Odd MIDI effects using Maschine - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 20-06-2016, 10:12 PM   #21
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 30810
Re: Odd MIDI effects using Maschine

And I think midi has 10ms delay so its recommended to only daisy chain 2 or 3 devices IIRC

Advertisements

jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
liquid_air (20-06-2016)
Old 21-06-2016, 12:56 AM   #22
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1540077
Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,303 Posts

Disregard SMPTE. Its not applicable here. Its for syncrnonization of say, a tape machine, or a video rig.

Word clock is required for sample accurate sync between digital audio devices, again not applicable. So if you, say had your MOTU and another device connected via ADAT or SPDIF (and for some reason they couldn't clock via the ADAT or SPDIF cables) you would use a BNC cable between devices to ensure that during playback or during recording the Samples are captured and or played back at the same time.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
liquid_air (21-06-2016)
Old 21-06-2016, 12:59 AM   #23
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

ALSO

Midi clock and Word Clock are 2 different things. Midi clock is sync data for... er, MIDI and Word Clock is for digital audio. I know it can get confusing but knowing when you are speaking about which is important, especially because the MOTU can generate both Word and MIDI clock when applicable

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
liquid_air (21-06-2016)
Old 21-06-2016, 01:05 AM   #24
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

also, i jumped in too soon and some of these things were covered. Landed in London at 8:30, didnt get through customs until almost 11, had a few drinks and im wiped the fuck out.

ok TMI.

I can chime in here on how this needs to be configured but the way the Maschine app handles incoming midi is a mystery (as i dont have one of these things). The rest of it is really NBD.

------------------
Old 21-06-2016, 01:18 AM   #25
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8552630
Thanked 7,234 Times in 5,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
MBP > thunderbolt > 828x (no sync required)
MBP > USB 1 > Maschine
MBP > USB 2 > A4
828x > Midi 5 pin > tempest midi in (for sync)
Keyboard midi out > Maschine midi in
Should keep everything separate, see if that works
Actually just try this before you listen to my rambling

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
liquid_air (21-06-2016)
Old 21-06-2016, 02:18 AM   #26
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 58510
Thanked 1,170 Times in 861 Posts

So the whole thing remains odd. Re the MOTU, I don't see any MIDI clock that would correspond to my host app Maschine (DriverN?). The rest are obvious non-starters, as they are any of the ones dobs clarified or devices I know and that aren't the one I need. I just can't figure out what setting to chose for the clock to run the 828x in slave mode because there isn't a Core Audio choice that the manual speaks of.

I also disconnected all MIDI (so except the Tempest MIDI to MOTU the whole setup jbv suggested) and was unable to send MIDI signal to the A4. That is, the tempo could be synced and I could play notes, but I couldn't get it to start playing from Maschine. I checked that MIDI out in Maschine had the MOTU, Tempest, and A4 as destinations and the A4 and Tempest were set to slave mode with either USB MIDI in or both 5-pole and USB can receive MIDI. It wouldn't start, but I was able to send notes to the A4. So, partial success? It seems odd then that I couldn't have it play back by hitting play in Maschine.

Tempest was non-responsive. So, even though it was set to USB MIDI in, no such luck.

Again, adding back the 5-pole connectors made everything run fine (didn't turn on the S61).

----- thinking----

So, could it be that I need to add a MIDI signal into the piano roll to trigger patterns? If that's the case I feel pretty dumb right now, as there simply wasn't any note there.

Since I'm already digging myself a hole here, there wouldn't anyone be around that could kindly let me know how to send a pattern change signal to the A4 or Tempest. The former says in the manual to send via channel 16, only that I never got it to do that. I'm sure I am missing some setting somewhere. And the Tempest manual seems awfully quiet on the matter. I found the Pad mapping, but not patterns. Do I simply set it to 16 patterns and trigger pads? Is it that simple?

Last edited by liquid_air; 21-06-2016 at 02:33 AM..

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 03:21 AM   #27
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

It seems that I got it to work - somehow.

Going through the knowledge base on the NI support forum they do specifically outline MIDI setup using Maschine. Oddly enough they use a free app called MIDI patch bay, routing the virtual MIDI output from Studio to its MIDI port 1. The latter is a 5 pole. I inferred from this that Maschine isn't set up to send MIDI via USB. Connecting Studio out to A4 and daisy chaining the Tempest works fine and it's all neatly MIDI mapped.
As for the Kontrol S61, well, I played around with the MIDI settings, added an instance each for the hardware synths, and then carefully went through the MIDI input settings for each of these instances in the Maschine 2 software. It's all a bit like voodoo to me, but in the end it seemed to work. With the S61 on. I am still expecting something weird to happen at one point (next time I power up, maybe?).

I have no clue why the MIDI patch bay would be necessary, as I found it all to be working equally well with or without it running.

Next step is adding the Octatrack en route.

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
relic (22-06-2016)
Old 22-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #28
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
I have no clue why the MIDI patch bay would be necessary, as I found it all to be working equally well with or without it running.
Annoying but it makes sense. If Maschine isnt setup to send MIDI over USB the patchbay "picks it off" and re-routes it to an available port.

Also, re-reading you posts, and as a FYI, the MOTU will not have settings for midi clock natively, you'll need to set up midi clock preferences in your DAW or in Maschine if you are using it standalone.

Glad you've made some progress, eventually all the bits will become intuitive and these sort of headaches will be a thing of the past. I've definitely had some "IM GOING TO SET THIS WHOLE RIG ON FIRE" moments before.

------------------
Old 22-06-2016, 09:35 AM   #29
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

What makes it harder for me is that I'm not sure about things. Being new to it and all. That and shitty/incomplete manuals.

Wouldn't it be nice if TFM would actually say whether the USB is intended to send MIDI from Maschine or not?

------------------

Old 22-06-2016, 01:15 PM   #30
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

Yeah, that's annoying.

------------------
Old 22-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #31
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8552630
Thanked 7,234 Times in 5,121 Posts

You see? I told you the pound your head against the desk and change settings until it works method is solid ;p Really glad you sorted it. This victories are serious confidence boosters.

In what way do you ask if Maschine sends MIDI over USB? It sends MIDI from the controller to software over USB. You can also use it to sequence hardware "over USB" as in that is how it is connected to your computer, then your audio/midi interface sends the MIDI to your hardware.

I've had Maschine a long time used it kind of like you are trying to quite a bit. Just thought maybe I can offer some more insight here.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote