Shpongle - Museum of Consciousness
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Go Back » Music By Genre » Techno
Old 08-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Dissonance
Regular Freak
Dissonance has a spectacular aura aboutDissonance has a spectacular aura about
USA
MC Status: 160
Icon5 Shpongle - Museum of Consciousness

Well, there's not exactly a "proper" forum for Shpongle so if this needs to be moved I understand.

Museum of Consciousness is the first full length Shpongle release since 2009's "Ineffable Mysteries," and in 2011 "The God Particle" which consisted of two songs to hold fans over I guess.

I'm curious what people think about the new album. I've pretty much heard nothing but rave reviews, but then again anything by Shpongle sounds good when mixed with illicit substances so I decided to listen to it a few times completely sober and have to be honest. I was not THAT impressed. I keep hearing this is the best album yet by this duo of Simon Posford and Raja Ram, but I am hesitant to even place it near the top. That would mean placing it above albums with true masterpieces like "Around the World In A Tea Daze," "Once Upon the Sea of Blissful Awareness," "A New Way To Say Hooray," "My Head Feels Like a Frisbee," "Nothing Is Something Worth Doing," "Invisible Man In A Fluorescent Suit," and more.

Personally, Ineffable Mysteries is my favorite overall Shpongle album. It just has that magic that sucks you into the music and takes you to another place.

With this newest release, I still don't feel I'm entirely ready to give a final verdict as Shpongle albums tend to grow on me over time (except Ineffable Mysteries, I thought it was a masterpiece start to finish on the first listen). I like the storytelling sort of idea they delve into starting with "Brain In A Fish tank" and it certainly does take you on a journey, I'm just not quite sure I've had the right mindset to truly enjoy it yet. However I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes Shpongle, OTT, Younger Brother, etc.

Any other Shpongle fans out there?

Advertisements

Dissonance is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Shpongle - Museum of Consciousness
Old 08-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts
Re: Shpongle - Museum of Consciousness

Moving this to the General Music Scene forum where it will get much more love. I am Shpongled.
I had heard they were done with the Shpongle name because of their views of illegal downloading of their music, glad to see they are still hard at work, and (hopefully) touring again!

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 58460
Thanked 1,169 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
Well, there's not exactly a "proper" forum for Shpongle so if this needs to be moved I understand.

Museum of Consciousness is the first full length Shpongle release since 2009's "Ineffable Mysteries," and in 2011 "The God Particle" which consisted of two songs to hold fans over I guess.

I'm curious what people think about the new album. I've pretty much heard nothing but rave reviews, but then again anything by Shpongle sounds good when mixed with illicit substances so I decided to listen to it a few times completely sober and have to be honest. I was not THAT impressed. I keep hearing this is the best album yet by this duo of Simon Posford and Raja Ram, but I am hesitant to even place it near the top. That would mean placing it above albums with true masterpieces like "Around the World In A Tea Daze," "Once Upon the Sea of Blissful Awareness," "A New Way To Say Hooray," "My Head Feels Like a Frisbee," "Nothing Is Something Worth Doing," "Invisible Man In A Fluorescent Suit," and more.

Personally, Ineffable Mysteries is my favorite overall Shpongle album. It just has that magic that sucks you into the music and takes you to another place.

With this newest release, I still don't feel I'm entirely ready to give a final verdict as Shpongle albums tend to grow on me over time (except Ineffable Mysteries, I thought it was a masterpiece start to finish on the first listen). I like the storytelling sort of idea they delve into starting with "Brain In A Fish tank" and it certainly does take you on a journey, I'm just not quite sure I've had the right mindset to truly enjoy it yet. However I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes Shpongle, OTT, Younger Brother, etc.

Any other Shpongle fans out there?
I agree with you. there are some songs I really like (especially Juggling Molecules) but overall I found it sounded just like their old stuff and I was a bit disappointed that they didn't really try anything new but rather made another album that "just sounds like Shpongle..." if you know what I mean.

I already had a similar feeling about their last album but I really enjoyed "Shpongolese Spoken Here" and "Invisible Man In A Fluorescent Suit".

Before that I really liked "Nothing Lasts but Nothing is Lost". I felt the beginning and end were the strongest parts of that album with the middle section lacking a bit but overall I really enjoyed it also partially because it was one continuous seamless album and not a collection of disconnected songs...

Dunno... guess I'm just a little disappointed that a "psychedelic band" such as Shpongle sticks to their own formula (which sells obviously) instead of having the guts to do some experimentation and try something new, which to me psychedelics are all about (questioning and breaking out of usual habitual patterns and bringing back new ideas)...

But hey: Each to their own I guess...

Last edited by professurreal; 08-13-2013 at 03:03 PM..

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Voyac
Soundwave Mangler
Voyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MC
Gdynia
MC Status: 3587899

Well i just love beign shpongled. The new album is great, more trance-y as they were lastly, however I still enjoy Shpongle's work.
Voyac is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 58460
Thanked 1,169 Times in 782 Posts

Well I have to say I have listened to the album a few more times and actually quite like it.
They just do what they do really well and I suppose Simon has shown that he can step out of his usual stuff and do something else in his Younger Brother stuff...

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
StampedeMe
Future Epic Ban Victim
StampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Elblag
MC Status: 3861

This album gets a whole lot of plays in my library recently. What's more interesting, as I enjoyed their albums for the complexity before, on this album the synthy energetic "psytrance" (?) parts get me the most. The last two minutes of "Brain In A Fishtank" and the (hehe) "drop" in "How The Jellyfish..." at 3:00 are my favourite parts. I wish to find more of that, don't know where to search though.

------------------
Most of my posts begin with: "Well,"
StampedeMe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
KymaFreq
Sample Destroyer
KymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MC
The Pacific NW
MC Status: 644385

I really love all of the Shpongle albums. In regards to the latest album, I think Simon went for a slightly minimal vibe… like less is more. Some of the grooves seem to be a little bit easier on the ears, if you know what I mean. But it's still the psychedelic music I would expect from a Shpongle album.

Besides the very first album, the one that had the biggest impact on me, considering there had been nothing like it ever, was Nothing Lasts…But Nothing Is Lost. The first time I listened to that musical journey, I was simply dumbfounded at the creativity and slick production.

I would really like to encourage any of you that get a chance to see Simon Posford do a live Shpongle DJ set, don't let it pass you by. A week ago I saw him performing with the Shpongletron 3.0 set design and projection mapping show… absolutely one of the most euphoric nights of this new year. I've seen him 4 times now, and he just keeps getting better. I only wish they would consider doing more than one or two shows in the USA with the full live band. I've got the DVD of their performance at the Roundhouse in London, but I'd love to experience it in person.

I also love all of the other projects such as Younger Brother, etc. But I think we're over due for a brand new Hallucinogen album. Nobody does Psytrance like Simon Posford. So much of the music out there sounds the same. But if you've been exposed to Hallucinogen tracks in the past, you know it… there's nothing else out there that has "that sound". And it's important to have a unique sound to stand out from the rest. I know his fan base wants it badly, but with everything else he's doing, we may still have to wait a while… and there's the chance that we'll never get another album.

Anyway, I'm glad to see there's people who also admire this style of music. Take care guys and gals!!

- KymaFreq
KymaFreq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to KymaFreq
PROton42 (03-21-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #8
Freddie
Minor Glitch
Freddie will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

SHPONGLE EQUALS TRIPPING! NUFF SAID!

Advertisements