have too many options.
And that those many options often make it hard for you to make a decision.
My feeling is the fact that so much of electronic club music sounds the same stems from this fear.
You have all these options and what do you do? You just do what you know works.
source
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to scyn
Nyul (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #20
chiptraxxx
Radial Developer
chiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Ahh the house maffia okay must put in some offtopic on that. One of the guys cousins dad lived right next to me in the 80s (in rissne) and one day he and another guy had a little fistfight outside and the other guy who owns a cowboyhat worn by the dad of one of thr actors in true bloods father got home to fetch a hammer. Did not know how it ended :-) i can try to get more info if anyone is intrested :-D

Advertisements

------------------
chiptraxxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote

Big room is getting ridiculous. Tags
the big comfy casting couch