Software for Ambient music
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 27-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
DFBHDTS
Learning The Ropes
DFBHDTS is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Software for Ambient music

Hi all,

I am sure you have all heard this hundreds of times but I'll ask it anyway! I am quite a good musician and have been for a long time however I am interested in playing around with some ambient style music. I'm talking Michael Mcann (Deus Ex HR, Splinter Cell) style atmospheric stuff. I know I can do it I would just like to know what sort of software is best to use? The only one I have used before is Cubase. What sort of equipment will I need? Just a MIDI keyboard, software and connections to plug into my laptop? I'm only experimenting for my own good at the moment.

Any help would be greately appreciated. I created this thread to see if anyone knows the best software for a very particular style of ambient/atmospheric music. If you have no idea who Michael Mcann is I have a great youtube link here that shows you the sort of music I would love to compose.

Cheers!

Chris

Advertisements

DFBHDTS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
DWNGRD
Regular Freak
DWNGRD is currently spamming hard
Re: Software for Ambient music

For the little ambient stuff I have in my music, I take some instrumentation, use Adobe Soundbooth CS3 to tweak it so it sounds like an ambient pad. As for software, I'm really new to this whole thing (and incredibly poor, and I'm only 16.), so I just use LMMS to make sounds. Sorry I can't' help too much, but hope it's at least something.
DWNGRD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
Winterbound
Learning The Ropes
Winterbound is currently spamming hard
Armagh

You can use various means, but ultimately it comes down to personal style and such. What you hope to achieve. You could use Absynth, which is really good for making evolving dark ambient pads and soundscapes - or you can flip it to Camel Audio's Alchemy which is good for your more Lighter, classic Ambient sounds.

Really this is a question that only you can answer yourself, it is how you are able to programme a synth and create sounds - and how you are able to process those sounds and such like.

Goodluck.
Winterbound.
Winterbound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
DFBHDTS
Learning The Ropes
DFBHDTS is currently spamming hard

Thank you for the replays. I will give absynth a go I think.
DFBHDTS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12852160

Absynth is good also get a decent convolution reverb and a decent effected reverb ("reflektor" is awesome imho) with an "Ice" or "grain" setting.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
SampleScienc
Knob Twiddler
SampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond repute
Canada
MC Status: 3060

I would go with Spectrasonics Omnisphere, which includes the Atmosphere ambient sound library. This is basically the professional, top-notch you hear in all those games & films soundtracks: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
SampleScienc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
Syv2 Un1
Minor Glitch
Syv2 Un1 has a brilliant futureSyv2 Un1 has a brilliant futureSyv2 Un1 has a brilliant futureSyv2 Un1 has a brilliant futureSyv2 Un1 has a brilliant futureSyv2 Un1 has a brilliant futureSyv2 Un1 has a brilliant futureSyv2 Un1 has a brilliant futureSyv2 Un1 has a brilliant futureSyv2 Un1 has a brilliant futureSyv2 Un1 has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1585

Albino 3
ES2
Absynth
Massive
FM8
Syv2 Un1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
MeshNation
MeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MC
Edinburgh
MC Status: 129798497

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Actually, all the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
plugins, particularly if you're into generative/algorithmic music
Magnus' [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
reverb

Also, what DAW are you using? Setting up a group of clips with follow actions in Live, or controlled by a grid controller like a [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
is a lot of fun, set up some faders and knobs to control effects sends, reverb decay time etc and you're golden. If you're not using a DAW yet, get hold of [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
to record/edit some samples, and play them back in [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
with a grid controller. Great way to pass the time.

------------------
MeshNation is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

For that kind of soundtrack/symphonic stuff, what you really want are large libraries of samples and sounds with a focus on ethnic instruments and percussion.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
TxH003
Regular Freak
TxH003 has a spectacular aura aboutTxH003 has a spectacular aura about
Michigan
MC Status: 165

In regards to VST instruments, Camel Audio's Alchemy is excellent for ambient-type music.

LinPlug's CronoX 3, with the Sophistry sound expansion, is another option worth exploring.

Last edited by TxH003; 08-02-2012 at 07:24 AM..
TxH003 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #11
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL
MC Status: 4315538

Synplant. I enjoyed the demo thoroughly.

Advertisements

------------------
YoMyEX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote