What are some of the things one would do to get the full electro/house/ds drop sound?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 10-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
iliveinmyguitar
Soundwave Mangler
iliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460
What are some of the things one would do to get the full electro/house/ds drop sound?

For example, @ 3.01

I'm looking for a "big picture" type of answer. From a technical stand point, what would one want to do to achieve such bamboozlement to the senses?

I try to fill up the spectrum by layering different sounds but it always ends up sounding thin..

For example, @1.06

Thanks alot in advance!

Advertisements

iliveinmyguitar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644018
Thanked 4,895 Times in 3,160 Posts
Re: What are some of the things one would do to get the full electro/house/ds drop so

Ok I'll play...

I would assume since you listen to this particular type of music you probably know wow to make a midrange brostep bass like that. If not YouTube should be able to give you more pointed info on that end as I dont really listen to or make that type of music.

The rest though is just supersaw chords, there's a sub layer in there, and some modulated noise in between it all. Like a long noise riser that is retriggered (I think) a few times in the drop there.

I listened to that on my headphones and, in my opinion, it's waaaaaaaaaay too loud. You might have better luck trying to find your own sound though because, if not, you'll always be comparing yourself to someone who has perfected their style.

Best of luck to you.

Edit: there's also probably some sidechain compression going on with the kick / sub and maybe the kick / noise for that pump you feel.

Last edited by RFJ; 10-26-2013 at 09:24 PM..

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
Hansen
Minor Glitch
Hansen will become famous soon enoughHansen will become famous soon enough
London/Dusseldorf
MC Status: 110
Re: What are some of the things one would do to get the full electro/house/ds drop so

Practice. You've got the right idea. Now all you have to do is practice. A lot.
Hansen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Sebt1890
Granular Poster
Sebt1890 will become famous soon enoughSebt1890 will become famous soon enough
Los Angeles
MC Status: 110

Make the breakdown a db or two lower than the drop.

Automate the EQ to cut as you buildup before the drop and let it all go at the drop.

Just a few things that I like to do.
Sebt1890 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:22 AM   #5
iliveinmyguitar
Soundwave Mangler
iliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of light

These are all great tips guys thank you!But I guess it does come down to just practicing alot
Old 02-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
Lroncayolo95
Learning The Ropes
Lroncayolo95 is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

I've heard that if you layer two synths and don't EQ them correctly you might get them both to fight for their place in the spectrum and will end up lowering the volume/thickness of both... You might try these few things I've learned this past days (I'm kind of a newbie anyways)
- While EQing, do your substractive EQing thing taking away the parts that you don't like from each synth and boosting the other one in the same frequency area... or if in doubt you can compare both sounds, and take away the one that sounds less.. nice... (Thumbs up for my awesome vocabulary :v), while, as I said, boosting in a subtle way the freq on the other one, Savvy?
- The other one is to check your chord structure, lead synths/supersaws are known and are popular for the richness in their sound (They have all.. Low, mid and high frequencies), I believe, sorry if I'm wrong, Lead synths/supersaws occupy like 4 octaves in their chords, melodies? so check that out too.
I think that's all I've got to say... Hope any piece of advice here can be worth your while, also... That's a nice song you got there, hope you get to finish it 100%
Lroncayolo95 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:45 AM   #7
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 16310

porter robinson dosent use sidechain at all hes very explicit about that. (he fakes it with either gross beat or lfo tool he uses fl studio and mainly stock plugins aswell) the way ive seen that he gets big sounds is by bussing out to maxi muses (adding maximus to a channel and sending multiple sounds to them)
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
davidgericke
Granular Poster
davidgericke has a spectacular aura aboutdavidgericke has a spectacular aura aboutdavidgericke has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Im not sure how you drawing in your midi but a technique i use is...if you've got a C major chord then try drawing the C on C2, E on E3 and G on G4, even add an extra C higher up (C3 or C4 or C5). Hope this make sense and helps thicken out your sound.

i also try filter out the bass in the buildup just before the drop
davidgericke is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
qwbzerra
Analog Lurker
qwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to beholdqwbzerra is a splendid one to behold
Fullerton, CA
MC Status: 860

I think the problem lies not in the sound design but in the actual composition of your track.

I listened to your track and I thought the "drop" was actually quite good for an electro house drop [or whatever style you are trying to go for]

What is lacking is the buildup though...

Most of these high energy electro/house/complextro tracks you listen to all have one thing in common:

BUILDUPS

Even something simple like a white noise buildup can make a huge impact on your track, it gives the illusion that your track is way bigger than it actual is, because once people start listening to dynamic contrast your track becomes bigger in their ears.

I've listened to tracks with mediocre drops that have fantastic buildups that make crowds go nuts, just because of the energy it brings into that kind of music.
qwbzerra is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #10
Jonathan
Sample Destroyer
Jonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MC
Québec
MC Status: 323781

....also there is often a snare/kick roll in those buildup (porter has one) ...

------------------
Jonathan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
Birtan Tankir
Radial Developer
Birtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the rough
Melbourne
MC Status: 260

youtube tuts man, itll teach you so much
Birtan Tankir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #12
Ronin1973
Regular Freak
Ronin1973 has a spectacular aura aboutRonin1973 has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Assuming that you start mixing with all your faders down and bring up the kick first:

The more headroom you give yourself the better. Set the kick to peak at around -20dB to around -15dB.

You need headroom to bring in those other tracks, especially the sub-bass and the snare. You're probably going to put a limiter on the master anyways. Headroom is the most important part of creating a loud mix.

This will also give you options once you're mix is about done and you decide you really want just a little more snare, kick, sub, whatever. You should be able to turn a part up or down a little without it washing out the other parts. That's careful EQ, compression, and panning... and the headroom to handle the changes.

Oh, and never mix into an active compressor or limiter. How hard you hit the compressor is going to change the nature of the sound that's output. You want to control your dynamics, not let them control you.
Ronin1973 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:04 AM   #13
iliveinmyguitar
Soundwave Mangler

I heard somewhere that if youre gonna put a limiter on the master after the track is mixed, the highs and the lows are going to be brought out as more prominent. So a solution to this,, they proposed, is to throw on an EQ before the compressor unit and bring down the low and the high ends of the entire track... I may be making this up but im pretty sure I read this somewhere. And Yeah, I tend to start from 0db on all my tracks but it needs to be done a couple of weeks after im finished with it cause than my ears are more keen to get proper lvling on all channels.

Anothjer thing I noticed about all the pro's is that they don't limit their tracks unless they really have to. THeir advice is that clipping with great dynamic range is more desirable than a shitty limiter application....
Old 07-30-2014, 02:45 AM   #14
Ronin1973
Regular Freak
Ronin1973 has a spectacular aura aboutRonin1973 has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveinmyguitar View Post
I heard somewhere that if youre gonna put a limiter on the master after the track is mixed, the highs and the lows are going to be brought out as more prominent. So a solution to this,, they proposed, is to throw on an EQ before the compressor unit and bring down the low and the high ends of the entire track... I may be making this up but im pretty sure I read this somewhere. And Yeah, I tend to start from 0db on all my tracks but it needs to be done a couple of weeks after im finished with it cause than my ears are more keen to get proper lvling on all channels.

Anothjer thing I noticed about all the pro's is that they don't limit their tracks unless they really have to. THeir advice is that clipping with great dynamic range is more desirable than a shitty limiter application....
Limiters tend to take the top end out of your track, usually the transients. The overall balance of the mix under the limiter tends to shift towards the lows and the middles. The transient peak will probably trigger the limiter and if the attack is fast enough it will start compressing there. This is why it's always useful to use a limiter that has an attack setting.

If you're limiting a full mix, you really don't want to hit it harder than 3dB of reduction or so. There are always exceptions. But a good rule of thumb is that if your compressor or limiter is ALWAYS in gain reduction, you're settings are way off. That means your attack time and your release time are useless and you're cutting off transients.

When you think you have your compressor/limiter setting perfect, take a VERY critical listen to it while adjusting the attack. If you set the attack to a longer setting, is the output a little punchier? Did the volume level stay relatively the same? If "yes" and "yes" then you're on the right track.

Find a nice punch drum loop and slap a compressor across it and do some playing around with extreme settings and light settings. Learn to HEAR the difference. You have to train your ears.
Ronin1973 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #15
ILikeHorses
Granular Poster
ILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveinmyguitar View Post

Anothjer thing I noticed about all the pro's is that they don't limit their tracks unless they really have to. Their advice is that clipping with great dynamic range is more desirable than a shitty limiter application....
I know i'm late on this, but if you want more impact on drops, pay attention to the build up. one thing i learned, and that is probably the case with The Seconds, is that the buildup is where you take your bass frequencies out. If you doing edm music etc. that will help a lot. Except for big room where the main sound is more on Mid/High end of the spectrum. Try not mudding up your build up, bringing your drop elements gradually and in lower volume/filtered til it all collapses in the drop, where you can bring your bass back and it will seem more full. complete silence before the drop helps too. Sidechain everything to the kick and the snare. so they duck everything and stand out more :p
ILikeHorses is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #16
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8502830
Thanked 6,238 Times in 4,478 Posts

experiment

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:18 PM   #17
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Did i just read digital clipping is a desirable thing?..sry throw up a little bit..

I wish some would put time in understanding the mix down portion than anything..going from a 32 bit float or 64 bit DAW engine( it only sounds like in the DAW) to a 24 bit bounce and wonder things sound like ass.

but experiment....sry digital clipping makes me tum tum flip fop.

Advertisements

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
Kvlt O))) (05-21-2015)