Launching website for artists, would love feedback!
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Classifieds Buy, Sell and offer your services to other members here

Old 28-02-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
OCaptain
Regular Freak
OCaptain will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Icon2 Launching website for artists, would love feedback!

Hey Forum,

I'm launching a new blog on March 1st called MelodyScore.com that will post a new song from an electronic artist everyday. The song starts at $0.25 and each purchase increases the price until it reaches $0.99 where it stays.

I would love your feedback on the idea and what I can do to make it the best place for electronic artists to post new releases. You can submit your music for review at the "submit your music" link on the site.

Please let me know what you think,
David
O, Captain

Advertisements

OCaptain is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #2
jds1
jds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 2797866
Re: Launching website for artists, would love feedback!

1. The name doesnt match the idea, it actually misleads (if in a confusing way)
I'd change this first and work on your branding and what kind of product you're looking to push.

2. Why does the price increase? having the price increase or decrease over time is problematic to buyers. i.e. the price is low at start, buyers die off over time, the price is high to start people wont take first step until others start making the price go down.
A choose how much to pay option would be better (as is already used elsewhere, maybe with a minimum amount set) people dont go to blogs to buy music, but sure the links to the places where they can would be beneficial.

3. Competition. you think this is a solid enough idea with so much options already available on the market that already work. do you want to spend your efforts in such competition with this idea?

4. I think the blogging side of things is more viable to stick with to expose the artists, using it as a promotional vehicle for them and they can set their own stores up via bandcamp etc.
it's actually hard to find great blogs which actually concentrate on new/underground artists as most want the quick/easy fix of just covering established acts. so i think there's a lot of potential in the blogging/promotion side of underground music. some successful blogs even turn out to be labels eventually. check out Tri Angle Records!

5. Choose: Is it a blog, digital store or a label?
i think it's best to start out with the former to grow onto bigger things from there.
collate some talent and push them, who knows, you may have a label up in no time if you get the right collection together.
jds1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

So, you plan on making money off other people's music, do they get anything MONETARY in return? Is this just a shameless self promotional thread for this terrible idea?

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
OCaptain
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds1 View Post
1. The name doesnt match the idea, it actually misleads (if in a confusing way)
I'd change this first and work on your branding and what kind of product you're looking to push.

2. Why does the price increase? having the price increase or decrease over time is problematic to buyers. i.e. the price is low at start, buyers die off over time, the price is high to start people wont take first step until others start making the price go down.
A choose how much to pay option would be better (as is already used elsewhere, maybe with a minimum amount set) people dont go to blogs to buy music, but sure the links to the places where they can would be beneficial.

3. Competition. you think this is a solid enough idea with so much options already available on the market that already work. do you want to spend your efforts in such competition with this idea?

4. I think the blogging side of things is more viable to stick with to expose the artists, using it as a promotional vehicle for them and they can set their own stores up via bandcamp etc.
it's actually hard to find great blogs which actually concentrate on new/underground artists as most want the quick/easy fix of just covering established acts. so i think there's a lot of potential in the blogging/promotion side of underground music. some successful blogs even turn out to be labels eventually. check out Tri Angle Records!

5. Choose: Is it a blog, digital store or a label?
i think it's best to start out with the former to grow onto bigger things from there.
collate some talent and push them, who knows, you may have a label up in no time if you get the right collection together.
Wow this is a lot of great feedback! Let me try my attempt at answering some of your main points-

1. The name seemed pretty simple to me, like the listeners are scoring great melodies... I'll have to ask around some more to see if it really confuses or misleads

2. The price increases to give the incentive for listeners to buy the song as soon as possible before the price rises. Once the price has elevated there is social proof that other people like the song (people will know that a song that reaches $.99 is worth every penny)

3. The competition for selling music has always and will always be competitive, but it's something I look forward to. I'd like to make an impact on the industry and give power to the artists.

4. Good suggestion, it is difficult to find underground music blogs and underground artists. Hopefully I can create a place for underground artists to come promote their music just like a blog would.

5. Another great suggestion, it is a hybrid. I'm not interested in running a label but that's a possibility in the future.

Thanks for taking so much time to help me! I really appreciate the feedback and hope I can prove myself through the following weeks.

Cheers,
David
Old 28-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #5
jds1
jds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MC
Brisbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broton42 View Post
So, you plan on making money off other people's music, do they get anything MONETARY in return? Is this just a shameless self promotional thread for this terrible idea?
yeah it seems unfeasible doesnt it.

i think just creating a fantastic blog for undiscovered talent would be the best approach.

im not sure how you monetise it, but usually im assuming it'd be by creating a fan/follower base,
and getting appropriate advertising once it's established as such, create a youtube channel in conjunction with the site and imbed it too.
Old 28-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
jds1
Brisbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCaptain View Post
Wow this is a lot of great feedback! Let me try my attempt at answering some of your main points-

1. The name seemed pretty simple to me, like the listeners are scoring great melodies... I'll have to ask around some more to see if it really confuses or misleads

2. The price increases to give the incentive for listeners to buy the song as soon as possible before the price rises. Once the price has elevated there is social proof that other people like the song (people will know that a song that reaches $.99 is worth every penny)

3. The competition for selling music has always and will always be competitive, but it's something I look forward to. I'd like to make an impact on the industry and give power to the artists.

4. Good suggestion, it is difficult to find underground music blogs and underground artists. Hopefully I can create a place for underground artists to come promote their music just like a blog would.

5. Another great suggestion, it is a hybrid. I'm not interested in running a label but that's a possibility in the future.

Thanks for taking so much time to help me! I really appreciate the feedback and hope I can prove myself through the following weeks.

Cheers,
David

you're assuming that there's going to be this follower base straight off the bat, and more so that they're feverishly wanting to buy stuff and in competition with each other. they dont need this pressure and dont want it, they want options and freedom to choose.
Thanks to jds1
lolirl (28-02-2013)
Old 28-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #7
OCaptain
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broton42 View Post
The artist gets 70% of the profit. At $.25 it's roughly $.18 profit so the artist would receive $.13. At $.99 the artist would receive about $.27 of the profit.

I am not trying to screw anyone over or solely self promote! I make music myself so I know it is difficult to promote music. I'm building the service I wish someone else would have built for me a year ago.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, keep the questions coming!
-David
Thanks to OCaptain
PROton42 (28-02-2013)
Old 28-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #8
jds1
Brisbane

Quote:
you're assuming that there's going to be this follower base straight off the bat, and more so that they're feverishly wanting to buy stuff and in competition with each other. they dont need this pressure and dont want it, they want options and freedom to choose.

start with the product and build the followers.
monetise later with advertising once the fanbase is established,
but only advertise tastefully and sparingly,
as it's getting to the point now on youtube etc where you can't even watch anything without being subjected to 30sec / 1mins advert intro which has little if anything to do with the product itself
Old 28-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
OCaptain
Regular Freak

Quote:
I will be promoting the songs as well as the artists, and I know it will be an uphill battle.

All the artists on here know the "if you build it, they will come" phrase could not be more false. I do not expect people to randomly type in MelodyScore into google and find the site. There is a plan in place to get listeners to the site that I'm currently working on.

Last edited by OCaptain; 28-02-2013 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: Completing incomplete thoughts
Old 28-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #10
jds1
Brisbane

Quote:
The artist gets 70% of the profit. At $.25 it's roughly $.18 profit so the artist would receive $.13. At $.99 the artist would receive about $.27 of the profit.

I am not trying to screw anyone over or solely self promote! I make music myself so I know it is difficult to promote music. I'm building the service I wish someone else would have built for me a year ago.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, keep the questions coming!
-David

let other people worry about this whole other side of the situation though.
bandcamp is already a great vehicle for independent release,
but the problem is there that you need to somehow promote people to go there,
so it's not THAT great for independent artists because they need the promotional side,
that's where blogs come in and can help tremendously.
Old 28-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #11
OCaptain
Regular Freak

Quote:
let other people worry about this whole other side of the situation though.
bandcamp is already a great vehicle for independent release,
but the problem is there that you need to somehow promote people to go there,
so it's not THAT great for independent artists because they need the promotional side,
that's where blogs come in and can help tremendously.
I understand where you're coming from and appreciate your point of view. In my opinion the best way for the artist and me (the site) to make money is to combine the promotion and selling of the song under one site.

The website is basically a blog that allows listeners to buy the song right on the spot at the moment they are hearing the song.
Old 28-02-2013, 05:41 AM   #12
jds1
Brisbane

If you want to monetise it up front,
you'd probably want to make it a label which blogs.

but to do this is jumping quite a few steps unless you have the captial/means to jump them.
ie.

* getting a couple artists together with common ethos/aesthetic
* having the quality of their releases to commercial standard (mixing/mastering/graphicdesign)
* still requiring promotional material/means as you're starting out your own label/blog.

see, if the blog is successful first then the options are a bit more open for you going forward and having the infrastructure set up already to make your decisions easier.
Old 28-02-2013, 05:43 AM   #13
jds1
Brisbane

im actually trying to encourage you here, it may seem negative though.
i just think you need to have your goals and steps clear to start with,
and making the first step on solid footing, otherwise you may end up wasting a lot of potential and time in doing it, or trying hard to steer it in the right direction afterwards.

is it just you at the moment, or are you in talks with other artists etc?
Old 28-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #14
OCaptain
Regular Freak

Quote:
If you want to monetise it up front,
you'd probably want to make it a label which blogs.

but to do this is jumping quite a few steps unless you have the captial/means to jump them.
ie.

* getting a couple artists together with common ethos/aesthetic
* having the quality of their releases to commercial standard (mixing/mastering/graphicdesign)
* still requiring promotional material/means as you're starting out your own label/blog.

see, if the blog is successful first then the options are a bit more open for you going forward and having the infrastructure set up already to make your decisions easier.
Points taken, and I guess one reason I'm hesitant to start a label would be that I want to work with new artists everyday. From my perspective, labels listen to a lot of new artists but only promote a select few and focus all their energy on them. I would rather shine spotlight on new music and be a resource for the electronic artist community.
Old 28-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #15
OCaptain
Regular Freak

Quote:
im actually trying to encourage you here, it may seem negative though.
i just think you need to have your goals and steps clear to start with,
and making the first step on solid footing, otherwise you may end up wasting a lot of potential and time in doing it, or trying hard to steer it in the right direction afterwards.

is it just you at the moment, or are you in talks with other artists etc?
I am EXTREMELY GRATEFUL that you are taking the time to help me out and encourage me to look at the situation! Apologies if my posts seem snappy or rude in return, most definitely not my intention.

I am the only one running the site but I've been in talks with some artists and I've got most of the first week setup for promotions.
Old 28-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #16
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

I will applaud any effort to go around beatport and the likes but at the same time ill be quite critical of the alternatives. Since im currently not sober enough to comment on any of the math or long term ideas ill sit back and watch this thread evolve but its certainly interesting. That said i dont consider most of my music sale worthy but i am definitely looking for a platform that doesnt fuck me over because im getting better and closer. TLDR: Beat the big guys and ill be on board, if you can keep things steady.

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #17
jds1
Brisbane

Quote:
Points taken, and I guess one reason I'm hesitant to start a label would be that I want to work with new artists everyday. From my perspective, labels listen to a lot of new artists but only promote a select few and focus all their energy on them. I would rather shine spotlight on new music and be a resource for the electronic artist community.

So Blog it is then.

you may get purchases here and there but it'd hardly be worth the effort putting the whole basis of the site on this on the outset, plus the fact of having to manage the payments and store.

getting followers is key.
but this is based on the 'selections' you run and becoming a great hub unto which people can access all the best new music/artists.
if this becomes the case, then you could even have paid spots from the artists themselves
(which can be problematic for artists not yet established and can't afford it, so it'd have to be fair),
as they get promotion to a hub market which is relevant to them, and you get paid for providing them that access.

It's a tough pill to swallow, but i think you have to grit and bear the start up phase and worry about the money side of it later.

anyway, i think im repeating myself.
Old 28-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #18
jds1
Brisbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilitez View Post
I will applaud any effort to go around beatport and the likes but at the same time ill be quite critical of the alternatives. Since im currently not sober enough to comment on any of the math or long term ideas ill sit back and watch this thread evolve but its certainly interesting. That said i dont consider most of my music sale worthy but i am definitely looking for a platform that doesnt fuck me over because im getting better and closer. TLDR: Beat the big guys and ill be on board, if you can keep things steady.

I think the best situation would be a pooling of resources by a collective of like-minded artists, which create a label for themselves, a website, imbed the store, and links, and they pool money into creating it, and promoting it once it's established.

I'm trying to do this by myself in the hope to shop to labels in the future but in the meantime use bandcamp (or just have as promotional tool without selling, i havent made up my mind yet, probably better to not sell and just promote teasers for future potential release).
Old 28-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #19
jds1
Brisbane

Quote:
I think the best situation would be a pooling of resources by a collective of like-minded artists, which create a label for themselves, a website, imbed the store, and links, and they pool money into creating it, and promoting it once it's established.

I'm trying to do this by myself in the hope to shop to labels in the future but in the meantime use bandcamp (or just have as promotional tool without selling, i havent made up my mind yet, probably better to not sell and just promote teasers for future potential release).
I think you need to represent yourself as a finished product and have the image/audio figured out.
people who listen to demos dont always understand the context or have the time/patience without the imagery, and could easily overlook it.
Old 28-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #20
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

Isnt that central to any musical journalism? Its about perspective and creativity. I just spent half an hour on a kickroll in a tune i was certainly going to bin yesterday. Things change, thats how life is. And the only job a music reporter ever has is to write his or her's opinion about it.

Advertisements

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote