[P] New online platform for sending demos to record labels
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 12-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
elliedb
Learning The Ropes
elliedb is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10
Icon4 [P] New online platform for sending demos to record labels

Hi there!

I would like to introduce you the new online platform for artists and record labels - Demobucket.com

Demobucket is the new and revolutionary way of promoting your music. Your demo can be heard by professional electronic music record labels.

Key benefits of using Demobucket:

- Upload your demo and it will be automatically delivered to all record labels registered on our system.

- Every record label registered on demobucket is verified and approved.

- You can create different artist profiles for different genres and styles, using one account.

- Demobucket categorizes all demo submission by genre, so your demo is always delivered to the right labels.

Visit demobucket.com to find out more.

I will visit this forum regularly, so you can ask anything about our website

Please move this thread somewhere else if it's in wrong category.

Ellie
Demobucket Team

Advertisements

elliedb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 743999191
Thanked 6,635 Times in 4,153 Posts
Re: New online platform for sending demos to record labels

This could go one of two ways, I'll put it to the crowd to decide.

Edit: Interesting that fledgling artists would have to pay for anything but a basic account but labels get the service for free.

What labels are involved so far?
It all seems kind of tight-lipped over there at the moment.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 24960

In the for artists section you mention that you will check all demos for quality, how the fuck are you going to do that when it starts getting popular? :O
Also in the for labels section you mention you will categorize stuff by genres, expect a lot of wrong crap if everyone can enter his own stuff.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
StampedeMe
Future Epic Ban Victim
StampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Elblag
MC Status: 3711

Genres...so it's automatically adressed towards the more popular EDM or smaller labels? Take a look at bigger musicians or labels, none of them gives a damn about genres. You should re-think that idea I guess.

------------------
Most of my posts begin with: "Well,"
StampedeMe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
AndyMcG
Soundwave Mangler
AndyMcG is a glorious beacon of lightAndyMcG is a glorious beacon of lightAndyMcG is a glorious beacon of lightAndyMcG is a glorious beacon of lightAndyMcG is a glorious beacon of light
Fife
MC Status: 460

Nice concept indeed, but personally i wouldn’t roll it out with such little information ... Like guys have asked above - Why does Artists have to pay but Labels don’t ? If popularity picks up, how can 1 person verify if a song matches a certain quality or not ? And again a list of what Labels will be using this service would be appreciated. Big Labels are worthwhile, but to submit and be signed to a small Label is pointless imo when Social Media allows you to attract a small-medium sized following yourself !

I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, because i do think it’s actually an excellent idea, but more information would be nice

------------------
New Track Below ! | On FB - Www.Facebook.Com/AndyMcGMusic | Online Www.AndyMcGOfficial.Com
AndyMcG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC

Having to pay is actually a really good way to avoid spam, if it's free everyone will just post their crap without thinking too much. If you have to pay (even if it isn't that much) you'll get more mature artists.
Also I thought there was a limited free account for artists?

That labels don't have to pay may be to make it interesting, perhaps they introduce paid accounts later?

------------------
Old 12-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 743999191
Thanked 6,635 Times in 4,153 Posts

OK cool, I'll recommend we introduce a fee here.
And no, it says it'll always be free for labels.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199643768
Thanked 4,890 Times in 3,157 Posts

Someone else had an idea like this on here about a year ago, called it bomb something or other I think. Bomb promo maybe. The primary problem with that, and possibly this is, were I a label guy and received a demo from a mass demo submission service like this, I'd probably skip it on GP.

Sure there's a higher chance of getting someone to bite the more demos the artist sends out but I'd think putting in research and contacting labels that you know would be interested, based on their catalog, would go a long way.

I also think the old saying that goes "it's not what you know, but who you know" is still applicable today in the on line market. An artist is going to be hard pressed to form an in at, oh say, warp or ninja tune. But tthere's plenty of labels out there today that someone could get involved with in some way, then when the time is right, ask them if you could send a demo over. I also think this would be a much more satisfying way of getting your material out there than spamming 150 faceless labels all at once.

My perspective and satisfaction, however, comes from the grassroots and many people don't seem to be into that type of thing anymore. But, I'd think, success rates would skyrocket were people to stop working about success and just worry about getting the material out there in the most honest way possible

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
Nyul

^very valid point and basically the reason why I would never use something like this.

------------------
Old 12-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
elliedb
Learning The Ropes
elliedb is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

Quote:
What labels are involved so far?
AFAIK the list of labels should be available on our website in few days.

Quote:
Also in the for labels section you mention you will categorize stuff by genres, expect a lot of wrong crap if everyone can enter his own stuff.
Artists can describe the track's genre, but our moderators decide about category.
Categories are similar to beatport's genres.

Quote:
Having to pay is actually a really good way to avoid spam, if it's free everyone will just post their crap without thinking too much. If you have to pay (even if it isn't that much) you'll get more mature artists.
Also I thought there was a limited free account for artists?
This is exactly why artists have to pay. But there is also limited free account. You can see all plans for artists here: demobucket.com/?page=artists

Quote:
And no, it says it'll always be free for labels.
It will always be free for labels, but there will be some paid additional services in the future.

Quote:
Someone else had an idea like this on here about a year ago
But I'm pretty sure that no one ever wanted to delete all crappy demo submissions for free... And we want to

Regards,
Ellie
elliedb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
daffymaestro
Soundwave Mangler
daffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MC
MC Status: 11200

I like the idea - but somethings not right here.

------------------
daffymaestro is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883206
Thanked 3,294 Times in 2,083 Posts

Quote:
Demobucket checks quality of your demo song.

By quality - are you referring to strictly technical aspects, and if not - how does one intermediary (demobucket) determine what is good quality and what isn't if the criteria are rather subjective?

Do you have any kind of relationship with existing labels...IOW: Are you bringing anything else to the table other than convenience?
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to scyn
daffymaestro (12-05-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 81200
Thanked 1,598 Times in 1,078 Posts

So it's basically a label spamming service - I pay you to spam labels with my demos. Is the spamming targeted to certain labels based on the music itself?

I understand that it will just be labels that have signed up to be on this list.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #14
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153360
Thanked 3,067 Times in 2,150 Posts

Jesus, nobody with this amount of creativity or spamming passion will create one single, normal fucking site for regular jack offs who don't want to be famous to upload their music to.

Like, is there going to be a division for non-EDM? What kind of major label would sign up to get spammed over by every user on your site? Tone it down a notch or something.

I'm only being grumpy because I admire your passion and work. It's so fucking close to being a good idea.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #15
DJ Planetside
Knob Twiddler
DJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant future
Las Vegas
MC Status: 1960

Something about this just whole idea just contradicts everything I know about labels, A&R, etc in general. And it almost sounds like a weirder version of music clout.

What I really wanna know is, why would any label want a service like this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but last I checked the market was saturated with artists, not labels.

So who the hell label is signing up for this that isn't already getting 100's of submissions per week anyway?

Show me a known label that isn't getting enough demo's and I'll eat my hat.

------------------
Holy crap, I can haz a signature now?

DJ Planetside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #16
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883206
Thanked 3,294 Times in 2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Planetside View Post
What I really wanna know is, why would any label want a service like this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but last I checked the market was saturated with artists, not labels.
Good point. It seems to just make the application process even less personal...every label gets the same submission 'template' from an artist.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7235779

I believe we can make the process of creating worthless labels more automated than what it currently is. Perhaps if it gathered enough people of the same category together automatically, registered a netlabel for them, and signed them all to that label. No need to tell them there's no management or staff either, that hardly matters to people that would use such a service.

This way everyone can be signed and everyone can be happy.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #18
Muonos
Deep Underground
Muonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MC
Atlanta
MC Status: 1336412

Hello!

I'd like to introduce you to my new service, SecretSound.

Are you becoming too popular, too many likes and too many downloads? Do you want your music to be "cooler" and more "underground"?

My service decreases the amount of plays and likes and only send your tracks out to IDM labels nobody has heard of.

Finally, you can fit in with all the other underground artists!

------------------
A song from my upcoming Dub Techno EP.

Muonos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8497680
Thanked 6,135 Times in 4,406 Posts

I tend to distrust this general trend of "easier". I mean...how hard is it to send a demo online these days? If one really believes in their own art I think they would likely be willing to send twenty emails out to some labels.

I also agree with the people questioning why a label would want to be part of this service. Even if you could filter by genre, if this thing takes off you could end up with a massive slush pile of demos to go through.

I also don't like that some random people (not even the label) are working quality control. So, as an artist if I pay for the service then some chump who works for DemoBucket decides my tunes aren't good enough do I get a refund?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Kvlt O))) (12-06-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #20
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8497680
Thanked 6,135 Times in 4,406 Posts

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

^If someone did this, but with labels, I'd possibly pay for that.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (12-06-2013)

[P] New online platform for sending demos to record labels Tags
demo submission, demobucket, how to send demo, oatbag welcomes again...