How do u come up with quality catchy melodies?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 18-01-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460
How do u come up with quality catchy melodies?

Whats your process?

Find a good sound then make melodies without backing?

Create some drums or chords then try to make melodies over it?

What do you usually do to create riffs/melodies

And how do some people such as tiesto and all the other famous musicians and chart music make riffs and melodies so catchy they sell millions and get stuck in your head...and sound unique.

How does one do it lol

Guess there is no defenitive answer or wed all be making no1 hits with catchy melodies.

Advertisements

JayMSay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941831
Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,575 Posts
Re: How do u come up with quality catchy melodies?

I don't know.... like, trying? Doing things usually makes you better at doing things. You basically just asked how to make music.

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute

so simple really

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

some catchy ones
Old 18-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I don't know.... like, trying? Doing things usually makes you better at doing things. You basically just asked how to make music.
yes but moreso would one just sit with a keyboard and try to make a melody or more likely they have already got some chordds or drums going on in the back..
Old 18-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
ThePointingMan
Learning The Ropes
ThePointingMan is currently spamming hard
Vancouver-BC
MC Status: 10

I'd say any melody I've created has come from either
A: a good sound
B: a joke sound
I can sit there trying for days to get something that sounds even remotely interesting with nothing showing up, but if I spend a bunch of time making a nice synth patch then BOOM, something that I find catchy just rolls out. Usually while trying to make a patch I'll be messing around with my midi keyboard hitting random notes that I think sound cool together while I tweak everything. Once there's a sound that I like I think my sub conscience just does the rest for me, it links the notes together in my mind and plays it up in my head. Not having that strong a grasp of music theory this is where things get difficult, I need to figure out exactly what notes are being played in my head and put them into the DAW. I wouldn't say my ears are pitch perfect either, soooooo that can take a while. I still consider myself to be quite a novice by the way, but this is just how I go about doing things.

Earlier on however my brain didn't do any work for me, I literally just put in random notes, if it didn't sound good I tried again until it did sound good, I guess eventually the mind just catches up on patterns that I'm not aware of to help me out in making something at least moderately catchy!
ThePointingMan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePointingMan View Post
I'd say any melody I've created has come from either
A: a good sound
B: a joke sound
I can sit there trying for days to get something that sounds even remotely interesting with nothing showing up, but if I spend a bunch of time making a nice synth patch then BOOM, something that I find catchy just rolls out. Usually while trying to make a patch I'll be messing around with my midi keyboard hitting random notes that I think sound cool together while I tweak everything. Once there's a sound that I like I think my sub conscience just does the rest for me, it links the notes together in my mind and plays it up in my head. Not having that strong a grasp of music theory this is where things get difficult, I need to figure out exactly what notes are being played in my head and put them into the DAW. I wouldn't say my ears are pitch perfect either, soooooo that can take a while. I still consider myself to be quite a novice by the way, but this is just how I go about doing things.
yeh music theory would help a lot in creating melodies and music in general lol..I should work on that.

Sit and listen to different sounds between jumps in tones, and scale notes etc...

BUt anyway youd say that u dont ahve a backing track to make melodies/ideas u just create the ideas inthin air as they would say

Other songs are more chordal based? strings and pads i guess they dont have melodies like lead lines as much but maybe the producer got song idea just by playing chord patterns?

So it dont always need to be one note melodies etc
Old 18-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

I think a good idea to get sounds into head would be try to recreate well known melodies like here comes the bride..when the saints come marching in...silent night.we wish u merry xmas....that ice hockey tune lol...maybe thats good idea mmmm
Old 18-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

The key to any great melody is resolution.

Find a way to resolve it and you've got it made.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
stray medicine (23-01-2016)
Old 18-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
The key to any great melody is resolution.

Find a way to resolve it and you've got it made.
makes no sense to me lol

defo 100x easeir to make melodies on piano than guitar though..must be the layout and way you play it with fingers vs pick and hold
Old 18-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #10
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

This explaineds it much better than I can...

)

You know how with a good melody your brain knows the note it's going to end on before it gets there?

That's what I mean.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
This explaineds it much better than I can...

)

You know how with a good melody your brain knows the note it's going to end on before it gets there?

That's what I mean.
ah right yeh funny that but true you hear 3 notes you know what the next 3 notes will be.

Its a question and answer thing most often the way the melody works.

I tried to do it in this one..but its nothing special. Its not unique or catchy or repetitive enough to be a riff but its quite easy to anticipate the next notes

starts at 0:35

and then again 2:45 more melodic question answer stuff

and after 3:00 a new one..
Old 18-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #12
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 18210

just a heads up 9pm till i come is a guitar sample so he dinnt actually come up with that one.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389648
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,760 Posts

Humming in the car on my way back from work, mentally tired and head full of melodies. Singing improvised songs to my kids. Waking up in the morning with a melody in my head. Taking a shit or taking a shower (some of the best melodies I've made come to me when I was just about to take a dump. The basics of[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
came to me in the bathtub, and had "written itself" in about ten minutes or so).
Or I just simply sit down and improvise/make/create/come up with melodies (sing, guitar, piano, whatever).

Edit: Melodies to me is like language or monologing or storytelling - melodic phrasing, breathing rests/pauses, dynamic and expressive pitch dynamics are all important. To me, most poems, sentences and phrases have a built-in rythm and melody already. I wrote poems and lyrics for many years. I also studied music for a number of years, and then I tried "to forget about it" in order to make it come all naturally.

You don't always want to hear legato notes in a fixed volume/velocity. Practicing drums can have a good affect on melody-making, as you can mix and blend rhythms to gel/fix the words. And don't forget the rests (as they are almost as important as the notes).

Last edited by Evelon; 18-01-2014 at 10:12 AM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand
MC Status: 101163691
Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,047 Posts

I guess "quality melodies" is a subjective term.. But I sometimes use doping..

Cannabis:

Clear head:

Drunk:

The thing is that I can do basically what I want in either state of mind, but sometimes it just comes easy to create a certain mood if you're in it in advance. Music is moods to me.

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Thomas
Crude_beats (23-01-2016)
Old 18-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #15
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
just a heads up 9pm till i come is a guitar sample so he dinnt actually come up with that one.
sample from what song? or he created it? If he created it still counts as created melody
Old 18-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #16
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Humming in the car on my way back from work, mentally tired and head full of melodies. Singing improvised songs to my kids. Waking up in the morning with a melody in my head. Taking a shit or taking a shower (some of the best melodies I've made come to me when I was just about to take a dump. The basics of[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
came to me in the bathtub, and had "written itself" in about ten minutes or so).
Or I just simply sit down and improvise/make/create/come up with melodies (sing, guitar, piano, whatever).

Edit: Melodies to me is like language or monologing or storytelling - melodic phrasing, breathing rests/pauses, dynamic and expressive pitch dynamics are all important. To me, most poems, sentences and phrases have a built-in rythm and melody already. I wrote poems and lyrics for many years. I also studied music for a number of years, and then I tried "to forget about it" in order to make it come all naturally.

You don't always want to hear legato notes in a fixed volume/velocity. Practicing drums can have a good affect on melody-making, as you can mix and blend rhythms to gel/fix the words. And don't forget the rests (as they are almost as important as the notes).
i cant create interesting melodies in my head only with an instrument even then i still struggle lol
Old 18-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #17
Syllix
Deep Underground
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1096497

sometimes melody will pop into my head... other times i press keys on the keyboard... sometimes i'm inspired by music i listen to... and often the type of sound im playing on my keyboard will determine what melodies i play, and how i play them.

sometimes im pretty good, but i mostly think i suck. music is hard!

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest video game remix: Phantasy Star Online!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #18
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMSay View Post
i cant create interesting melodies in my head only with an instrument even then i still struggle lol
I think it takes some practice, experience, some theory... maybe even some talent, musicality, sweat and aching fingers.

------------------
Old 18-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #19
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
I think it takes some practice, experience, some theory... maybe even some talent, musicality, sweat and aching fingers.
cool so if i start making melodies now 1 year from now i might be better lol
Old 18-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #20
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMSay View Post
cool so if i start making melodies now 1 year from now i might be better lol
Sure! Look at what evolution brought to the table.

Advertisements

------------------