Sine Wave Wave Shaper
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 27-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6660
Sine Wave Wave Shaper

Just out of interest, can someone explain to me what a sine wave waveshaper actually does? I know what it does to sound, but I went looking for it a while back, but never really found a satisfactory answer.

They are great for making weird blippy techno sounds incidentally...

Are there any other waveshaping effects that are worth discussing?

Advertisements

TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541177
Thanked 2,059 Times in 1,319 Posts
Re: Sine Wave Wave Shaper

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

try summing that up... haha.

try Smart Electronics Cyanide 2. Its pretty great and FREE. Pre and Post filters for the waveshaping I/O. Its a go to for me for heavy percussion.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18027819

the very much simplified way of explaining it is that it smooths out the peaks of the wave.
it does depend on the settings of the shaper and the wave going in to it though.

if you look at a waveshaper with a spline graph it is easier to explain. this one isnt a sine, in fact it will do nothing to the sound, but ill use it as an example:

the X axis is the signal gain going in and the Y axis is the signal coming out. so when the audio going in is at +1 (X=+1), if that point on the graph is at +0.5 on the Y axis then any signal hitting +1 will come out the other side at +0.5.
now if you imagine a sine shape on there (which would look how the below GIF starts, sorry it was the best i could find), you would be adding a small amount of gain at +/-0.5 and none (practically) at 0 or +/-1, with a smooth curve between those points. make sense?

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Parricide
TL072 (05-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

i explained waveshapers much better in this thread:

------------------
signature loading...
Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
i explained waveshapers much better in this thread:

This explanation and other thread cleared it up, should have done a more thorough search of the board. I now see how they introduce extra harmonics and so on. I suppose it is also a transfer function, but playing with value curves in photoshop comes to mind as an analogy. Thanks!
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL072 View Post
This explanation and other thread cleared it up, should have done a more thorough search of the board. I now see how they introduce extra harmonics and so on. I suppose it is also a transfer function, but playing with value curves in photoshop comes to mind as an analogy. Thanks!
its actually exactly the same math as the curves in photoshop

------------------
signature loading...
Old 05-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Voyac
Soundwave Mangler
Voyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MC
Gdynia
MC Status: 3587899

Quote:
transfer function
yeah... but the point is, waveshaper is nonlinear.

Some kind of waveshaping u can get when the signal inputing Amp is too high, and the high/low values of sine are just flattened. Just some distortion.

Advertisements

Voyac is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote