Making music similar to Tim Hecker
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 28-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Pluvius
Learning The Ropes
Pluvius will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Making music similar to Tim Hecker

Hello there!

So as the title suggests, I'm a big fan of ambient music, I've reached that point where I'd like to *make* my own music. It's all inspired by great artists like Floex, Bvdub and of course Tim Hecker.

Would you please be kind enough to tell me which tools do I need to begin this long quest? I already have Reason 5 but I don't know if it will suffice as a first step.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Pluvius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Pluvius
Headpilot (01-11-2013)
Old 28-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 106800
Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,376 Posts
Re: Making music similar to Tim Hecker

I used Reason 5 for ages, but upgrading to the newest version would really open up more doors. 5 is nice for running on crap computers though.

As far as what you need... what do you feel you are missing? Get those things first. Its too easy to run out and buy a bunch of crap you don't need.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Pluvius
Learning The Ropes

First of all, thank you very much for your kind reply.

Actually I have some money and I'm hesitating whether to buy a midi keyboard or upgrade Reason. In all honesty, if the latter is enough *for now* as I'm a total noob it's ok, if not please feel free to suggest and I'll go with it!
Old 29-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 106800
Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,376 Posts

I like Reason quite a bit, but I have tried some other options before coming back to it. If it's all you have ever tried I'd definitely suggest spending some time to check out other software before committing.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
Pluvius
Learning The Ropes

You are right, I didn't check out any other software/tool apart from Reason. I'm gonna experiment more before making decisions.

Thanks again!
Old 29-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
jespis
Radial Developer
jespis has much to be proud ofjespis has much to be proud ofjespis has much to be proud ofjespis has much to be proud ofjespis has much to be proud ofjespis has much to be proud ofjespis has much to be proud ofjespis has much to be proud ofjespis has much to be proud ofjespis has much to be proud of
Zagreb
MC Status: 1410

Don't forget to use some recording device like many ambient artists do (like Bvdub). In many cases your mobile phone is all you need. Some ideas on this site: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordyH View Post
...If you keep on doing what you've always done, you'll keep on getting what you've always got...
jespis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #7
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

If you want to know everyone's personal favorite DAW, my answer is Ableton Live.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
Pluvius
Learning The Ropes

Quote:
Don't forget to use some recording device like many ambient artists do (like Bvdub). In many cases your mobile phone is all you need.
Thank you very much! good news then since I have a smartphone

Quote:
If you want to know everyone's personal favorite DAW, my answer is Ableton Live.
Thank you, to be honest with you; every subtle detail like this seems like a big step for a newbie like me.

Also, the music in your sig is just great, that's what I'm looking for!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #9
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC

^ Thanks, man .

I would recommend demoing workstations or using lite versions before you decide. You can make any / every kind of music with any DAW.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
Headpilot
Knob Twiddler
Headpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvius View Post
great artists like Floex
Never heard of Floex til now. Just a listen. Mind = blown.
Headpilot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
Pluvius
Learning The Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
^ Thanks, man .

I would recommend demoing workstations or using lite versions before you decide. You can make any / every kind of music with any DAW.
I've had the chance to play with ableton Live at a friend's house, looks cool!

As of now I don't have any MIDI controller, I hope this won't cripple me much!

P.S: I like Sunn O))) !
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: enjoy buddy!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
neutral
Savage Mad Cunt
neutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MC
Manchester
MC Status: 103011127

Hecker uses granular synthesis a lot.

Also on the piano drop he recorded most of the album on a church organ before processing after. Buy a church organ.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
New years day 2000 my guitar became self-aware. It kills fascists with three chords and the truth.
neutral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
abrajams
Minor Glitch
abrajams has a spectacular aura aboutabrajams has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Listened to snippets of Tim Hecker's latest, "Virgins.."

This is definitely one that will take time for me to get into. It seems like something I'll really dig in the summer of 2015. But, not now.

I can only assimilate/enjoy bits and pieces but don't like the songs as a whole.
abrajams is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:38 AM   #14
Xux
Regular Freak
Xux is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
I heard Xux still sucks at music.
Hello,

I'm sorry, but what do you mean ?
Xux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #15
lowlif3
Analog Lurker
lowlif3 has much to be proud oflowlif3 has much to be proud oflowlif3 has much to be proud oflowlif3 has much to be proud oflowlif3 has much to be proud oflowlif3 has much to be proud oflowlif3 has much to be proud oflowlif3 has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xux View Post
Hello,

I'm sorry, but what do you mean ?
It's a joke. It takes your username and places it in the sentence. For me it says "I heard lowlif3 still sucks at music."

I'd rather go with Live than Reason for Tim Hecker's style. Then get a shitload of free granular, bitcrusher and pitch shift vst plugins. Record real instruments and cool noises and manipulate them to sound even cooler. Try paulstretch. It makes nice ambient music from pretty much anything by stretching it. Sounds way better than the internal time stretch in Live.

edit. just noticed how old this thread is..
lowlif3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lowlif3
Kvlt O))) (11-08-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 03:43 PM   #16
Hippy_nuke
Minor Glitch
Hippy_nuke will become famous soon enoughHippy_nuke will become famous soon enough
East Oregon
MC Status: 110

If on a budget I would use mixcraft, it is a decent enough DAW to where you can get your tracks lined up on rhythm along with multiple lanes. Personally I would never use my phone to record, again if on a budget you should look into an AT2020 condenser microphone(It's around $100). It's your effects though that will really create the atmosphere of an ambient song. Reverb, chorus, delay, compression. All essential.
Hippy_nuke is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: William Basinski- Red score in tile
Old 24-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #17
Ṣalim
Minor Glitch
Ṣalim will become famous soon enough

Hello Pluvius!

Any DAW would work with the exceptions of Dr. Drum, Sonic Producer and Dub Turbo. So, Reason is fine.

As for what you need to get started, that's the beauty of Ambient, Drone and whatnot. It's personal preference and it's all based on what you feel. If you'd like, you could invest in a recorder and record various sounds such as a busy street, a forest or even your cat purring. Then if you want, you could drench those in FX.

If you don't have the money, you can always explore on Freesound, I know for a fact that Bvdub likes to acquire some samples from there.

Hope I helped,
- D
Ṣalim is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #18
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard

They need to make a Dr. Drone. I'd actually use that.
Old 29-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #19
SubVersion
Minor Glitch
SubVersion is a jewel in the roughSubVersion is a jewel in the roughSubVersion is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Hey threadposter, lots of good suggestions here. Ableton 8 is pretty good for sequencing and audio interface (using a thru for a keyboard, MIDI or Audio/MIDI, I use both) but I don't use Ableton much for timestretching purposefully. I repitch using the transpose function instead and rarely record to a tempo. This kind of thinking is to create transcension in the ambient drone field since, for the most part, ambient is metre-less.
SubVersion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #20
SkyHighDiamonds
Minor Glitch
SkyHighDiamonds has a spectacular aura aboutSkyHighDiamonds has a spectacular aura aboutSkyHighDiamonds has a spectacular aura about
Cornwall
MC Status: 210

Can't add to the software recommendations cos I think they all have their advantages but I think the best ambient music (imho) stems from field recordings, then using those to sample, picking up on binaural beats, adding dynamics and effects. It's always original then, atmospheric with 'feeling' as well as unique and un copyable.

A useful forum for you could be Ambient Online Forums-these are a group of dedicated guys (and gals) who really know their ambient stuff.

Best of luck with the ambient making!

Advertisements

SkyHighDiamonds is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote