The Patch Bay - Programmer's Subforum
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Modular software & programming MaxMSP, Reaktor, Pure Data, Jeskola BUZZ, and other modular programs. Any questions relating to these programs (patching, favorite ensembles) should be posted in this forum.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
cirric
Deep Underground
cirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MC
SF
MC Status: 7104577
The Patch Bay - Programmer's Subforum

Hi, so the patch bay has been created as a place for developers of Max/MSP, Reaktor, Supercollider, Csound, and perhaps whatever other audio programming environments are out there. Sharing and collaboration is encouraged, we can certainly spare a few tips/tricks without giving away our super special trade secrets

Advertisements

------------------
bandcamp | soundcloud | tumblr | twitter

Like my facebook page for a free album code.
cirric is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Gummo
Regular Freak
Gummo has a spectacular aura aboutGummo has a spectacular aura aboutGummo has a spectacular aura about
Milano
MC Status: 241
Re: The Patch Bay - Programmer's Subforum

You should move all the various reaktor/maxmsp threads here.... if you're bored or something. Good idea anyways. , somebody make a "how to go from total n00b to autechrish genius" tutorial.
Gummo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
ben crea
Learning The Ropes
ben crea is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

i like vaginas.....
ben crea is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

so yeah.
here you go:
Pure Data:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

also a useful link collection from the synthmaker wiki:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by gbsr; 04-01-2008 at 03:53 PM..

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
cirric
Deep Underground
cirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MC
SF

So ... who all would be interested in starting a thread of free software useful basic tools that *you've* developed? I'm thinking specifically of Max abstractions ... mid-level utilities that can form integral parts of completed scripts ... I'd rather provide a basis for sharing ideas and stimulating creativity with music programming versus just making some black-box plugins for n00bs to noodle with

I'd prefer using something like the GPL for all patches, to start kind of a communal pool, collectively known as the "idmforums creative commons toolkit" (or something). You've probably encountered sites that host sample libraries under some "copyleft" license ... but really such licensing is really best used for code itsself, being much more versatile and dynamic thing.

Here's the wikipedia page on the GPL: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I'm not sure whether the GPL really addresses whether or not tunes made with, say, a Max patch are subject to the same public licensing ... that would be kind of silly in the case of working musicians, so any tunes made with the "idmforums creative commons toolkit" would not be subject to the public license.

How does that sound? Too hippyful or just enough?

------------------

Old 09-01-2008, 03:36 AM   #6
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.

yes. good idea, but..

im a n00b and i like noodles.
what should i do?

------------------
Old 09-01-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
alteredtensions
alteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MC
Los Angeles
MC Status: 156639

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsr View Post
yes. good idea, but..

what should i do?
you get max/msp first

------------------
alteredtensions is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #8
cirric
Deep Underground
SF

Quote:
yes. good idea, but..

what should i do?
Yep, getting Max is step 1

Also, I'd read through the tutorials, try the examples there ... then get this book: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, I might go so far as to say it's the missing manual for Max.

For n00bs, just regularly read about/play with Max and eventually you'll get better and better

------------------

Old 09-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,439 Times in 1,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben crea View Post
i like vaginas.....
truly the only worthwhile statement in this thread
fidelium is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
gbsr
gothenburg, sweden.

got max, done the tutorials. but when a patch becomes too complex, i go blind.

------------------
Old 09-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #11
cirric
Deep Underground
SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelium View Post
truly the only worthwhile statement in this thread
I must confess Max is not something you can put your dick in

------------------

Old 09-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #12
cirric
Deep Underground
SF

Quote:
got max, done the tutorials. but when a patch becomes too complex, i go blind.
Are you very modular and organized?

------------------

Old 09-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
gbsr
gothenburg, sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirric View Post
Are you very modular and organized?
hehe. um.. no :p

nah, the thing is that im having troubles seeing the whole pictured with patterns etc, i did a rorshach test as a part of a psychic evaluation before i got put on a pension, and thats whwere they decided that im having troubles with patterns and seeing how it all fits together. so i guess thats why a major patch in max can be very daunting for me.

i know that i can do it though, ive been making alot of things with synthmaker and that turned out just fine. i think its just that the max interface is so minimal in itself that everything to me just gets blurred out into a black and white mess of boxes and lines.

ill keep trying though
i figured i might actually give it a go from scratch again and read the documentation when im not hungover, nor tired as hell. never tried that as of yet hah!

------------------
Old 09-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #14
cirric
Deep Underground
SF

Yeah ... well a messy and complex max patch is going to be hard for anyone to decipher. Using 'p' subpatches can help a lot, and taking some time to layout the patch in a neat, logical way helps, too. And yeah, that is something that just takes practice to get better at, not only for other people necessarily, but if you come back to a patch after not having looked at it in a long time, it can be hard to figure remember how it worked.

------------------

Old 11-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #15
gbsr
gothenburg, sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirric View Post
Yeah ... well a messy and complex max patch is going to be hard for anyone to decipher. Using 'p' subpatches can help a lot, and taking some time to layout the patch in a neat, logical way helps, too. And yeah, that is something that just takes practice to get better at, not only for other people necessarily, but if you come back to a patch after not having looked at it in a long time, it can be hard to figure remember how it worked.
yeah. you know, i wish that graphical programming should follow the same golden rule as normal programmers do. i mean, just enter any open cvs and take a look at the code there.

its messy perhaps, but even though its been coded by several people, having tons of include files and whatnots, they all follow roughly the same syntax.

people programming things with a graphical language just places crap wherever they feel like, and then wire it up accordingly...,which is fine unless you decide to release it to the public.
imo.

------------------
Old 13-01-2008, 03:01 AM   #16
cirric
Deep Underground
SF

Well, yeah, Max doesn't (I guess as a matter of design philsophy) impose much if any organizational convention. Kind of like perl, in a way. You have to be anal about structuring stuff consistently, as the language doesn't do it for you ... for larger projects IMO that's a bad thing. :-/

p.s. I was a cvs guru in a past life

------------------

Old 13-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #17
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12851960

Is this sub forum open to Thor patches too?

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #18
gbsr
gothenburg, sweden.

really dont know why it shouldnt be. imo, it should be open to any kind of patches. i for one would love to see what crazy shit people cook up with thor, havent played enough with it yet.

------------------
Thanks to gbsr
PROton42 (23-12-2013)
Old 13-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #19
cirric
Deep Underground
SF

Yeah thor or any other modular programming sounds good

------------------

Old 19-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #20
S-N-S
Soundwave Mangler
S-N-S has a spectacular aura aboutS-N-S has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 198

we need more stuff for the VERY underated plogue bidule

Advertisements

------------------
http://soundcloud.com/eroticore-stench

destroying music with: