[:] Human mind as a biocomputer [:]
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 23-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Sammysong
Master of the LFO
Sammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MC
Bat Country
MC Status: 4046897
[:] Human mind as a biocomputer [:]

In this model, our body-mind is a computer operating system. Much of our thoughts, beliefs, worldviews, perspectives, habits, tendencies and even personality have all been programmed, generally by external influences--parents, society, education, media, ideas of other people.

The key to personal evolution is to take control of your biocomputer, to install your own chosen software and remove that which has become obsolete. Where have your mental programs come from? How do they operate? Can they be upgraded, or removed? When & where did your software come from? Was it downloaded willingly, or programmed into your brain by others?

All theories/beliefs/ideas are mental programs. You have to be careful what you let into your mind. Any program, taken to the extreme, can become a virus. Dogma is the virus. Be aware of your computer. Know your software.

Advertisements

------------------
Sammysong is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
brn20
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802473
Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,191 Posts
Re: Human mind as a biocomputer

I used to imagine the brain worked something like this quite a long time ago, but I realised it wasn't a useful picture or analogy.

The brain-mind-consciousness is far more complicated than a piece of software running on a man-made computer, since as far as I can tell what we might imagine as 'hardware' and 'software' in terms of the brain are essentially inseparable.

It's true, though, that if you want to achieve something like a clarity of thought about something, that attachment to dogma is not the way to go about it.

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Br/ainfu+ked
Savage Mad Cunt
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45963098
Thanked 1,145 Times in 881 Posts

inb4 what is intelligence arguement

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka
NeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MC
Ruins of a fallen empire.
MC Status: 231093978

Why make these threads OP, its not like you want to debate or discuss these topics? Or is the sideroom becoming the sock you use to wipe off your intellectual spuffery?

------------------
NeuralPunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Sammysong
Master of the LFO
Sammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MC
Bat Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralPunk View Post
Why make these threads OP, its not like you want to debate or discuss these topics? Or is the sideroom becoming the sock you use to wipe off your intellectual spuffery?
Haha, no - not trying to be an intellect. Thank you for the kind words, though. I'm merely interested in how the discussion evolves. Also interested in how certain people reply, or reply after no being bothered to read it (e.g. TL;DR) - what's the point? Is there any? Maybe. Maybe not.
Forums are meant for discussion and debates, in any way or another. Some people like to talk about the daily life e.g. what people like to drink, what made them happy, etc. I like to talk about music, religion, spirituality, health and nutrition, etc. If people want to comment and reply on these topics, then by all means, go ahead.

I would like to debate and discuss, but I've come to notice how many don't give a damn, etc. Calling the thread a joke, etc - who would want to reply to that? It's similar to having a debate with a closed-minded Christian, no? This thread is a joke, TL : DR, etc - examples of pure nonsense. Why post, if you don't have anything constructive to say? Of course, each to it's own opinion on the subject of matter, but why question me? I have no problem at all, but it seems to me, that y'all have a problem with my topics.

Cheers!

------------------
Thanks to Sammysong
FunkMasterBrown (23-12-2012)
Old 23-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka
NeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MC
Ruins of a fallen empire.
MC Status: 231093978

I don't have a problem with the topics just how you start a thread, then never reply.

And there have been a fair few attempts to give decent replies to your threads but no answer from you (really, look back through the threads you've started, there are quite a few posts that make genuine attempts to engage you on the topics) so where is the point for us?

If you wish to cover the forums in your opinions be prepared to spend time discussing them. Don't just dump and run and then bemoan the fact that no one lives up to your criteria for worthiness.

------------------
NeuralPunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533730
Thanked 6,856 Times in 4,882 Posts

Personally I don't find the idea all that interesting. You are just using computer terms as replacements for what psychology, sociology and nuerology have already discovered and labeled. I don't see a purpose behind relabeling all this.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Sammysong
Master of the LFO
Bat Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralPunk View Post
I don't have a problem with the topics just how you start a thread, then never reply.

And there have been a fair few attempts to give decent replies to your threads but no answer from you (really, look back through the threads you've started, there are quite a few posts that make genuine attempts to engage you on the topics) so where is the point for us?

If you wish to cover the forums in your opinions be prepared to spend time discussing them. Don't just dump and run and then bemoan the fact that no one lives up to your criteria for worthiness.
Very true, I'll give it some thought. Thanks!

------------------
Old 23-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
brn20
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802473
Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammysong View Post
Very true, I'll give it some thought. Thanks!
So why not respond to what I said in response to your OP?

My objection to the idea was that in a brain, it doesn't make sense to separate 'software' from 'hardware' in the same way it does makes sense to do so with man-made computers.

This is because they are one and the same - or, at least, it's not [yet] possible to separate them in a way where we can point to one or the other. With that in mind, what use is this picture?

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
oly (24-12-2012)
Old 24-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80992580
Thanked 4,047 Times in 2,623 Posts

There's been some models based on a computer analogy in cognitive pschology but I'm not sure it's that "obvious" (software upgrade etc.)
Models based on cybernetics are interesting though
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
DaveCouture
Regular Freak
DaveCouture will become famous soon enoughDaveCouture will become famous soon enough
Montreal
MC Status: 110

I think it's quite true that the human brain is being programmed by outside sources and even when you think you are deciding for yourself (because you're doing something different than most people for example), you are still being programmed from whatever influence shaped you.

I don't think there is such a thing as personal evolution and programming your own self. The closest thing you can do to do is focus your influences someplace for example by hanging out with certain people, choosing certain hobbies, watching / not watching certain types of TV program.

External influences are all around us and it's impossible to protect yourself from it unless you go live by yourself in the forest.
DaveCouture is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

This is starting to sound like my psychology 102 class. Big up.

EDIT: Nature vs Nurture

------------------
Old 24-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
Sencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MC
The Nung River
MC Status: 89278973
Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Nature vs Nurture

Yeah, what about all those fuckin' viruses we get from heritage..? can we send them to the recycle bin?

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by antenna View Post
What is this vile sencesorcery? Be gone with ye, witch!
Sencesor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sencesor View Post
Yeah, what about all those fuckin' viruses we get from heritage..? can we send them to the recycle bin?
Well there really isn't a "human brain recycle bin" so the metaphor/analogy kinda starts to fall apart.

------------------
Thanks to relic
Sencesor (24-12-2012)
Old 24-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
Sencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MC
The Nung River
MC Status: 89278973
Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,169 Posts

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by antenna View Post
What is this vile sencesorcery? Be gone with ye, witch!
Sencesor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #17
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

^Every single one of my students : )

------------------
Old 24-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #18
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941881
Thanked 5,674 Times in 3,576 Posts

What is the deal with these weird pseudo intellectual declaration threads? I'm making one.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
What is the deal with these weird pseudo intellectual declaration threads? I'm making one.

DO IT.

I love all the mental masturbation shit that gets tossed around these forums.

------------------
Thanks to relic
Numerical (06-12-2016)
Old 16-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #20
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

I'd like to see some elaboration on this topic from new members.

Advertisements

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote