CPU too slow.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
theonlybman
Analog Lurker
theonlybman is on a distinguished road
Greater New York City Area
MC Status: 10
CPU too slow.

Do any of you have this problem? I use Propellerhead Record (now Reason 6) and I get this whenever I get about 12 to 15 effects running simultaneously. Funny thing is I also get it when I bounce tracks, and then it just becomes frustrating.

Advertisements

------------------
theonlybman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11461304
Re: CPU Too Slow

Are you running out of memory? What computer and OS are you running? What specs?

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness
FACEBOOK FACEBOOK FACEBOOK

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
theonlybman
Analog Lurker

I've got a Presario CQ62 with it looks like 2 GB of ram and a 2.2 GHz processor.

------------------
Old 01-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Dippshoe
cunt
Dippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MC
In an abandoned cave covered by mist in the depths of Jotunheimen.
MC Status: 12810

I think you should upgrade your RAM

------------------

'Don't be an idiot.' Changed my life.
-Dwight Schrute.
Dippshoe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45936531
Thanked 5,567 Times in 3,516 Posts

Yeah if it's a single core cpu you're probably maxing it out. I'm not too well versed on presarios but you might be able to upgrade it. Then again your motherboard might have an upper limit to what it can handle as far as a cpu goes, so you might need a new one...and when you do that usually the ram also has to be upgraded most of the time so you may be looking at some $$$ to throw down if you want better performance.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 90050
Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,186 Posts

Well its basically the cheapest laptop you can get with a horrid processor (Sempron). Reason is one of the most CPU efficient programs you can use to make tunes with as well.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
theonlybman
Analog Lurker

Yeah I'd say that is about right, oh well, until I get some dough, I'll just need to make the most with it.

------------------
Old 01-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
Dippshoe
cunt
Dippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MC

You could bounce more tracks in to one audio track to save up some power while saving up cash tho, lol

------------------

-Dwight Schrute.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
theonlybman
Analog Lurker

Wow great idea, I can't believe I didn't even think of that, other than as a total instrumental bus, but I should do that more often, it could actually end up enhancing the mix by creating some deep layering.

------------------
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
Sideffect
Soundwave Mangler
Sideffect is a name known to allSideffect is a name known to allSideffect is a name known to allSideffect is a name known to allSideffect is a name known to allSideffect is a name known to all
Ghent
MC Status: 610

Your CPU is low, so delete all other tasks while making music,

- download software
- msn skype
- useless background services that automatically start up with OS (like adobe update, winamp agent etc)

You can use easycleaner to delete those... Good software!

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Download : http://easycleaner-blacklist.en.softonic.com/

------------------
Sideffect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

You can also go into services.msc and change what programs open at start up. Also you can go into msconfig, but be careful here as some processes are necessary. This is a little more involved, but you can save a bit of CPU power if you shut a few things off. DISCLAIMER: There are services here that are REQUIRED by the computer, but you can shut these off which would make your computer not start. So be very careful in msconfig. You may want to back up your computer before messing with stuff here.

What you do is open up a Run window, and type "msconfig" (without quotations) to get into msconfig, or type "services.msc" (again without quotations) to get into services.msc.

services.msc is a safer area to change what runs and what doesn't. Here you can change states for different programs from automatic, to manual, to disabled. If they are on automatic, they will start when you turn on your computer, so they'll always be on. You can save come CPU usage by setting things like itunes or other programs you have installed to manual, this was they only start when you use them. You can disable them, but the programs won't work if you run them, and you'll need to go back in and reenable them and/or start the program.

Going through this will affect how your computer operates as far as what functions are available to it, but you can speed it up a bit if you're willing to part with certain programs. For example, I had a Dell Inspiron 6000 (single core 2.1gHz Pentium 4 processor, 2gb of RAM) and I got it a little faster by disabling things like print spooler, which I could do because I never printed anything from that computer anyway. iTunes is an obvious choice, but be careful because the way some programs are labelled they may not seem necessary but end up being critical.

You definitely risk lots of troubleshooting going this route if you disable something you shouldn't, and it's more of a trade off really as you lose some functionality. If you don't mind doing that then it's a neat way to free up some of your CPU tho.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the EasyCleaner program Sideeffect posted, or any other software that does something similar. Everything those programs do you can do yourself, and imo those programs are janky anyways, and possibly an arena for spyware.

------------------
music by I/O_Madness

I/O_Madness
Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
Sideffect
Soundwave Mangler
Sideffect is a name known to allSideffect is a name known to allSideffect is a name known to allSideffect is a name known to allSideffect is a name known to allSideffect is a name known to all
Ghent
MC Status: 610

Msconfig is imo dangerous, like you said, you really really have to know what you are doing.
I have been using Easy cleaner for years now, and there is no spyware at all, and it's free software,
+ it back ups what you change/delete, like deleting the register (key's)...
You can go back to your previous config etc...
It's actually a great program imo and doesn't connect to the internet for updates for example or database updates, that's not necessary/how it works......

------------------
Sideffect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #13
crackmontage
raptor badger
crackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MC
sminap MN
MC Status: 434781

MSconfig is not so dangerous for disabling startup items, which tend to be less essential and take up more CPU usage. Obviously if you have some drivers for midi or sound stuff that have important software don't disable that.

As for upgrading your CPU... I am a laptop technician so I happen to know about these things.

After looking into it, you could get some real lifetime out of this laptop if you are technically savvy.

The motherboard you currently have has a shitty CPU, yes, but its a relatively new AMD chipset which is upgradeable to a dual core CPU.
AMD chipsets are a little more tricky to upgrade... Well not really, but I don't know them off the top of my head like Intels. :p

In light of this, IF you are technically savvy, I recommend that you upgrade the motherboard to an Intel chipset rather than try to upgrade the existing AMD platform.
A lot of people would tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, but they can check the facts: The cq62 was released in both Intel and AMD form in the same chassis.

It might seem like a massive undertaking, but if you're considering upgrading the CPU anyway, it wont be more difficult or time consuming to change the motherboard because of the way laptops are built.

Here is the intel motherboard for 65$:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/616448-001-H...item3f2143e8b0

Its a socket P motherboard with the pm45/gm45 chipset - 1066mhz FSB. You don't need new RAM.

The CPUs that will fit it are very cheap and will be WAY ahead of your current processor.
You could simply go with a t6600 and call it a day for under 100$ total:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-2...item460c09bfb0

Some other CPUs that will fit are all of the t8000 and t9000 series as well as all of the P series. The P series will be the highest end with cpus like the p9600 and p9700. But these are no more powerful than the equivalent T series, the t9550 and t9600. t9600 should be a really solid CPU for your uses.

You'd also need this heatsink:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/609229-001-C...item3f1b2835fe

Laptop disassembly is much easier than most people think it is, IMO. As long as you don't get frustrated or force anything.

Last edited by crackmontage; 01-20-2013 at 11:34 PM..

------------------

crackmontage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #14
crackmontage
raptor badger
crackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MC
sminap MN
MC Status: 434781

I should add, when I said you don't need new ram, you definitely do WANT more RAM... 2gb is really pretty low and ddr3 is really cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-2x-4GB-D...item2c5d6a04a0

This should fit and work perfectly (in either motherboard). If you don't do anything else, do this, its extremely easy technically and should be a big improvement.

------------------

crackmontage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #15
RaidenBeats
Fuck 'er Right N Da Pussy
RaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MC
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream
MC Status: 41760
Re: CPU too slow.

get i5 with 8GB ram like me. no problems. ever.

------------------
Im looking for people to collaborate with on artistic projects. I am currently looking for a couple artists who can draw very well that want to work on a comic book
RaidenBeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #16
Dippshoe
cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenBeats View Post
get i5 with 8GB ram like me. no problems. ever.
Dude. There is like 20 different i5's D:

------------------

-Dwight Schrute.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #17
RaidenBeats
Fuck 'er Right N Da Pussy
RaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MC
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream
MC Status: 41760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippshoe View Post
Dude. There is like 20 different i5's D:
i have a cheap 3.50GHz one. still works perfect.

------------------
Im looking for people to collaborate with on artistic projects. I am currently looking for a couple artists who can draw very well that want to work on a comic book
RaidenBeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #18
Dippshoe
cunt

I've got a i5 Lynnfield from 2010. Ableton runs like a charm on it.

------------------

-Dwight Schrute.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:11 AM   #19
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC
Rhode Island
MC Status: 10810

2 gb of ram with a 2.2 ghz processor?

i can see why you max it out so easily, thats the minimum system requirements to just simply run a daw, lol. may want to think of atleast upgrading the computer to something with atleast 4 gb of ram and a better processor. you could just try upgrading the ram in the meantime, not too expensive and it may help a little, but i would definitely put a better computer as a future purchase

------------------
SyMTiK
(~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~(~^.^) ~
Berklee College of Music '21

_Mystik_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #20
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mystik_ View Post
2 gb of ram with a 2.2 ghz processor?

i can see why you max it out so easily, thats the minimum system requirements to just simply run a daw, lol. may want to think of atleast upgrading the computer to something with atleast 4 gb of ram and a better processor. you could just try upgrading the ram in the meantime, not too expensive and it may help a little, but i would definitely put a better computer as a future purchase
not really.

32 bit Windows machines run around that range and run fine.

Advertisements

------------------
music by I/O_Madness

I/O_Madness