What Is Darkstep?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Breakcore / Breakbeat / Drum & Bass Discussion of music similar to Noisia, Amon Tobin, Venetian Snares, Prodigy.

Old 15-11-2013, 03:59 AM   #1
Kozmotron
Radial Developer
Kozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
What Is Darkstep?

I know... a simple and stupid title...
I'm sort of new to this subgenre. After I accidentally discovered it, I've tried to find and understand songs of this genre, but I'm still a little baffled about it.
So its a sub of Techstep, and I can barely tell the dif between Techstep and Neurofunk... I listened to all of the "free albums" from Darkstep.org, and I think that some of the songs sound a bit like breakcore in a way. I feel like darkstep is like techstep, on the verge of becoming breakcore. sometimes it sounds like a style of breakcore with a bit of "noise" going on... I'd hate to ask about how Hardstep is dif than the other "dark DnB" subgenres (that would overwhelm me)!
Can someone tell me how to differentiate Darkstep from Breakcore? maybe tell me what makes a song "darkstep"?
thx~~
**I ask about this cuz I'm curious about and want to understand the littlest subgenres within a subgenre, and so on. I say this cuz some people think its stupid how people keep coming up with another name for a genre with slightly different sounds...**

Advertisements

Kozmotron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38897
Re: What Is Darkstep?

I always tho it was just a thing to label neuro and techstep, when they didn't know what the genre was.

Drillandbass is bcore right?
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 04:49 AM   #3
Agni [Vandal]
Minor Glitch
Agni [Vandal] is a jewel in the roughAgni [Vandal] is a jewel in the roughAgni [Vandal] is a jewel in the rough
Utah

They all have their places...Darkstep is like a more brutal form of Hardstep, darker, more ambient in some respects. They have genres like Militarystep/Dubcore. Grant it they are little bit more distinguishable though. Like Military uses a lot of snares in a general repetitive drumming motion, orchestrated like a marching step.

Anyway, Darkstep uses the amen break and the firefight break more prominently than Techstep/Hardstep/Neuro. It comes from Techstep though, whereas Neuro relies on science fiction soundscape and really clean production. Darkstep brings back elements of darkcore-like horror movie soundtracks or vocal snippets, overdistorted techstep basslines and industrial soundscapes. The rhythms are usually more complex and heavier than in Neuro. Quite often the snare is metallic and ringing, creating a dissonant feel.

------------------

Agni [Vandal] is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Lucio De Rimanez - Paper Soldiers
Old 31-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
Kozmotron
Radial Developer
Kozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agni [Vandal] View Post
They all have their places...Darkstep is like a more brutal form of Hardstep, darker, more ambient in some respects. They have genres like Militarystep/Dubcore. Grant it they are little bit more distinguishable though. Like Military uses a lot of snares in a general repetitive drumming motion, orchestrated like a marching step.

Anyway, Darkstep uses the amen break and the firefight break more prominently than Techstep/Hardstep/Neuro. It comes from Techstep though, whereas Neuro relies on science fiction soundscape and really clean production. Darkstep brings back elements of darkcore-like horror movie soundtracks or vocal snippets, overdistorted techstep basslines and industrial soundscapes. The rhythms are usually more complex and heavier than in Neuro. Quite often the snare is metallic and ringing, creating a dissonant feel.
that's pretty well described.... I guess from what I can tell by listening to Darkstep, it generally tends to have like a never-ending distorted synth/bassline (its hard to describe it)... but it seems to have it more than Techstep and Neurofunk.
and then I feel that Techstep, compared to Neuro, has more of the "industrial" percussions/snares, and heavier bassdrums, but the synths/bass almost sound like Neuro in a way, like I can only distinguish Techstep by its drums/percussions...

Advertisements

Kozmotron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote