What started your techno obsession?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Techno Techno Techno Techno Techno

Old 29-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
nakedlunch
Minor Glitch
nakedlunch is currently spamming hard
Lisbon
MC Status: 10
What started your techno obsession?

When everyone around me was listening to house and breaks the set that got me into techno was Plastikman live in Barcelona, which was around the late 90's! Totally threw me into my obsession with this style of music and made me want to explore more. Sadly I do not have that set anymore but there is one track by the Advent called "In Search" that was from the set, luckily my husband found it for me and it was my favorite track on the set. I can't post the track because I do not have enough post but I highly recommend looking it up on youtube

Advertisements

------------------
nakedlunch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
baldeeee
Granular Poster
baldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MC
Leeds
MC Status: 340102
Re: What started your techno obsession?

Surgeon!

------------------
baldeeee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

Wouldnt say im obsessed but what got me listening to it steady was probably the 2006 miami beach recording of nic fanciulli, james zabiela and richie hawtin. Id been into to dnb for almost 5 years before that, but this set had me hooked and looking for new horizons.
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts

probably tiesto or oakenfold or something. shameful, but it is what it is

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 105850
Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,368 Posts

My buddy when I was like 11 or 12 had a bunch of Chris Sheppard tapes. Pirate Radio Sessions, Techno Trip, 2 Unlimited, Technotronic - Remember it was all called Techno then. That Smart-E's cover of the Sesame Street song, KLF, all that stuff.

We used to make our own mix tapes with our voices dubbed in introducing the songs and saying catchy things - we were going to be huge DJs. On a side note, if you don't have a microphone, you can yell into a set of headphones plugged into the Mic input and it works a bit.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
Nystagmus (11-06-2014)
Old 30-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
VIVIsect
VIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud of
Novi Sad
MC Status: 1215

I dont know really. It was part my older friend, who got me astral projection - dancing galaxy and fasttracker2 with around 8 floppies worth of music. Got a helping hand from a tv show called "Tehnokratija" and found these guys http://www.crsn.com/music/speaker/index.php / http://www.crsn.com/dominator/index.php / http://www.crsn.com/
VIVIsect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
WovenArteries
Regular Freak
WovenArteries is currently spamming hard

Niereich.
WovenArteries is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
Barry Acid
Eternal Echoer
Barry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 77072

Detroit Techno. Then I moved into the other sub genres of it.

------------------
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others
Barry Acid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
Meatbeard
Meatbeard is a savage MCMeatbeard is a savage MCMeatbeard is a savage MCMeatbeard is a savage MCMeatbeard is a savage MCMeatbeard is a savage MCMeatbeard is a savage MCMeatbeard is a savage MCMeatbeard is a savage MCMeatbeard is a savage MCMeatbeard is a savage MC
Ohio
MC Status: 14406

This fella right here.
Meatbeard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Meatbeard
Barry Acid (31-08-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
q(-_-)p
Minor Glitch
q(-_-)p will become famous soon enoughq(-_-)p will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

hearing dave clarke and carl cox mixes on the radio
q(-_-)p is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Slignig
Radial Developer
Slignig will become famous soon enoughSlignig will become famous soon enough
Indianapolis, IN

what i really loved when i was a kid was the more electronic songs on the matrix soundtrack like clubbed to death and spybreak. classic shit haha, also the prodigy was a favorite of mine. Theyre more big beat but i still consider them to help me find a love for techno.

------------------
Slignig is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

This, and I shit you not:
opened up a whole new magical world of music for me.
Also, like how many techno remixes of this have been made, about a million?

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #13
niksah
Digital Surfer
niksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MC
San Francisco
MC Status: 9509953

I was 13, some friends of mine invited me to come along to a party that ended up being a rave in a barn about 30 minutes out of town. I don't remember the lineup, but I think it was mostly local or regional DJs. My mind was blown and I was totally hooked on the music. That was 23 years ago, still haven't gotten it out of my system.
niksah is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #14
DandyDakota
Minor Glitch
DandyDakota is currently spamming hard

Back when I was about 13-14, in a world of generic mainstream music, one techno track I heard on a CD of "remixes" that came with a video game I got caught my ear. It was after this I gradually began to realise I loved the combination of spacey synths with tough beats. This was in comparison to rock and jazz, which seemed really samey in comparison to what I was suddenly hearing now - always harsh guitar, the same kind of drums... plus it sounded so human, this was organic and totally non-human. I liked how simple, normal people like me were trying to make something out of this world, with the uses of production bending technology and acidic sounds it may as well have been aliens in the studio.

My mum listened to a lot of techno and house music, so as I started to pay attention to it I began to borrow her compilations, and was blown away by some of the '90s stuff I found. From there I found favourite artists and labels, and my love of it kept growing and expanding into other genres. But basically, I just love the associations with space (and spacing out), and the calmness with aggression, that comes with a lot of techno music... takes you to another world! Sadly, a lot more modern tunes tend to just steer in the directions of either fully mellow and repetitive, or fully tough and soulless IMO, I prefer a mix.
DandyDakota is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
Berbarob
Regular Freak
Berbarob will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Last year's autumn, I guess, when I saw Dave Clarke play at Amsterdam Dance Event and only a month later experienced wizard Jeff Mills and dutch techno pride speedy j blowing off the roof of the Westergasfabriek at Awakenings.

Have been hooked ever since
Berbarob is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
nakedlunch
Minor Glitch
nakedlunch is currently spamming hard
Lisbon

Amazing stories! Although I think Broton42 was the funniest answer for sure

------------------
nakedlunch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #17
Elvio Neto
Granular Poster
Elvio Neto will become famous soon enoughElvio Neto will become famous soon enough

i started to like techno in south of Portugal in 1994 , great techno events at the time

A.paul , Francisco Ferreira (The Advent) , XL garcia , michaelangelo , Ze Mig L , DJ Vibe

great times....

arround 1997 exploded the big Portuguese events like NEPTUNUS , TECHNOLANDIA and many more and once again with the best Portuguese producers/djs i already writed

im really depressed to see that the good old techno is over... music now is getting boring... looks like clicks and pops (minimal techno) or a hard loop playing all night (hard techno) , the main techno is almoust extinct

nice topic Sandra

cheers
Elvio Neto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #18
ZooTopian
Minor Glitch
ZooTopian will become famous soon enoughZooTopian will become famous soon enough

It was probably a search for more Autechre-like hiphop influenced electronica. I picked up some early Cristian Vogel and Neil Landstrumm EPs and was away. I never really found that much electronica with hiphop roots around that time, but I definitely picked up some crazy techno tracks.

It helped that the local record shop-keeper knew Surgeon so had all of the early Downwards Surgeon/Regis/Female stuff .
ZooTopian is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #19
lorez
Regular Freak
lorez is currently spamming hard
Bristol

First post, and i tried to link to Rhythm Is Rhythm Strings Of Life but the forum wouldn't let me. this is one of the first things that turned me from my chicago fixation to a detroit persuasion and I guess in to what we now call techno but given what I knew as music beforehand there were a lot of avenues leading towards what became techno
lorez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #20
Josh61092
Microknight
Josh61092 has a spectacular aura aboutJosh61092 has a spectacular aura aboutJosh61092 has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Advertisements

Josh61092 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote