Is dubstep still hot?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2014, 04:19 AM   #1
eastcoastfinezt
Learning The Ropes
eastcoastfinezt will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Is dubstep still hot?

Hey, im from America and I am moving to the UK soon and I was wondering if dubstep was still a hot style of music or is it dying out?

Advertisements

eastcoastfinezt is offline   Thanks
Currently Listening To: Young Platinum-Insomniac
Old 08-01-2014, 05:56 AM   #2
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14710
Re: is dubstep still hot?

Skream said dubstep is dead.

I know that whole thing was taken out of context and blew up in its own way but really the man is totally in this disco/funky at this point. The only dubstep still going is the heady stuff, which seems to have always had a devoted following. I love seeing how some of my favorite dubstep producers from 3-4 years back are dealing with that bubble being gone. There's some great bass music out there. I also love how bastardized a term "bass" music has become. The ambiguity is what I'm loving. That and breaks.

BREAKS ARE EVERYWHERE. THE NEW BURIAL WAS JUST BURIAL WITH FUCKING BREAKS. MUSIC HAS HAD ME SO HYPE OVER THE PAST 6 MONTHS. If dubstep is dead, and this is what we got, then I'm hype.
JMagee is offline   Thanks
Thanks to JMagee
Nystagmus (21-05-2015)
Old 08-01-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 100150
Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,304 Posts

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
This clever picture of a shirt on instagram or whatever seems to suggest that it is no longer hot. Sorry man.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Oatbag
deadmau7 (08-01-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 07:04 AM   #4
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 100150
Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,304 Posts

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks
Old 08-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC
MC Status: 175271890
Thanked 2,613 Times in 1,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagee View Post
THE NEW BURIAL WAS JUST BURIAL WITH FUCKING BREAKS.
Only for the first five minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
This clever picture of a shirt on instagram or whatever seems to suggest that it is no longer hot. Sorry man.
When I used instagram photos had to be square, though there were some weird styled frames (which should never be used) and filters. But that seems like they tried to make it look like it's sort of printed on to film, which is kind of amazing
deadmau7 is offline   Thanks
Old 08-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim7 View Post
Only for the first five minutes.
You're totally right, but it does seem funny to me how the title track has so much going percussion-wise that isn't that dynamic. Just seems like a departure to me from what was. There's that whole opinion I've got but since like last spring I've been noticing in the bass music I listen to, "well there's a way I haven't really heard a break used." Breaks, especially not too cut up still feeling human, seem to be all over the place and I think it's great.
Thanks to JMagee
deadmau7 (08-01-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #7
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC

Quote:
There's that whole opinion I've got but since like last spring I've been noticing in the bass music I listen to, "well there's a way I haven't really heard a break used."
Any examples?

By the way, I had to read that sentence about four times to make sure I understood it.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Quote:
Any examples?

By the way, I had to read that sentence about four times to make sure I understood it.
Yeah, I totally woke up and immediately wrote that. I've had some coffee at this point, smoked a cigarette or two, and that totally could've been written that way better. I don't know, use more sentences or something? But yeah I've noticed breaks, which I feel like make us immediately think of DnB, just used throughout other genres or just new genres. You know it's hard to say what is bass music, it's a pretty broad topic, so when I say "the bass I've been listening has more breaks" is pretty fucking ambiguous.

Pretty hard for me to go through and think of particular tracks/artists as much as it's something I've noticed. Definitely something noticed just going through music but I'll try and get some releases listed. Might need to be one of those things where I listen to music for a few days to get a more coherent list actually named list.

Ghost Mutt - Rumble Pack
Soulection's "Thank You" sampler (thought I was hearing some in that)
The Future Sounds of North America Vol 2 (PGR 011)

Two are comps but it's a start. Totally going to need more time to get a more comprehensive list. New listening project!
Old 08-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519880
Thanked 6,579 Times in 4,697 Posts
Re: Is dubstep still hot?

As long as there is an underground rave scene in US and UK I think there will be room for brooding, dark shuffeled bass music. DnB, Breaks, Dubstep, Garage...

Though Im sure the OP means the more popular dubstep. I think the hype is dying down. From what I can tell around here 4x4 electro and Trap are the thing now really.
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 08-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #10
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Though Im sure the OP means the more popular dubstep. I think the hype is dying down. From what I can tell around here 4x4 electro and Trap are the thing now really.
For sure. I believe in trap more than most for the record. I really believe there's a classy way of going about it. Loving everything involved with TeamSupreme on that tip.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
Meta.
Meta. is a savage MCMeta. is a savage MCMeta. is a savage MCMeta. is a savage MCMeta. is a savage MCMeta. is a savage MCMeta. is a savage MCMeta. is a savage MCMeta. is a savage MCMeta. is a savage MCMeta. is a savage MC
Munich
MC Status: 60021870

Yea, the Brostep timeline is coming to an end, for sure. There were so many people doing it.. Everything that could have been done with Brostep was actually done. If you look at the newer releases of the big Brostep producers, you'll notice that most of them are producing Trap now. Most of it is really crappy Trap with Brostep, Trance and Hardstyle sounds, but still.

The actual "Dubstep" is still alive, afaik. There are a lot of "Deep Dubstep" releases around but those are almost too boring to listen to.

The only kind of Dubstep I'm into anymore is the old school Dubstep from the very beginning. Everything else has lost its magic a looong time ago. (Except for a few mainstream Gems but those were rare anyways.)

------------------
>User formerly known as 'Kater'

'Late Night Vibes' 001
(Deep House)
'Deep Issues Calling' (Drum & Bass)

Meta. is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Meta.
Nystagmus (10-01-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #12
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
For sure. I believe in trap more than most for the record. I really believe there's a classy way of going about it. Loving everything involved with TeamSupreme on that tip.

I love this Tune. I can do me a whole set of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta. View Post
Yea, the Brostep timeline is coming to an end, for sure. There were so many people doing it.. Everything that could have been done with Brostep was actually done. If you look at the newer releases of the big Brostep producers, you'll notice that most of them are producing Trap now. Most of it is really crappy Trap with Brostep, Trance and Hardstyle sounds, but still.

The actual "Dubstep" is still alive, afaik. There are a lot of "Deep Dubstep" releases around but those are almost too boring to listen to.

The only kind of Dubstep I'm into anymore is the old school Dubstep from the very beginning. Everything else has lost its magic a looong time ago. (Except for a few mainstream Gems but those were rare anyways.)
Yea, the whole Dungeon thing has gotten as formulaic and bland as the bro side of things at this point.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:25 PM   #13
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13019876

i like drumstep tho
aeoR is offline   Thanks
Old 08-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #14
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

[QUOTE=relic;1190950]

I love this Tune. I can do me a whole set of this.
QUOTE]

AMEN. Love the comment on there that's more or less, "this track is straight blunts."
Old 08-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #15
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

The new burial was awesome, just received my vinyl copy the other day.

That's all I have to contribute here.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 08-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #16
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:

AMEN. Love the comment on there that's more or less, "this track is straight blunts."
that is my comment

still need to peep the new Burial. Big ups for buying the vinyl man. Maybe Ill spring for the .wavs today.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #17
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
that is my comment

still need to peep the new Burial. Big ups for buying the vinyl man. Maybe Ill spring for the .wavs today.
Opening track's great. I need to listen to the other two again some time to see if they grow on me at all.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #18
jackastro
Granular Poster
jackastro is a name known to alljackastro is a name known to alljackastro is a name known to alljackastro is a name known to alljackastro is a name known to alljackastro is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta. View Post
Yea, the Brostep timeline is coming to an end, for sure. There were so many people doing it.. Everything that could have been done with Brostep was actually done.
Ha! That is exactly what I said about Dubstep...in 2006.
jackastro is offline   Thanks
Old 09-01-2014, 05:34 AM   #19
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Quote:
Opening track's great. I need to listen to the other two again some time to see if they grow on me at all.
Out of all the tracks on there "Hiders" has probably grown on me the most. There's that Washed Out, 80's chic vibe going on but it's a different take on it. So different from what I associate with him. Different enough to make me listen extra hard and fall in love.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #20
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator

Quote:
Out of all the tracks on there "Hiders" has probably grown on me the most. There's that Washed Out, 80's chic vibe going on but it's a different take on it. So different from what I associate with him. Different enough to make me listen extra hard and fall in love.
Hearing the "there's something out there" sample from Loner thrown in really took me out of it. I know I'm trying to hit a more obvious example and make them seem equal, but for me that would be a little like hearing snippets of the Archangel vocals in a different song.

There's a few times Burial's done that actually, though not always with vocals. It's not usually that obvious but it can be irksome.

Advertisements

Closed Thread