Mixers for live performance - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 14-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #21
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts
Re: Mixers for live performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
well thats the thing, sounds like he is.

mixer with direct outs or subgroup outs will allow for a LOT more flexibility than routing everything to interface IO.

those midas boards are the real deal, loads of IO.
Ah. Yea, that makes sense. Coffee, round two.

Sub groups are really something to consider. Very useful.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 05:52 PM   #22
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080264
Thanked 1,232 Times in 832 Posts

i love behringers

also, keep it symmetric and/or bring di boxes, you have no clue into what you have to plug in

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #23
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 15460

What does symmetric mean in that context ? :3

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #24
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080264
Thanked 1,232 Times in 832 Posts

xlr, basically

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ab
Chozo Tull (14-09-2016)
Old 14-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #25
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 63110
Thanked 1,262 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Let me know if you want to get into some of the specifics, I've got a lot of experience building customized recording setups. BONUS: this is a forum so you dont get charged my consulting rate.... yet.

Also, Summing mixers are a different beast all together. They are made with high end components and Voodoo.
Thanks bunch! First I gotta absorb the recent gear spend, so not likely in the very near future that I'd go that route.

What I am thinking is this: I'd like the ability to use the multiple outs from the Tempest and Elektron boxes more effectively. I'd also like dedicated send to the currently three FX pedals so that I can route signals as I please into them.
For recording, well, if I like to have the comforts of ITB FX and processing, there's no way to avoid running several takes. Might be able to reduce the number of takes, but it won't be zero.

and, re summing mixers, I'm wondering about the ratio of high end to voodoo (10:90?)

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #26
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32360

Quote:
well thats the thing, sounds like he is.

mixer with direct outs or subgroup outs will allow for a LOT more flexibility than routing everything to interface IO.

those midas boards are the real deal, loads of IO.
Can I ask a few questions too?
Current setup: octatrack as master with stereo MPC outs into input C and D and iPad stereo outs into inputs A and B.
Looking to possibly add in the future: analog 4 and small mixer.
Looking to be able to send audio to auxes for delay and maybe modulation effect. As well I might like to be able to send things to a delay and be able to route it back into itself for some madness.
Also maybe a way to get some parallel distortion on drums.
I would like to be able to mixe the main and cue outs of the octatrack, as well as another stereo out of the MPC and possibly the iPad (so a total of 4 stereo outs). Also maybe the ability to setup recording outs to the interface.
So what mixer would be good for tons of stereo ins and sends and returns?
Would something like one of those little digital things that are controlled by the iPad be good?
The reason I ask is because I would like the ability to setup custom routing and I might like to still be able to use an amp sim inside the iPad.

Sorry for the long winded derail, and thanks if anyone has any ideas to help me out.
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 10:59 PM   #27
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541127
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,318 Posts

I have some ideas for you, but alas, thats a lot of ground to cover.

for one i would NOT get one of those little digital mixers w Ipad for control. I'd get something like an Allen and Heath Mixwizard. Loads of sends, loads of channels and a stereo subgroup (and direct outs on the channels to boot)

:edit: BALLS. the new mixwizards dont have the stereo subgroup, BUT do have a direct out on every channel.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
jbvdb493 (15-09-2016)
Old 14-09-2016, 11:03 PM   #28
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

drooooool....

:edit: ALSO, sorry to completely derail this thread. While these mixers can be used for live performance they're likely overkill for what the OP was looking for.

------------------
Old 14-09-2016, 11:58 PM   #29
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 15460

I basically got what I needed, so very happy to see other people using this as a question space

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 05:39 AM   #30
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 26660

re: summing mixers: Airwindows Console 4. I haven't used hardware mixers, so I won't compare the sound. As I understand, it's made to emulate hardware summing mixers ITB and, if I'm not mistaken, the programmer bought an actual console to model it off of. The developer demos don't do it justice IMO, it's worth downloading (for the low price of free) and messing around with it for a bit to see if it makes a difference for you.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 05:58 AM   #31
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

Satson mixbus is supposed to be quite nice. I used to have all the slate stuff as well. ..but it might be snake oil...my ears arent smart enough to know.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 01:39 AM   #32
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

What's the difference on a mixer between main out and monitor out? Any insight?
Old 19-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #33
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
What's the difference on a mixer between main out and monitor out? Any insight?

Main and monitor out are separate because in an "oldschool" studio, you would use the Monitor outs to feed your... monitors and the main to feed your master recorder (think DAT machine, 2 Channel reel ro reel recorder etc).

The idea is to have the main's gain staged to have the best vol/headroom and then you have a attenuator for your monitor out with the "control room out" knob.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
jbvdb493 (19-09-2016)
Old 19-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #34
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 29660

For price to performance ratio I think soundcraft is one of the best. I picked up an older 16 channel mixer with 3 band eq (sweepable mids), and 2 effect sends for 200 bucks. The eqs are fantastic. I also recommend making sure to get a mixed with sliders instead of knobs for the the volume.

Also, for live stuff, 2 laptops through a dj mixer can be really cool!

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #35
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Main and monitor out are separate because in an "oldschool" studio, you would use the Monitor outs to feed your... monitors and the main to feed your master recorder (think DAT machine, 2 Channel reel ro reel recorder etc).

The idea is to have the main's gain staged to have the best vol/headroom and then you have a attenuator for your monitor out with the "control room out" knob.
excellent thanks! and for more "modern" studios, one could be used for monitors and the other to feed an interface I assume?
Old 19-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #36
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
excellent thanks! and for more "modern" studios, one could be used for monitors and the other to feed an interface I assume?

Yes, but be careful not to create unintentional feedback loops.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
jbvdb493 (19-09-2016)
Old 26-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #37
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269476158
Thanked 3,051 Times in 2,023 Posts

Ok mixerheads who can clarify for me the difference between AUX and SUB GROUPS?

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #38
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

In my mind AUX equals FX sends
Sub groups equals like a bus (drum bus or whatever)
At least thats my understandidng
Thanks to jbvdb493
chasedobson (26-09-2016)
Old 26-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #39
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

yeah what jbvdb said.

------------------
Old 26-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #40
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269476158
Thanked 3,051 Times in 2,023 Posts

Does a bus usually remove it from the master?

I have a mixer with sends only, which I use to send sounds to the OT but I have to be careful not to create feedbacks, so would a mixer with buses help with this?

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote