Drum Machine Help/Lust - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:29 PM   #21
baldeeee
Granular Poster
baldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MC
Leeds
MC Status: 340102
Re: Drum Machine Help/Lust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
This one?

Hahaha WOW! I wasn't expecting that!

Advertisements

------------------
baldeeee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #22
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12852160

If you want to go proper old school but cheap and fun there is always the Korg ER1?

I have a RYTM and an Electribe 2 and I still keep my ER1 plaugged in for its sheer "bleepiness"

Couple of examples of it in use..

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:57 AM   #23
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
This one?

hmm. well put haha. *scratches wolf of possible gear list.

Man, after watching those vids, that thing sounds like a piece of shit and is super limited. Not in a good way either. Like a waste of money limited.

Last edited by vashima; 06-10-2015 at 04:07 AM..
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #24
2oo3
Radial Developer
2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future
Mechelen
MC Status: 1510

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
Thanks! I actually own a tr-8 and an original 808. The 808 was a lucky find in my step fathers garage. I use the tr-8, but for me its more about how far can I go in this machine and create something while it being immersive at the same time. I'm leaning to the tempest now because people are saying the elektron can feel limiting at times as where the tempest is like a drum synth. The tr-8 to me feels limiting to be honest I feel like it could have been more. Yeah I was thinking what if I get neither and just upgrade to maschine studio lol. Save money, and time on the learning curve. I really wish the tempest was a bit cheaper though I don't need it to be a dsi synth as I already have a prophet so I don't need the tempest to be a synth.
Tempest is superfun. I hope you realize there are still some bugs present. DSI pretty much abandond it. I don't have a problem with the remaining bugs, as I'll try to work around it, but lot of owners are not pleased at all. That said, good news from Roger Linn. He has been contacted by a tempest owner, and both are working together now to fix the remaining bugs.

I hope I didn't put you off, but as you mentioned almost $2000, is a lot of cash. And, most people expect, something flaweless for that price.
:snob:
Like you're tunes, btw
2oo3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #25
lrn5043
Regular Freak
lrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the rough
State College, PA
MC Status: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashima View Post
anyone use the Akai Wolf? Looks pretty fun/affordable/intuitive. I need to look into it a little more.
I have had an Akai Rhythm Wolf for about a year and a half and still have yet to really see its usefulness. I think the kick is great, but other than that, it's kind of a bust. The other sounds are a bit cheesy and have very little room to be tweaked. I could see it being good for DnB and gritty house type stuff, especially with the bass synth it has. But I'd say overall it's not worth it.

It can input/output CV and MIDI, so I think it may flourish as a drum unit in a modular system after layering effects after it and triggering other stuff. But I have yet to really try that.

Last edited by lrn5043; 12-05-2016 at 02:23 PM..
lrn5043 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lrn5043
relic (12-05-2016)
Old 29-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #26
tabache
Learning The Ropes
tabache is currently spamming hard
Bologna
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikighost View Post
I have a RYTM and an Electribe 2
hi, I'm searching to understand main differences between RYTM and Electribe 2 sampler. What do you think?

Can "Electribe 2 sampler" compete with "Elektron RYTM"?
tabache is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 04:34 PM   #27
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 58560
Thanked 1,171 Times in 862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oo3 View Post
Tempest is superfun. I hope you realize there are still some bugs present. DSI pretty much abandond it. I don't have a problem with the remaining bugs, as I'll try to work around it, but lot of owners are not pleased at all. That said, good news from Roger Linn. He has been contacted by a tempest owner, and both are working together now to fix the remaining bugs.

I hope I didn't put you off, but as you mentioned almost $2000, is a lot of cash. And, most people expect, something flaweless for that price.
:snob:
Like you're tunes, btw
I'm about to buy a Tempest (used). I like what I heard in the demos on YouTube, but there are some here and elsewhere that really have a beef about it. Would you buy it again? If so, why. And since you're not in the I-hate-it-gonna-get-rid-of-it-now camp, what would you consider its main limitations for studio production purposes. I'd use it to complement a Maschine setup, thinking it should make for some nice percussive mayhem.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #28
2oo3
Radial Developer
2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future
Mechelen

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
I'm about to buy a Tempest (used). I like what I heard in the demos on YouTube, but there are some here and elsewhere that really have a beef about it. Would you buy it again? If so, why. And since you're not in the I-hate-it-gonna-get-rid-of-it-now camp, what would you consider its main limitations for studio production purposes. I'd use it to complement a Maschine setup, thinking it should make for some nice percussive mayhem.
I'll buy one, without hesitation, once mine is broke and beyond repair. I decided a few weeks ago, that once they'll announce production stop on the tempest, i'll buy a spare. And why? The "hands on" for one, those seperate 6 stereo outputs, drumpads feel right. And it's a unique drum machine, no fixed sounds, you have all your osc, env filter lfo, and you build from scratch, wich has pushed me in sound design. Oh and double unique: it's Dave and Roger who concieved this marvel. Can It be any more legendary?

I don't know anything about Mashine so I can't help you there. And to be frank, I haven't even tried or used it in a computer DAW relationship. I think you might adress this on the DSI forum. But I think it' doesn't integrate well if you want to automate midi with your DAW. But I again, I don't know.

To be fair, I'm not a great sound designer (definetly not drumsounds), and I'm a big DSI fanboy. So me pushing you, to buy one, might be out of place. But, still you can't argue it's quality and if you put effort in it, I'm convinced you'll have quality drums or percussion or pads or bass or.......
The "incomplete OS" is bullshit nowadays. For shure, they could have waited a few months for the release, till they had there shit together. Some software spec's, they laid out in the beginning, will probably never come. But the remaining few bugs will soon be resolved, maybe in a month or so(Roger took over with another tempest user), and lot's of other options have been added so far.

So for what it's worth, buy one

------------------
I don't have to be right, I just have to provoke your thoughts
Thanks to 2oo3
liquid_air (29-05-2016)
Old 31-05-2016, 06:44 AM   #29
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 18510

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrn5043 View Post
I have had an Akai Rhythm Wolf for about a year and a half and still have yet to really see its usefulness. I think the kick is great, but other than that, it's kind of a bust. The other sounds are a bit cheesy and have very little room to be tweaked. I could see it being good for DnB and gritty house type stuff, especially with the bass synth it has. But I'd say overall it's not worth it.

It can input/output CV and MIDI, so I think it may flourish as a drum unit in a modular system after layering effects after it and triggering other stuff. But I have yet to really try that.
The Rhythm Wolf can work with CV/Gate? Don't think so
Btw the Akai Tom Cat makes much more sense as a budget Drummie imho! Sounds pretty good, fun capable little sequencer, although no single outs as well, Open/Close Hats share Decay (so no short Closed Hat with a long Open Hat) and Distortion only on the Master Bus.
Its fun nevertheless!

Last edited by Schnork; 31-05-2016 at 06:50 AM..
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #30
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oo3 View Post
I'll buy one, without hesitation, once mine is broke and beyond repair. I decided a few weeks ago, that once they'll announce production stop on the tempest, i'll buy a spare. And why? The "hands on" for one, those seperate 6 stereo outputs, drumpads feel right. And it's a unique drum machine, no fixed sounds, you have all your osc, env filter lfo, and you build from scratch, wich has pushed me in sound design. Oh and double unique: it's Dave and Roger who concieved this marvel. Can It be any more legendary?

I don't know anything about Mashine so I can't help you there. And to be frank, I haven't even tried or used it in a computer DAW relationship. I think you might adress this on the DSI forum. But I think it' doesn't integrate well if you want to automate midi with your DAW. But I again, I don't know.

To be fair, I'm not a great sound designer (definetly not drumsounds), and I'm a big DSI fanboy. So me pushing you, to buy one, might be out of place. But, still you can't argue it's quality and if you put effort in it, I'm convinced you'll have quality drums or percussion or pads or bass or.......
The "incomplete OS" is bullshit nowadays. For shure, they could have waited a few months for the release, till they had there shit together. Some software spec's, they laid out in the beginning, will probably never come. But the remaining few bugs will soon be resolved, maybe in a month or so(Roger took over with another tempest user), and lot's of other options have been added so far.

So for what it's worth, buy one
I just snagged one on eBay. Should be fun...

------------------

Old 11-06-2016, 02:00 AM   #31
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

I'm happy to report that the Tempest and A4 are all up and running via the MOTU 828x I ended up with. Now that I can finally listen to the Tempest on my monitors proper I wanted to respond to an earlier post about all kicks sounding like a fart with no low end. Whoever said that: you're dead wrong and/or you need to learn how to use it properly. The kicks I've been putting together in the meantime using the sine 133 sound as a sub bass layer are wicked. And I've not even put any FX on them. Clicky envelopes? Nope, but they're fast, as this is a DRUM machine.

It's also almost mapped to Maschine. Next hurdle will be recording to audio in Logic.

So far, the journey into hardware has been fairly pleasant.

There was that pair of cables that wasn't all the way in and I was puzzled where my sound went. Rite of passage, I take.

------------------

Old 11-06-2016, 04:43 AM   #32
2oo3
Radial Developer
Mechelen

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Clicky envelopes? Nope, but they're fast, as this is a DRUM machine.
If you ever encounter that, it's becauze of too long decay on sounds assigned to the same voice.

Advertisements

------------------
I don't have to be right, I just have to provoke your thoughts