WAV to MP3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
Audāx
AudaxAudio
Audāx has a spectacular aura aboutAudāx has a spectacular aura about
NY
MC Status: 160
WAV to MP3

Some sites like last.fm will not allow you to upload a wav file , and since ableton will not export directly to a .mp3 file there is a need for a converter.

I downloaded a trial of 'Advanced MP3 Conversion' which allows you to convert five files for free. Before I purchase the full software , I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for better converters?

Cheers

Advertisements

Audāx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 35950
Thanked 4,152 Times in 2,710 Posts
Re: WAV to MP3

Just grab audacity I'd say
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It has lots of import/export options, and you can make some cool samples in it with the right know how.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
Nyul (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 24960

I use Audacity, it's free software and you can do more than just converting if needed.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

And here is the mp3 plugin: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help...all&i=lame-mp3

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 35950
Thanked 4,152 Times in 2,710 Posts

Ahhh yeah lame MP3 encoder is probably pretty handy too.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Audāx
AudaxAudio
NY

Thanks guys , am downloading Audacity now

cheers
Old 01-14-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65260
Thanked 1,305 Times in 985 Posts

If you have trouble getting the FFmpeg to work with Audacity, you could download LAME Front End which I think comes with LAME MP3 Encoder (as the backend). It gives you full control over MP3 settings and comes with presets too. it's freeware. Also foobar2000 audio media player comes with conversion commands so you can do FLAC or MP3 or OGG or OPUS or AAC or whatnot. Useful if you get sick of MP3's limitations and upload to soundcloud or whatnot.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:46 AM   #7
Audāx
AudaxAudio
NY

thanks for the info , I used audacity once earlier with good results.

Thanks again everyone

cheers
Old 01-15-2014, 03:19 AM   #8
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153410
Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,151 Posts

I know you found your answer, but I want to post this for anyone else who's looking for the quickest way to convert audio. Pazera Free Audio Extractor does whatever you want with literally one click. I use it for WAV to mp3, and I personally think it's better than audacity because there's no rendering or whatever involved, and this one works very quickly (way faster than iTunes would).
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:25 AM   #9
Alert
Soundscaper
Alert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond repute
Oblivion Fringe
MC Status: 4221

Open iTunes.

Change import settings to WAV.

Import the WAV into iTunes.

Change import settings to MP3 (320 kbps)

Convert WAV to MP3.

Drag to desktop.

------------------
Alert is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:40 AM   #10
dajwxp
Knob Twiddler
dajwxp is a glorious beacon of lightdajwxp is a glorious beacon of lightdajwxp is a glorious beacon of lightdajwxp is a glorious beacon of lightdajwxp is a glorious beacon of light
NOT in China~
MC Status: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alert View Post
Open iTunes.

Change import settings to WAV.

Import the WAV into iTunes.

Change import settings to MP3 (320 kbps)

Convert WAV to MP3.

Drag to desktop.

Yup, that's what I do a lot. Maybe there's some more efficient methods that my hole in the ground hasn't allowed me to see, but iTunes is pretty effective, haha :p. That, and iTunes does have the pretty high-quality AAC format, so it's great for conversion without losing quality. Of course, they're mp4 files soooo

------------------
| new album! |

| soundcloud! | bandcamp! |

always in search of sexy idmf music!~
dajwxp is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #11
arm23
Soundwave Mangler
arm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

I use this "MediaHuman Audio Converter" and think it was free. Fast, few clicks, any format.
But today I noticed that it comes out as joint stereo [on 320kbps .mp3], and could not find to change that in preferences.
I think i try Audacity too

------------------
Here is the track
arm23 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #12
Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
Stercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42348449
Thanked 4,289 Times in 2,802 Posts

Another vote for Audacity (if you're looking for a freebie app).

------------------
This mind intentionally blank.
Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #13
Audāx
AudaxAudio
NY

Thanks everyone that replied.

Im not a big fan of itunes. Audacity has everything I need so far and its been working great.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
crackmontage
raptor badger
crackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MC
sminap MN
MC Status: 434781

VLC works too, actually you can encode all types of video with it too if you know what you're doing. its really quite powerful
crackmontage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #15
panten
Granular Poster
panten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MC
MC Status: 52283

I use winLAME if I want a really quick conversion. Couldn't be simpler.
panten is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to panten
chiptraxxx (02-10-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #16
Ryan Kenneth
Minor Glitch
Ryan Kenneth is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

I recommend dbpoweramp Music Converter for a freeware.
Ryan Kenneth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:41 AM   #17
glideros
Analog Lurker
glideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1560

I use foobar2000 with the LAME plugin. It's probably faster if you go with Audacity or something else mentioned here, but it's an option.
glideros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:01 AM   #18
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65260
Thanked 1,305 Times in 985 Posts

If you get an MP3 front end, then you can usually disable the joint stereo MP3 encoding setting which collapses certain bass frequencies to mono and often makes the music sound crappier. Set it to stereo or even dual mono instead of joint stereo and you're in business. Also, you can set it to 320 CBR and disable copyright bits and all the other stuff that uses up quality bits.

But really, these days most portable players can play at least ONE format that's an improvement upon MP3 whether it's FLAC or MP4/AAC or ALAC or whatnot.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #19
A_L_Koide
Granular Poster
A_L_Koide is a glorious beacon of lightA_L_Koide is a glorious beacon of lightA_L_Koide is a glorious beacon of lightA_L_Koide is a glorious beacon of lightA_L_Koide is a glorious beacon of light
Utah
MC Status: 460

I use XLD but it only available for Mac. It is free however and super powerful:

http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

Last edited by A_L_Koide; 02-10-2014 at 02:41 AM..
A_L_Koide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:39 AM   #20
liveact
Minor Glitch
liveact is just really niceliveact is just really niceliveact is just really niceliveact is just really niceliveact is just really nice
MC Status: 410

+1 for dbpoweramp,I think it's very good.

Advertisements

liveact is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote