Software to produce music
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 27-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
kinah
Learning The Ropes
kinah is currently spamming hard
Toulon
MC Status: 10
Software to produce music

I'm begining in electro production and I want to know :

What software do you use to produce your songs ? What is the "best" software ?

Advertisements

kinah is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts
Re: Software to produce music

1.) Find something for free [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
2.) Wait for [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
to come out and be an early adopter. It's going to be the "best" DAW ever .

Else Ableton or FL Studio would be good to demo.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390048
Thanked 2,832 Times in 1,764 Posts

And Scyn knows (and a few others) that I'm going to say that "the best DAW is the one you pick/buy and learn through and through".

DAW stands for Digital Audio Workstation.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
kinah
Learning The Ropes
kinah is currently spamming hard
Toulon

Thanks !

Actually, i try to use Logic Pro. What do you think about this software ?
kinah is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 109400
Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,403 Posts

Logic is fine too. Some people really enjoy it.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8552680
Thanked 7,235 Times in 5,121 Posts

Nothing wrong with Logic, seems like a solid DAW. I used it a bit trying to teach a friend about production.

There is also:
Reaper
Cubase
Personous Studio One
MuTools
Reason

...and I'm sure I'm missing a few

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Goolue
Digital Surfer
Goolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud of
Isn't built out of Humus.
MC Status: 1060

Like Evelon said, there's no such thing as "best DAW". Each one has its ups and downs. I started out with Reason and I think that, for learning its very good. You can just look at things and understand them because you can follow the cables and everything is very visual. Now days I mostly use Ableton Live because you can use plugins in it and it has very good audio manipulation abilities. But I also use Reason for its synths and samplers and stuff.

------------------
My Soundcloud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
i always felt if Thom Yorke was a food item he would be a noodle
Goolue is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
harpeer
Regular Freak
harpeer is currently spamming hard

You need: mixing, mastering, premastering MIDI composition and generative tools.

Is any one DAW mentioned perfect for you in all the phases of production? I don't know, but would not bet on it.

I mean with the specialized composer standalones that have been in development since the 90's, that can connect to these audio hosts, you should take a look at those too, at hitsquad.com.

Last edited by harpeer; 28-02-2013 at 12:52 AM..
harpeer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 03:38 AM   #9
Tsachi
i don't understand
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 10810

Probably bitwig because it's pretty much Ableton but all new and shit
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #10
I Am Me
Analog Lurker
I Am Me is currently spamming hard

when does bitwig come out? and what makes it better then ableton/cubase ..? any idea how much bitwig will cost?
I Am Me is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

Logic pro is great for a number of reasons, you get to start off with a shitload of sounds and presets, like 10 different synths, a drum sequencer and a sampler, plus enough FX to make literally anything you could ever want.

The ONLY real gripe I have with it is that working with MIDI (beyond just inputting notes from a MIDI keyboard), is awkward and inefficient, especially because AUs can't output MIDI. There are workarounds, but its not great.

If you have Logic and you like it, stick with it. Its a great piece of software.
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #12
Dippshoe
cunt
Dippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MC
In an abandoned cave covered by mist in the depths of Jotunheimen.
MC Status: 12810

I were to chose Ableton when I started out, and I never looked back.

It's a great DAW, I've never encountered any limitations with it, and it always suprises me with new techniques and workflow abilities.

Tho, I can not compare it with any other DAW's, as I've never used another.

------------------

'Don't be an idiot.' Changed my life.
-Dwight Schrute.
Dippshoe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
Space Cowboy
Minor Glitch
Space Cowboy is currently spamming hard

In order to continue the "different answerer, different answer" theme going here, I'd recommend you take a look at Ableton Live (The demo is free, download it from ableton.com).
Space Cowboy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 190560
Thanked 3,811 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Me View Post
when does bitwig come out? and what makes it better then ableton/cubase ..? any idea how much bitwig will cost?
I don't think anyone can really answer that at this stage..all I know is they are still in beta testing phase..so god only knows how long it will be before it hits the market.

Still, I hope they will offer it a low price to start, rather than launching it up there in the same area, price-wise, as the current big boys.

Guess we can all dream.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
jasondasilva
Granular Poster
jasondasilva will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I say try the demos of each DAW see which one you like the layout of and then put in the hardwork and learn the DAW! Im using logic over albeton becasue I prefer Logics layout but other people like abletons layout more then logics, its all about to personal choice.
jasondasilva is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #16
Dippshoe
cunt
Dippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MC
In an abandoned cave covered by mist in the depths of Jotunheimen.
MC Status: 12810

ableton is best, fl is for amateurs

No seriously. It's just like picking a car. Both cars will get you form A to B, but the ride may differ.

------------------

'Don't be an idiot.' Changed my life.
-Dwight Schrute.
Dippshoe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #17
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269470708
Thanked 2,942 Times in 1,948 Posts

There's no software to make music, you need gear and a 4 tracks tascam to record straight on tape.
Computers are the spawn of the devil.

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #18
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

I'd start with fruity if I were you. Its got good layout and good stock stuff.

good automation triggers.

All you need for electro
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #19
NaturalDissolve
Knob Twiddler
NaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

I use sonar, I'm trying to move to ipad and maybe pro tools. There really isn't a "best" software. Music can be made and/or recorded in any software. Course some are more tailored to certain types of music. I use sonar, but I wouldn't say it's great for a beginner to make electronic music. You might also consider getting something like maschine or mpc studio and plugging it into any major daw. Think about how you want to make music and find something that is right for you and something that inspires you to create something as original as possible.
NaturalDissolve is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:21 AM   #20
hotwatermusic
Soundscaper
hotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2210

For a beginner i would suggest two options, Ableton 'cause it is full of tutorials about anything and Studio One 'cause it is the most intuitive and quick workflow. But any DAW does the job, you can select one by the logo if you want.

Advertisements

hotwatermusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote