Best Industrial Synths
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 04-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin
MC Status: 3060
Best Industrial Synths

What are the best synthesizer's for classic industrial? I have an access virus B classic right now, but I'm wondering what the best are for that classic sound. Thanks.

Advertisements

Aphexbeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Coil - Out In the cold
Old 04-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47010
Re: Best Industrial Synths

That's a pretty powerful and knobby synth you have there already. I think you can probably get whatever sounds you need out of it with some tweaking.
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
hotwatermusic
Soundscaper
hotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2210

It has more to do with your programming, but the classic is ESQ1/ESQ80.
hotwatermusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
ThEstEmp
Analog Lurker
ThEstEmp is a jewel in the roughThEstEmp is a jewel in the roughThEstEmp is a jewel in the roughThEstEmp is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

I used the Korg DS-10 for most of the tracks in my album. Its basically a korg ms-10 emulated and then modified for the Nintendo DS. Instead of getting it for industrial though, I would recommend Bristol, a free software project meant to emulate most synths, I believe the ms-20, which is alot like the ms-10 only better, is emulated on there.
ThEstEmp is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644068
Thanked 4,896 Times in 3,160 Posts

The absolute best synth for any and all types of industrial music is, hands down, the one you learn how to use.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #6
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEstEmp View Post
I used the Korg DS-10 for most of the tracks in my album. Its basically a korg ms-10 emulated and then modified for the Nintendo DS. Instead of getting it for industrial though, I would recommend Bristol, a free software project meant to emulate most synths, I believe the ms-20, which is alot like the ms-10 only better, is emulated on there.
Hmm how odd that it is being modified for the Ds. How would you even get that sound to your computer? I like the Ms-20.. I have a microkorg, which is the smaller version of the ms-2000. I really really want a ms-20 or ms-10... I have heard that they make the best basslines. But man those are so expensive and the cables are huge. Korg has recently made a compact version (Korg ms-20 mini), which uses smaller cables for connections, has usb, also midi, and the best part is it is only about $550.

------------------
Industrial, Trance, Dubstep, electronic, Ambient,
Current featured track:
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/caffeinecannibal
Support my Band!http://lemork.bandcamp.com/album/waves
Old 06-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #7
ThEstEmp
Analog Lurker
ThEstEmp is a jewel in the roughThEstEmp is a jewel in the roughThEstEmp is a jewel in the roughThEstEmp is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphexbeats View Post
Hmm how odd that it is being modified for the Ds. How would you even get that sound to your computer? I like the Ms-20.. I have a microkorg, which is the smaller version of the ms-2000. I really really want a ms-20 or ms-10... I have heard that they make the best basslines. But man those are so expensive and the cables are huge. Korg has recently made a compact version (Korg ms-20 mini), which uses smaller cables for connections, has usb, also midi, and the best part is it is only about $550.
I just plugged the headphone output into the microphone input on my computer, and I didn't realize korg had rereleased the ms-20, r u sure its not just that USB controller they had for awhile with their vst synth remakes?

Last edited by ThEstEmp; 06-03-2013 at 01:59 AM..

------------------
Old 06-03-2013, 01:34 AM   #8
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Wisconsin

Quote:
I just plugged the headphone output into the microphone input on my computer, and I didn't realize korg had rereleased the ms-20, r u sure its not just that USB controller they had for awhile with their vst synth remakes?
Lol I have researched this so much... Here you go! [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. This is awesome...There are videos also on youtube with interviews from the original creators talking about the process. Basically, everything is the same from the original, except the size is smaller, the cables are smaller, it has midi and it has usb connection. I was originally informed of this from Assemblage 23's blog 'Waveformless'. I truly want to buy this, maybe in a few years.

------------------
Current featured track:
Thanks to Aphexbeats
hotwatermusic (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #9
ThEstEmp
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Lol I have researched this so much... Here you go! [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. This is awesome...There are videos also on youtube with interviews from the original creators talking about the process. Basically, everything is the same from the original, except the size is smaller, the cables are smaller, it has midi and it has usb connection. I was originally informed of this from Assemblage 23's blog 'Waveformless'. I truly want to buy this, maybe in a few years.
my mistake, this is incredibly badass, I really want to get one now, really badly, will it require special windows drivers to talk to the computer or will it just be a standard midi device? I ask because I use GNU/Linux for my music production

Last edited by ThEstEmp; 06-03-2013 at 01:59 AM..

------------------
Old 06-03-2013, 01:48 AM   #10
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Wisconsin

Quote:
my mistake, this is incredibly badass, I really want to get one now, really badly, will it require special windows drivers to talk to the computer or will it just be a standard midi device? I ask because I use GNU/Linux for my music production
Based from my Windows experience, you will probably have to download some lame drivers from Korg's website. I went to Mac for this reason, and it has been totally worth it. I haven't used Linux, so I cannot answer that question, sorry. You can always set up an external midi device in your computer and then name it so it can connect to your Daw. If you do end up buying this, please give me a message to tell me how it is..and also I would love to hear some music you make with it, thanks.

------------------
Current featured track:
Old 06-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #11
ThEstEmp
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Based from my Windows experience, you will probably have to download some lame drivers from Korg's website. I went to Mac for this reason, and it has been totally worth it. I haven't used Linux, so I cannot answer that question, sorry. You can always set up an external midi device in your computer and then name it so it can connect to your Daw. If you do end up buying this, please give me a message to tell me how it is..and also I would love to hear some music you make with it, thanks.
alright, thanks for the info, I'll definatly let u know if I get it, it might be awhile though, i don't have much money and I kinda wanna wait awhile to see how people make it work with GNU/Linux

------------------
Old 06-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644068
Thanked 4,896 Times in 3,160 Posts

The USB on the ms20 mini only transmits midi information so you'll need some sort of interface if you want to record the audio as well.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12851510

Industrial music is all about the sampler if you ask me, far more so than the synth. So probably an MPC or ESX1.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
ThEstEmp
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
The USB on the ms20 mini only transmits midi information so you'll need some sort of interface if you want to record the audio as well.
oh, I have a good m-audio interface

------------------
Old 06-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

The trusty original MS-20 paired with my OB-12 rockes the industrial out back in the day...

The OB-12 especially..god I miss those two synths..kick myself everyday for ever getting rid of them. stupid me...
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #16
LavLab
Minor Glitch
LavLab has a spectacular aura aboutLavLab has a spectacular aura about
Boston, MA
MC Status: 160

Anything Ensoniq! Not just because I have one....
LavLab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #17
BignSlim
Regular Freak
BignSlim is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

MS-20 paired with my OB-12
BignSlim is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #18
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BignSlim View Post
MS-20 paired with my OB-12
Logic 5?!?!? Geez you must be running a prehistoric mac.

------------------
Current featured track:
Old 07-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #19
mholloway
Master of the LFO
mholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MC
Portland, Oregon, USA
MC Status: 1435759

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikighost View Post
Industrial music is all about the sampler if you ask me, far more so than the synth. So probably an MPC or ESX1.

I agree with this 100%. The lion's share of sounds in classic industrial came from presets, tweakings, and self-made sample patches from Emulator I and II, E-Max I and II, Ensoniq Mirage, Akai S900, S1000 and onward, etc. Synths play a huge role too, of course, but the Sampler is arguably the more important instrument in terms of finding the variety of noises, textures and instrumentation that make up classic records like Front by Front, VivisectVi, Confessions of a Knife, Land of Rape and Honey, Downward Spiral, etc.

------------------

a modern twist on old-school electro-industrial music:
https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/deadwhenifoundher
mholloway is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #20
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MC
Wulf Palace
MC Status: 40812

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
The absolute best synth for any and all types of industrial music is, hands down, the one you learn how to use.
you hit the nose on the ball.

and you don't need synthesis to make industrial sounds. ive had a lot of fun and progress feeding white noise through different filters. food for thought

Advertisements

------------------
Wulfsok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Wulfsok
RFJ (07-05-2013)