Windows Automatic Updates. Do I really need them?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:31 AM   #1
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts
Windows Automatic Updates. Do I really need them?

Thread title says it all...

Got a new lappy and am wondering if you guys turn automatic updates off? I'd sure like to but just want to get the consensus.

Thanks.

Advertisements

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:49 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8529830
Thanked 6,778 Times in 4,830 Posts
Re: Windows Automatic Updates. Do I really need them?

You should check for updates though. Security updates are important.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:06 AM   #3
doo.
Radial Developer
doo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to behold
Nastyvilla
MC Status: 860

If you use your laptop on the internet then yes you need the updates.... especially the security updates...

------------------
New EP, thanks for Listening

doo. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:02 AM   #4
TonyAldrin
Granular Poster
TonyAldrin has a spectacular aura aboutTonyAldrin has a spectacular aura aboutTonyAldrin has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Updates ARE very important, but I have disabled the automatic installation. I prefer my pc to notify me when updates are available because sometimes it will take some time for the machine to reboot after an update and I need it to wake up fast when I use it for work.

Last edited by TonyAldrin; 04-01-2014 at 07:13 AM..
TonyAldrin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TonyAldrin
RFJ (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 05:40 AM   #5
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Thanks guys. I wasn't taking security into account. I just thought it was constantly updating crap I never even used so saw little point. But yeah I'll set it to notify.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:58 AM   #6
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941831
Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,575 Posts

Yeah I would have to say they are important especially for the net. The good thing is you can choose which ones you want to install and fuck the rest.

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
RFJ (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #7
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743043

haha, you already responded and I'm responding even though the problem is resolved...

Make it update when you're not using it 90% of the time. But yea, the initial updates(depending on OS) will be a bitch every time. I remember having XP for a long time after it came out...

Like mentioned, you can have it update things you want, things you need, and I usually find 3 to 4 in the morning a good time at "x" point to update. I"m not usually on then.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bbb
RFJ (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 24960

I've turned automatic updates off, it bothers me when Windows just starts downloading and installing crap in the background. I have the setting "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" right now.
It does what it says, it will check for updates and show you which are available when you go to Windows Update. You only have to remember to download and install your updates now and then, especially after the second tuesday of the month (patch tuesday).

Having the most up to date system is not vital if you use your computer normal. If you don't download a lot of torrents or don't browse suspicious websites you even don't need an antivirus imo.

I usually let it install all previous updates (some updates are even needed to let Live install) and then don't bother too much with it.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nyul
RFJ (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #9
TonyAldrin
Granular Poster
TonyAldrin has a spectacular aura aboutTonyAldrin has a spectacular aura aboutTonyAldrin has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertia View Post
If you don't download a lot of torrents or don't browse suspicious websites you even don't need an antivirus imo.
"suspicious websites"... in the past maybe, but now I'm not so sure.

A few weeks ago avast stopped me from opening pages in a big (and commercial) movies forum. A picture embedded in one of the pages caused this, because the picture host was compromised by malicious code.
Code into code, malicious scripts and blam !

Years ago you could live without an antivirus. Today I don't think you can.
TonyAldrin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TonyAldrin
Numerical (06-01-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 01:55 AM   #10
ajdangles
Savage Mad Cunt
ajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond repute
Hamilton
MC Status: 9110

i never download this shit unless i have to. imo it realllllly slows your computer down. sure you might be more vulnerable, but meh fuckit i'd rather have speed
ajdangles is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:04 AM   #11
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAldrin View Post
"suspicious websites"... in the past maybe, but now I'm not so sure.

A few weeks ago avast stopped me from opening pages in a big (and commercial) movies forum. A picture embedded in one of the pages caused this, because the picture host was compromised by malicious code.
Code into code, malicious scripts and blam !

Years ago you could live without an antivirus. Today I don't think you can.
Yeah of course you will be vulnerable, your computer is never secure. I would expect the browser to protect you from most harmful internet things though, malicious code in an image that can infect your computer seems weird.

I don't really give a crap anymore, I used to take care to make everything secure, to protect myself against 'the dangerous internet', but it isn't really necessary imo.
If you act normal and don't start downloading weird stuff you won't get the bad designed viruses, the cheap ones that want to infect unprotected systems. If someone actively targets you, if your computer gets a serious attack by a good designed virus/hack, the attacker will always find a way to get through. Windows is crappy and a simple anti-virus won't save you.

As ajdangles says, it's slow and irritating so I don't bother anymore, didn't have any problems so far.

------------------
Thanks to Nyul
ajdangles (06-01-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 02:57 AM   #12
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin

The last time something happened that caused my firewall and AV to alert me was from gamespot, specifically a banner ad...so you do have to be careful even on reputable sites these days.

------------------
Thanks to Numerical
lolirl (06-01-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #13
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744023141
Thanked 7,114 Times in 4,431 Posts

Not downloading updates can slow your computer down significantly while surfing or even stop pages from loading from time to time.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59060
Thanked 1,181 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
You should check for updates though. Security updates are important.
This! All other Updates are optional I'd say but I would definitely get the security Updates!

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #15
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdangles View Post
i never download this shit unless i have to. imo it realllllly slows your computer down. sure you might be more vulnerable, but meh fuckit i'd rather have speed
I have to disagree... If you get your computer infected because you didn't Update Flash, Java or Windows Security Updates then it will be slow. Especially if someone decides to use it to send Spam or as part of a Botnet.

And as someone said it can be pretty easy to get an unprotected system infected. Some malicious Ad banner will do the job

------------------
Thanks to professurreal
lolirl (06-01-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #16
ajdangles
Savage Mad Cunt
ajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond repute
Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
I have to disagree... If you get your computer infected because you didn't Update Flash, Java or Windows Security Updates then it will be slow. Especially if someone decides to use it to send Spam or as part of a Botnet.

And as someone said it can be pretty easy to get an unprotected system infected. Some malicious Ad banner will do the job
i dunno man. like ever since i got my new computer about a year and a half ago i decided to not update at all after years of doing so. Way better performance, that being said this computer is a beast, so maybe that has something to do with it, i'm sure it would be albe to handle the updates just fine but i can't be arsed. Also haven't had any problems with viruses or malware running no AV, very careful about where i cruise/what i download though. I also run a registry cleaner every now and then but i dont think that has much to do with viruses/malware.

Personally i think there's an inherent risk to not getting the updates but like i'd rather take that risk instead of sacrificing computer performance, chances are a malicious ad banner isn't too big of a deal. i mean, if someone really wants to get into your computer, there's not much you can do to stop em so fuck it.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #17
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdangles View Post
Personally i think there's an inherent risk to not getting the updates but like i'd rather take that risk instead of sacrificing computer performance, chances are a malicious ad banner isn't too big of a deal. i mean, if someone really wants to get into your computer, there's not much you can do to stop em so fuck it.
Yes if someone really wants to get in they will BUT 99% of malware isn't from people that really want to get it. It is oportunistic and relies exactly on the fact that there are plenty of people that do not update their computers. You are basically opening your doors and putting up a huge sign asking to be infected!

This is exactly the reason why malware spreads so wide and fast (exceptions are 0 day exploits for which there are no fixes yet) and as someone that works in IT security I just find this really stupid.

Edit: At least use stuff like "Adblock" and "NoScript" when you are surfing. Just to give you an example of how easy it is to be infected... Any website that displays ads can infect your PC. Any stupid modified Flash ad banner or video can exploit weaknesses in browsers and flash, etc... Any criminal wanting to do this can simply buys add space from one of the prominent services and it'll get spread even on reputable sites... (I'm sure they don't check them that well...) On some occasions hackers even managed to replace images on bank sites to install key logging malware on their customers computers in order to steal their bank info.

------------------
Old 06-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #18
ajdangles
Savage Mad Cunt
Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
Yes if someone really wants to get in they will BUT 99% of malware isn't from people that really want to get it. It is oportunistic and relies exactly on the fact that there are plenty of people that do not update their computers. You are basically opening your doors and putting up a huge sign asking to be infected!

This is exactly the reason why malware spreads so wide and fast (exceptions are 0 day exploits for which there are no fixes yet) and as someone that works in IT security I just find this really stupid.

Edit: At least use stuff like "Adblock" and "NoScript" when you are surfing. Just to give you an example of how easy it is to be infected... Any website that displays ads can infect your PC. Any stupid modified Flash ad banner or video can exploit weaknesses in browsers and flash, etc... Any criminal wanting to do this can simply buys add space from one of the prominent services and it'll get spread even on reputable sites... (I'm sure they don't check them that well...) On some occasions hackers even managed to replace images on bank sites to install key logging malware on their customers computers in order to steal their bank info.
yeah i use adblock and popupblocker, that's a must for sure. i use trusteer rapport too, and i don't download a lot of shit

i'm just lazy lol. i can see how that would annoy you though, if you had a bunch of people at wherever you work who are like me lol :p.

Last edited by ajdangles; 07-01-2014 at 12:36 AM..
Old 07-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #19
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

Actually, from what I've read (and I've read quite extensively on this subject from problems in the past- thankfully my current install hasnt had any issues since Jan 1 of 2009), one of the ways those Windows Updates do slow down your system are those blue files located in the C:\Windows folder, usually located at the top. Those are the backup/uninstall files for the updates and they are the reason it happens. It usually starts slowing down when you get a shit ton of them in there from accumulation, even if you just do them all at once on a fresh install.

You can safely get rid of them, AFAIK, since I've done so using a program called Windows Update Remover. You can actually remove the updates themselves, but it also has a "backup folder" removal tool that will delete those blue folders without uninstalling the updates. I do it periodically with no ill effect and my system always seems to load and boot slightly faster because of it.

------------------
Thanks to Numerical
Muse-ic (07-01-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 01:19 AM   #20
Nyul

^ weren't you using Windows XP, I don't have any blue files

Advertisements

------------------