[Seeking] Here's something I'm working on - Need your help :)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 05-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
Kieran Bolger
Granular Poster
Kieran Bolger is just really niceKieran Bolger is just really niceKieran Bolger is just really niceKieran Bolger is just really nice
MC Status: 360
[Seeking] Here's something I'm working on - Need your help :)

Alright guys, hope you are all well! I think I'm posting in the right place for this.. Apologies if not

I think you'll like this!

We are currently taking Beta applications for a brand new online electronic music record store. Our site, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
will provide independent and professional producers and record labels with a self managed platform to sell, promote and distribute their music online.

Users get real-time and on demand sales statistics and provide services for all levels of user.

Our goal is to make things easier, fairer and more straight forward for producers like ourselves to sell music and receive payment for that music! We are experienced in the industry and we know things could be better..

We've all experienced what it's like to try sell music under the current industry process....

You can apply for our Beta at our [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, or [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
-

You can also check out our video [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Can't wait to see you on the site soon!

Last edited by Kieran Bolger; 05-15-2013 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Better Description

Advertisements

Kieran Bolger is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Monolake - Perpetuum
Old 06-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Kieran Bolger
Granular Poster
Kieran Bolger is just really niceKieran Bolger is just really niceKieran Bolger is just really niceKieran Bolger is just really nice
Here's something I'm working on - Need your help :)

Hi guys,
Some of you may know I've been working on a website that will put the power into the musicians hands. We've come up with a way to pay electronic musicians up to 100% /track sold.

We've worked extremely hard on this and we care a lot about it!

We've just launched a crowd funding campaign for anybody who would like to take a look.

Take a look and decide what you think

I'd love to hear from anybody with any feedback or suggestion you might have also.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Thanks guys,

Kieran
Kieran Bolger is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Bit Biter
Minor Glitch
Bit Biter is just really niceBit Biter is just really niceBit Biter is just really niceBit Biter is just really nice
Baltimore, MD
Re: Here's something I'm working on - Need your help :)

what separates your service from one like Bandcamp?
Bit Biter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 81200
Thanked 1,598 Times in 1,078 Posts

So basically you are asking for money? Should I post my paypal up here while we are at it since I'd love to buy some new music gear?

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8497680
Thanked 6,135 Times in 4,406 Posts

Well for one BandCamp always takes a percentage if I remember correctly. Benwaa posted a service a while back that looked killer, forget the name, but they claimed the artist received 100% of every single sale.

Honestly, it's NOT that hard to setup a PayPal shopping cart on a wordpress page that sends you to a download afterwards...web 2.0 has made things so painfully easy I'm surprised anyone even uses BandCamp or similar services except that people search for new music on those sites.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
Bit Biter
Minor Glitch
Bit Biter is just really niceBit Biter is just really niceBit Biter is just really niceBit Biter is just really nice
Baltimore, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Well for one BandCamp always takes a percentage if I remember correctly. Benwaa posted a service a while back that looked killer, forget the name, but they claimed the artist received 100% of every single sale.

Honestly, it's NOT that hard to setup a PayPal shopping cart on a wordpress page that sends you to a download afterwards...web 2.0 has made things so painfully easy I'm surprised anyone even uses BandCamp or similar services except that people search for new music on those sites.

with the exception of making music I'm pretty computer retarded and even the making music bit is questionable

perfect example: I don't even know how to thank you for your response on this board
Bit Biter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I'm pretty sure I just saw step by step instructions on PayPal for setting something like this up. My point is, though services like BandCamp offers more than a secure check out and storage service/download links...shit ain't rocket surgery...

------------------
Old 06-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883206
Thanked 3,294 Times in 2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit Biter View Post
what separates your service from one like Bandcamp?
This, kind of. From your site:
Quote:
You will help us to break down the barriers to entry for musicians. We want to pay them a fair amount for their music, from 85%-100% per track sold, depending on their chosen package.
From bandcamp:
Quote:
The basic service is free. There are no signup costs, and no listing fees.
We make money via a revenue share on sales: 15% on digital
Your package of €6 month is more expensive than bandcamp for exactly the same return (15%). I think the important factor here is that people aren't going to be making loads of money selling their music, especially at the start. So why are those people going to pay money just for a few things like statistics & analytics when they probably don't care about those things right now?

Edit:
Quote:
Benwaa posted a service a while back that looked killer, forget the name,
Yeah - I was trying to think of the same thing .
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 107960
Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,269 Posts

Quote:
Benwaa posted a service a while back that looked killer, forget the name, but they claimed the artist received 100% of every single sale

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
relic (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 743999191
Thanked 6,635 Times in 4,153 Posts

^^ Bit of a bummer if you make $30.01 in a month though.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883206
Thanked 3,294 Times in 2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
With BPM Junction it's €22/month to earn 100%, so official.fm still seems like a better alternative, as does bandcamp. I'm not seeing the incentive here tbh.

Now if you were proposing to be the new soundcloud...then you'd have my interest .
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to scyn
lolirl (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Good point.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Knowing my luck, I'd make 30.01 EVERY month...

------------------
Old 06-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
lolirl

Yeah, I guess that's still $25.01 more a month but as a percentage it's a bit of a stinger.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Yeah, I guess that's still $25.01 more a month but as a percentage it's a bit of a stinger.
Yea. Percentages look good on paper when you are making 10 a month. But if you start making 1,000 then things start looking greener on the other side of the fence...

------------------
Old 06-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
Sky Swallower
Knob Twiddler
Sky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3910

I'm pretty sure I already posted this in the other thread this guy made, but I already belong to a site that takes no cut whatsoever, so personally there's no appeal for me... but there are already a lot of good sites out there for free digital distribution, plus a multitude of paid ones that work really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Bolger View Post
Alright man hows it going? Thanks for your questions. There are a number of sites out there that offer similar services to BPM Junction. BPM Junction is unique in a number of ways. BPM Junction is focused on electronic music specifically. We offer a subscription based service, from Free to 20 euro /month. We have paid subscriptions for as little as €2/month and offer tools and services to support beginners to develop their knowledge and get their music heard in the electronic music industry. We also offer powerful tools for established and professional producers. Some of the services include a customisable profile, real-time sales stats, DJ set builder, promotion widgets, embed player, and much more. We don't just focus on making it fairer for producers to sell music but also for DJ's to find music at more affordable prices with a very powerful filter opening the spectrum of choice.

Our goal is to open the door for all levels of artist and label to a professional record store. Effectively, it will be like being able to sell your music on Beatport at the click of a button. Once a user has subscribed, they will be able to manage their sales and statistics in 'real-time'. We aim to empower the producer to promote themselves, sell their music, learn, and actually get paid. We know that so many producers these days don't make any money even when selling music and we want to change this, and create a fairer environment.

As a Beta tester, you will have the opportunity to have your say in the development of the BPM Junction website. You will be part of the very first group to use BPM Junction and your say on the finished product will be very important to its success.

We have had a lot of interest in BPM Junction already and now have just 80 places left for the first phase Beta. We will soon have visuals of the site and will be launching a crowd funding campaign. You can find us on our Facebook page for updates if you'd rather wait until a later date to join the Beta or simply hang on until the site is live.

I hope this answers your query. Thanks a again for your questions.

(I posted a similar post recently but it didn't include the video and is not as easy to understand in text so I posted a new thread with the video)
No offense to you at all, but this just sounds like a more genre-limited version of official.fm, bandcamp, or the one I use (stereokiller).
Sky Swallower is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #17
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast

That and the fact that this site isn't developed yet and requires $7000 of indiegogo money to continue developing the website.

------------------
Old 06-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #18
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I think point is...these developers should advertise on Future Producers. They all have that sweet, sweet mommy and daddy money and/or I only use cracked software money.

------------------
Thanks to relic
RFJ (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Best Coast

I guess what it is for me is that I am tired of being asked for money. With Indiegogo it's so easy for people to ask for money.

There are so many great causes out there that need to fund-raise - helping people etc. You are asking for money to create a website with the ultimate goal of making profit. I imagine a lot of us are involved with all kinds of charities etc that need money and we don't go spamming our shit all over the forum trying to snag some money. You got your 30 posts and immediately use it to hit up the community for money.

I feel anger.

------------------
Old 06-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
I guess what it is for me is that I am tired of being asked for money. With Indiegogo it's so easy for people to ask for money.

There are so many great causes out there that need to fund-raise - helping people etc. You are asking for money to create a website with the ultimate goal of making profit. I imagine a lot of us are involved with all kinds of charities etc that need money and we don't go spamming our shit all over the forum trying to snag some money. You got your 30 posts and immediately use it to hit up the community for money.

I feel anger.
Man, I feel ya. I think that's the appropriate response. And to add to that, if this goes tits up have the developers really lost anything but spare time? Because if they actually get their 7,000 or whatever, that should be plenty to get this service up and running.

A web developer worth their salt could do this on weekends/at night while holding down a job.

If you took this business idea to a banker they'd probably laugh...because it's been done...and I highly doubt you are going to outdo BandCamp at this point.

Advertisements

------------------