Live Coding
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Modular software & programming MaxMSP, Reaktor, Pure Data, Jeskola BUZZ, and other modular programs. Any questions relating to these programs (patching, favorite ensembles) should be posted in this forum.

Old 25-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #1
meltphace 6
Knob Twiddler
meltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond repute
/dev/null
MC Status: 4402
Live Coding

Advertisements

meltphace 6 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to meltphace 6
scyn (26-11-2013)
Old 25-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 24960
Re: Live Coding

What a coincidence I've been obsessed by live coding that few last day :p
I'll watch the video tomorrow, don't have time right now.

Do you live code/program music yourself?

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
meltphace 6
Knob Twiddler
meltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond reputemeltphace 6 has a reputation beyond repute
/dev/null
MC Status: 4402

Maybe you can post some of your output. I'm about to start with ChucK if time permits ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
).
meltphace 6 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC

Nice, introduction video. That performance of Andrew Sorenson was nuts!

Nah, I'm not yet able to program something useful. I'm learning SuperCollider right now, so it will take a while before I'll be able to output music

I'm just interested by the concepts of live coding, it's a weird genre of music. Part of it is super experimental and not really 'musical', people make codes that output sound because they can. And by limiting yourself to only the keyboard you enforce that non-musical/experiment stuff even more. But at the same time you have people who can create great musical pieces with just code, with just their keyboard and a text editor. It's kind of fascinating

I'm not really learning SC for live coding as I find it isn't the best way of making music, why limit yourself to only coding when you could create more interaction with external controllers, synthesizers, real instruments etc.
But it still fascinates me.

Btw, check out Benoit and the Mandelbrots

I'll post some other interesting videos tomorrow, my battery is dying right now D:

------------------
Old 26-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
Nyul

Toplap is a very good source: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

This is very nice presentation of live coding.

Also the Mandelbrots are awesome, not if you're really interested in the coding itself but they show what is possible. Too bad this is cut up in pieces
(visuals are also partly generated based on signals from the 4 laptop guys)

Here is a interview with them
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 26-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Thanks for posting that, and I'd really suggest that everyone check it out. Whether you have an interest in coding or not, it's still a fascinating video and sure to expand your notions of certain concepts. It's definitely one of the more interesting and inspiring things I've seen this year .
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744018691
Thanked 7,025 Times in 4,373 Posts

Yesterday on Vice.

Quote:
For most people, the only type of code involved in clubbing is a dress code. However, it turns out there's a whole musical subculture based around watching people who love computers create dance music with live computer coding. "Algorave" – or algorithmic rave – is a scene and club night that has defined its music as: "sounds wholly or partly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive conditionals".
There's more if you're still interested, just click the link.
I have to say the demo of the actual music didn't inspire me as much as stuff I've seen/heard before but maybe that's just me.

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
scyn (26-11-2013)
Old 27-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
Nyul

That vice article seems to have made some noise, a shiny new subreddit for Algorave appeared (if someone uses reddit here )

------------------
Old 10-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Nyul

------------------
Old 29-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
renick
Learning The Ropes
renick has a spectacular aura aboutrenick has a spectacular aura about
Tokyo
MC Status: 160

> I have to say the demo of the actual music didn't inspire me as much as stuff I've seen/heard before but maybe that's just me.

Hi lolirl. You can check out some of my work from my homepage. There are youtube videos of full performances and some live sets on Soundcloud; I still think that I'm like a kid riding a bike with training wheels, and I think that's true of most of us (with the exception of a few like slub, redfrik, andrew sorensen). Still, I think the progress people are making is fast. Constructive criticism will help people get there.

One of the great things about it, though, is getting electronic music to be live and improvised. I really enjoy it when I'm seeing a live set and know that not only has this music not been heard anywhere but is being created and at least partially composed right in front of me.

Another thing that really appeals to me about live coding is seeing what the performers are doing. I wish more performers would show the audience their screens. It's like being able to see a guitarists fingers on the fretboard. Even if its not the main visual, I'd love it if I could see the performer's screen somewhere.

Last edited by renick; 29-12-2013 at 05:04 PM..

Advertisements

renick is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote