According to John Olson [of Wolf Eyes], Noise Music is 'Over'
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 12-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153410
Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,151 Posts
According to John Olson [of Wolf Eyes], Noise Music is 'Over'

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I found this today and laughed. He's involved with like hundreds of successful projects. Shouldn't he be kind of glad that it's taking off? I don't get how talented guys can just come out shit all over something because people in various other scenes are finally paying attention to it. It's not any cooler or less cool, you fucking hipster. This is what's wrong with the scene, it's people like him.

While I'm ranting, does anyone feel like interviewing Metallica and asking them what they think of metal today?

Advertisements

Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
Alert (06-07-2014)
Old 12-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 24960
Re: According to John Olson [of Wolf Eyes], Noise Music is 'Over'

Quote:
And at the same time you're playing trip metal, a great majority of what once constituted the noise scene has started playing one form or another of electronic dance music.
A lot of these cats digging into the techno trend don't seem to be too-well versed in the history of dance music and that culture. So what they're coming out with is on the wrong side of naive and amateur. It
seems like a lame attempt to get more people to gigs. socialize the music instead of keeping it alien and abstract.

Is noise over?

Completely, 100 percent. That's part of why I'm quitting the label. All the categories, everything has run its course. The whole solo culture of it has invented a million people playing by themselves trying to be geniuses. You're getting a million one-way conversations.
He seems kind of butthurt that he doesn't has that small personal community thing anymore, which is understandable. I guess his noise is over?

Being against socializing the music is really selfish, why would you want to keep alienating your public? As long as the music doesn't lose its personality that's just fine.
He's acting like a typical hipster saying those new guys don't know the real culture etc

Noise doesn't seem to be disappearing...

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
vx cheerleader
Microknight
vx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MC
MC Status: 39034

I really get the "You're getting a million one-way conversations" thing... And he's somewhat right. Everybody got his looper,a monotron, a second-hand metalzone and a noisebox, these days, and seems to rediscover you can make a lot of noise. Alone. A noise which has interest for his own maker. Alone. Generally

"A lot of these cats digging into the techno trend don't seem to be too-well versed in the history of dance music and that culture. So what they're coming out with is on the wrong side of naive and amateur." also seems quite legit...

------------------
vx cheerleader is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.
MC Status: 421868979
Thanked 4,820 Times in 2,787 Posts

Ridley Scott once famously proclaimed that "Science fiction is dead." What a load of shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vx cheerleader View Post
"A lot of these cats digging into the techno trend don't seem to be too-well versed in the history of dance music and that culture. So what they're coming out with is on the wrong side of naive and amateur." also seems quite legit...
I don't agree at all. Who cares if you know the "history" and "culture?" It has absolutely no bearing on the music you make. This sounds like me when I was sixteen complaining about local emo bands because their members never heard of Sunny Day Real Estate. Again, who cares?

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
vx cheerleader
Microknight
vx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MC

Well, I don't care about people being wikipedia. I care about people starting over and over the same shit, year after year, because they don't have a clue about what's been done before, apart from two or three bands they copycat...

But that's the way it goes.

------------------
Old 12-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
vx cheerleader
Microknight

On another level, I also understand the "fucking hipster" point, ha ha

------------------
Old 04-24-2014, 06:44 AM   #7
spejs
Minor Glitch
spejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nice
Koper
MC Status: 410

Quote:
So what they're coming out with is on the wrong side of naive and amateur.

you cant be on the wrong side in music and art in general...anything you do even if made strictly to appeal a larger mass of people is an expression of yourself....at least thats how i feel.....
spejs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
vx cheerleader
Microknight

I don't agree with that. The fact art is the expression of one's self doesn't make it good per se. I tend to think a lot of people have nothing to express. Nothing that anyone can enjoy apart from themselves - and in that case, I don't call their output "art", I call it "monologue". Or therapy, sometimes.

------------------
Thanks to vx cheerleader
Chozo Tull (06-08-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #9
spejs
Minor Glitch
spejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nice
Koper
MC Status: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by vx cheerleader View Post
I don't agree with that. The fact art is the expression of one's self doesn't make it good per se. I tend to think a lot of people have nothing to express. Nothing that anyone can enjoy apart from themselves - and in that case, I don't call their output "art", I call it "monologue". Or therapy, sometimes.

good or bad is a matter of perception, thus irrelevant to the point....even monologue is art....any expression of ones self is art...and even if i produce something that only i will enjoy, still it is a product, right? i not saying it is good, and that anybody will ever like it or even that it will be of any use...but still....
but again im no expert so....
spejs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to spejs
PROton42 (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 05:26 AM   #10
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105316689

By noise music does he mean power noise? I personally feel that it will never die or grow old, mainly because the concept of it being anti music is the art in which I find it to be appealing. I love noise musick, it will always breathe new life in my heart, mind, and ears.

------------------
Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetty Bhite View Post
By noise music does he mean power noise? I personally feel that it will never die or grow old, mainly because the concept of it being anti music is the art in which I find it to be appealing. I love noise musick, it will always breathe new life in my heart, mind, and ears.
I don't think they're going to quit being a noisy rock band, but then again, anything with rock in it makes real money. He just loves the popularity contest, probably quitting American Tapes because it never really made any money post-internet era.

Noise is supposed to be dead, though. If it ever blew up in the underground and made people money / famous, the whole meaning would be gone.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #12
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36050
Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,710 Posts

Well I am [a self proclaimed] expert on "good and bad" in music and art, and it's relation to "being on the wrong side" so here goes:

First off, I don't think VX is saying good music vs bad precisely, he is saying art vs not art. He's saying music is all about context and a lot of the time people have nothing that the listener can relate to when they decide to begin composing- in that sense I would put it that they are "on the wrong side" (as spejs put his belief) because music is a tool that we use to relate experience and emotional context and if you have nothing to say or relate then you might struggle to translate it to a musical medium.

Sure, we can still simply make four minutes of silence.
Or we could even compose something beautiful and then reduce it to .0001% of it's volume.

I don't agree with VX that it isn't "art" though because art is something that is all around us all of the time. Art is sound, light, science, taste, thought. Not everyone has the same opinion of art but it cannot simply be denied because it's not agreed with.

"Good and Bad" is really a matter of "art or not art". You're allowed to believe anything you want on that subject and belief is never irrelevant. Art, however - is everywhere, we call it Science. Monologue can be expressed in writing, music and visual art. Therapy is a science, science is art.

My opinion may not be art to someone else (or everyone else for that matter), but that doesn't mean it has absolutely no artistic merit. Judging someone else's personal art by your own standards is selfish because it neglects the science behind art as well as the opinions of anyone but yourself and the artist when art is meant to be experienced as a collective - it is human interaction.

I think it is exactly discussions like this that have always allowed Noise music to appeal to me. It feels like a direct emotional reaction to "Good vs Bad" and "Art vs not Art", and I can relate to that emotional context in noise music.

There may be some semantic regarding my calling out aspects in the posts of either @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
but those personalities and opinions are minor compared to the point I am trying to get across.

In Retrospect: I wanted to add, I think someone can have very wrong ideas about art - the idea of good vs bad for instance - and when someone uses art to create false truths as opposed to fiction, then they most definitely have the wrong idea about art and are on the wrong side of it.

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouths but I do want to put ideas into people's heads.

Last edited by PROton42; 04-29-2014 at 07:31 PM..

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
Kvlt O))) (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #13
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
Well I am [a self proclaimed] expert on "good and bad" in music and art, and it's relation to "being on the wrong side" so here goes:

First off, I don't think VX is saying good music vs bad precisely, he is saying art vs not art. He's saying music is all about context and a lot of the time people have nothing that the listener can relate to when they decide to begin composing- in that sense I would put it that they are "on the wrong side" (as spejs put his belief) because music is a tool that we use to relate experience and emotional context and if you have nothing to say or relate then you might struggle to translate it to a musical medium.

Sure, we can still simply make four minutes of silence.
Or we could even compose something beautiful and then reduce it to .0001% of it's volume.

I don't agree with VX that it isn't "art" though because art is something that is all around us all of the time. Art is sound, light, science, taste, thought. Not everyone has the same opinion of art but it cannot simply be denied because it's not agreed with.

"Good and Bad" is really a matter of "art or not art". You're allowed to believe anything you want on that subject and belief is never irrelevant. Art, however - is everywhere, we call it Science. Monologue can be expressed in writing, music and visual art. Therapy is a science, science is art.

My opinion may not be art to someone else (or everyone else for that matter), but that doesn't mean it has absolutely no artistic merit. Judging someone else's personal art by your own standards is selfish because it neglects the science behind art as well as the opinions of anyone but yourself and the artist when art is meant to be experienced as a collective - it is human interaction.

I think it is exactly discussions like this that have always allowed Noise music to appeal to me. It feels like a direct emotional reaction to "Good vs Bad" and "Art vs not Art", and I can relate to that emotional context in noise music.

There may be some semantic regarding my calling out aspects in the posts of either @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
but those personalities and opinions are minor compared to the point I am trying to get across.

In Retrospect: I wanted to add, I think someone can have very wrong ideas about art - the idea of good vs bad for instance - and when someone uses art to create false truths as opposed to fiction, then they most definitely have the wrong idea about art and are on the wrong side of it.

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouths but I do want to put ideas into people's heads.
I'm with you, but I get why a lot of people hate noise. Noise is purposely challenging every belief that the novice listener has once held about music, art, and can even argue with what the two even mean.

Another fun truth about music is most of it has a message, or an agenda of some sort. Noise couldn't possibly be further removed from this, even though lots of American acts want to make it out to be something sinister (kind of like a more 'dangerous' version of metal, whereas the Japanese masters tend to verge on more psychedelic concepts and fun, weird art with roosters). Some people simply can't understand abstract music, because "What's the point? What are they saying?" and "I guess I just don't 'get it'". Lots of people are lost without a message or agenda, let alone even constant lyrics voicing what a piece of music is supposed to be about.

Noise actually is that angry teenager who is rebelling without a cause, but its' nonsense endurance test has a very valid point. It's not really pain, disharmony, or a cesspool of darkness. It's just there to be the most extreme form of audible art that will ever exist. It's there to be a community of weird people who are passionate about nothing (see: art), and to admit that anyone can do it to the power of infinity. It's really like a release from everything else.

Although, a lot of it is made by damaged or depressed / axnious people if you read the interviews. It's not a negative genre, but you have to be somewhere very lost in order to find it and identify with it. Kind of like extreme metal though, tbh.
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
PROton42 (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #14
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36050
Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,710 Posts

I believe that teenager does have a cause though! I am right behind that teenager shouting "you go girl!"

I think it was said in another thread along the lines of noise music having no emotional context, and I replied that stress was an emotional context. X3 It was responded to with a simple "Stress?" as if to say "I don't see how stress is an emotion" so I reiterated that a better word would be anxiety.

I mean, that's something a lot of us can relate to and thats why it will always have a listener base. Whether or not people can relate to it AT THE TIME is irrelevant!

More onto the point of the thread:
When a lot of people say "[Genre] is dead" I can only ever translate it to "It got overdone, and anything released in the future won't be true to [genre] and therefore anything made in the past has the exact same connotation." Like everything in the past that "once was good [genre] music" just doesn't exist anymore and no longer has any merit.

Like that "what happened to jungle" thread - Uh, yeah all that stuff is still around.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
oly (04-30-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 12:30 AM   #15
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105316689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
I don't think they're going to quit being a noisy rock band, but then again, anything with rock in it makes real money. He just loves the popularity contest, probably quitting American Tapes because it never really made any money post-internet era.

Noise is supposed to be dead, though. If it ever blew up in the underground and made people money / famous, the whole meaning would be gone.
I feel safe to wager that noise will never be the next big thing. But I agree with you every bit.

------------------
Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
Kvlt O))) (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 03:06 AM   #16
constructedID
Minor Glitch
constructedID is just really niceconstructedID is just really niceconstructedID is just really niceconstructedID is just really nice
Minneapolis, MN
MC Status: 360

Power noise or noise or whatever you call it is just another genre I like very few people in.
And Wolf Eyes was never one of them so I could care less.
Is Converter making any new tracks though? no, so it died a little bit a few years ago.
constructedID is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:17 AM   #17
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39279549
Thanked 1,140 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by constructedID View Post
Is Converter making any new tracks though? no, so it died a little bit a few years ago.
(big Converter fan) Not under that name, but he's done stuff since then. Not very similar though.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #18
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Thanks for ruining shell art!

penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:10 AM   #19
constructedID
Minor Glitch
constructedID is just really niceconstructedID is just really niceconstructedID is just really niceconstructedID is just really nice
Minneapolis, MN
MC Status: 360

There's still Orphx and Giestform and I need to get more of their albums.
constructedID is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #20
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
Originally Posted by constructedID View Post
Power noise or noise or whatever you call it
I would call it two different things, because they aren't interchangeable terms!
One denotes aggressively distorted edm, while the other is an umbrella term for a
bunch of styles that incorporate non-musical sounds as a focal point in the music!
Seems a point worth clarifying since a number of posts here are referring to the
former, but the actual article/discussion regards the latter!

Last edited by penguinoid; 05-28-2014 at 12:26 AM..

Advertisements

penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote