New Categories in the Genre Section
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Suggestions & Feedback Constructive feedback space about the forum, the IDMf label, or improvements you'd like to see.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of
The Bay
MC Status: 1010
More Modern Genre Forum Names

I think the genre section could be organized better. House and dubstep shouldn't be together, there's no place for hip hop/trap. I guess Glitch is always in IDM, but I don't think that's right. There could be a world section, maybe breaks.

I don't have answers, just suggestions

Advertisements

1=1? is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 1=1?
Nystagmus (10-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540830
Thanked 6,998 Times in 4,973 Posts
Re: More Modern Genre Forum Names

Everyone always claims this, but House and Dubstep have quite a bit in common. Whether you are talking modern progressive/electro and brostep or old school house and deep dubstep.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of
The Bay

I think dubstep can be much more similar to Drum & Bass. Not only that but stuff like James Blake or most specifically Author is clearly very dubstep, but nothing like house... at all.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Barry Acid
Eternal Echoer
Barry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 77072

what is brostep? Honest question. I am the most closed minded person when it comes to music I dont listen to normally, I dont even bother me bollox to google any of it. I also literally have no idea who/what is popular, I have my head stuck in the 90s and refuse to move on.

------------------
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others
Barry Acid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
The Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Acid View Post
what is brostep? Honest question. I am the most closed minded person when it comes to music I dont listen to normally, I dont even bother me bollox to google any of it. I also literally have no idea who/what is popular, I have my head stuck in the 90s and refuse to move on.
My impression: Early adopters of dubstep are upset about the way that popular dubstep progressed. Basically it's not complex, not dark and uses a lot of the really intense screamy sounds and pop verses, rather than the low rumble & wobble.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
The Bay

Also my profession is web developer and I'd like to volunteer some of my time if desired.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Dubstep began as instrumental b-sides of Garage tunes much like "Dub" b-sides on House records. Additionally, while Dubstep does now employ a lot of DnB sounds, the beat basic half-time beat is actually closer to House--its a four on the floor beat, missing some of the beats. Garage, House and Dubstep are all kind of related in a lot of ways.

Though I agree Dubstep also crossed over into DnB territory and a lot of DnB fans/producers/DJs ditched the DnB scene for Dubstep.

I honestly think Dubstep is a really interesting genre and spawned an interest in exploring all kinds of cross-over sounds and beats. Unfortunately what became the most popular is not representative of all the sounds out there. Most of it is still dance floor music, but there is a lot of headphone Dubstep as well.

------------------
Old 02-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
The Bay

Yeah. Not trying to get into a flame war or anything, just talking it out.

You can go back in history to figure out exactly why things are sorted this way sure, but the forum is for people and the people who are interested in dubstep are not the same as are interested in house, so why are they going to same sub forum?

I think you'd have a better mix with house/minimal or house/industrial

Also the other suggestions, where would say Grammatik go? House Dubstep? Breakcore?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Br/ainfu+ked
Savage Mad Cunt
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45963548
Thanked 1,154 Times in 888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1=1? View Post
Yeah. Not trying to get into a flame war or anything, just talking it out.

You can go back in history to figure out exactly why things are sorted this way sure, but the forum is for people and the people who are interested in dubstep are not the same as are interested in house, so why are they going to same sub forum?

I think you'd have a better mix with house/minimal or house/industrial

Also the other suggestions, where would say Grammatik go? House Dubstep? Breakcore?
grammatik = hip hop

personally I thought brostep was more of sub genre

Last edited by Br/ainfu+ked; 02-10-2013 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: hjskfhskdfh
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Yep. Just stating my opinion. Its probably not getting changed TBH. People ask all the time ;p

------------------
Old 02-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
The Bay

How can I not stand house so much and like grammatik so much. Quite the conundrum
Old 10-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

Saying dubstep is like house is like saying dubstep is like Trance. Naaaaah!

Dubstep IS closer to Dub and DnB in terms of BPM and hoovers/reeces/reeses/wobbles.

All that filtering is a DnB type of thing and when the two combined we got DopeStep.

Go to [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and listen, man. Madonna's Vogue is more like House.

Minimal Techno is more like House which is more like Trance and Trance make ya stupid. LOL

Dubstep is more like The Orb of 1990s techno / downtempo / dub brought up to date.

Even Trent Reznor's tune "Me, I'm Not" is like Dubstep. And that AINT House. It's more like industrial. And electro industrial is typically with a hip-hop influenced beat, not a 4/4 bland house metronome of kick drums. hip hop and industrial and dnb and dubstep and dopestep rhythms have syncopation.

Syncopation is what separates the genres. That's even how they do it on Pandora.com if you read the music descriptions. DubStep is only like House if you are thinking only about some of Tipper's work. But Tipper is a musical genius and isn't House either. Tip-Hop (by Tipper) is more like trip-hop.

I totally agree with the original poster above that we need a more modern set of categories.

They really should go by the categories on SHOUTcast.com or Addictech.com Addictech.com is preferred. So that way we can get Chill, DopeStep, BreakBeat, Downtempo, House, Ambient, Illbient, Squee, and whatever.

Even SoundClick is a bit better about genres.

Deee-Lite had House influences. But Deee-Lite is not really house. But people who think it is must be the same people who put Madonna on my Deee-Lite pandora channel. Obviously, they didn't actually listen to the music or the musicians and just went by what they were told, probably about only a single hit tune and not the endless club hits that went on year after year and the wonderful remix albums. Even Madonna isn't really House, by the way. "Live to Tell" by Madonna is electronic, yes, as is "Borderline", but she's just not House. Even "Music" wasn't House, it was electro or Big Beat.

Sven Vath is more like House, or Haus to be exact.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #13
FauxEffet
Analog Lurker
FauxEffet is a jewel in the roughFauxEffet is a jewel in the roughFauxEffet is a jewel in the roughFauxEffet is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310
New Categories in the Genre Section

XXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by FauxEffet; 17-10-2014 at 12:13 PM..
FauxEffet is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 107900
Thanked 2,132 Times in 1,386 Posts
Re: New Categories in the Genre Section

This is a groundbreaking new idea.

What exactly is EDM though?
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #15
FauxEffet
Analog Lurker
FauxEffet is a jewel in the roughFauxEffet is a jewel in the roughFauxEffet is a jewel in the roughFauxEffet is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

XXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by FauxEffet; 17-10-2014 at 12:12 PM..
FauxEffet is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031141
Thanked 7,274 Times in 4,521 Posts

We're currently discussing a re-jig and will take this into consideration.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269464908
Thanked 2,826 Times in 1,873 Posts

We need a hip-hop section!

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #18
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Can't tell if serious or trolling.
Old 22-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #19
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269464908
Thanked 2,826 Times in 1,873 Posts

Trolling. I've seen what the hiphop heads were up to on the MPC forum and promptly sold all my akai gear.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #20
lolirl
Administrator

Advertisements