(New to recording) Recording a signal from an amp?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
xTwigsy
Granular Poster
xTwigsy will become famous soon enoughxTwigsy will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
(New to recording) Recording a signal from an amp?

I am new to recording and I was wondering how I would go about recording my bass guitar directly from the amp. I'd rather not record the amp itself but rather get the signal that comes from it...if that makes any sense, I don't really know what I'm talking about to be honest. Anyway,

What hardware should I use/ what do you recommend?

Advertisements

xTwigsy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:27 PM   #2
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1540077
Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,303 Posts
Re: (New to recording) Recording a signal from an amp?

If you mean you don't want to mic it, you should see if your amp has a line or DI out on it.

If so, you can connect this output to an audio interface and you're good to go.

If your amp also has a power amp output, by all means DO NOT plug this into an audio interface.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:04 PM   #3
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317739

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTwigsy View Post
I am new to recording and I was wondering how I would go about recording my bass guitar directly from the amp. I'd rather not record the amp itself but rather get the signal that comes from it...if that makes any sense, I don't really know what I'm talking about to be honest. Anyway,

What hardware should I use/ what do you recommend?
Get a usb mixer. Alesis makes a solid usb mixer in 4 8 12 and I think 16 channel. Plug into the line and record.

Also, What Mr. Dobson said.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 02:08 AM   #4
lrn5043
Regular Freak
lrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the rough
State College, PA
MC Status: 310

You're going to need some sort of audio interface in order to record any signal to a computer. If your bass amp has a DI our or line out, you can send that to your interface (as mentioned before, DO NOT send a signal to an audio interface that is post power amp. You'll fry it.)

When I'm recording my bass, I run it through a Sansamp VT Bass pedal for tone shaping, then to my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. However, you may not necessarily need a dedicated audio interface, as some mixers have a built-in audio interface with a USB out.
lrn5043 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 03:20 AM   #5
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

Yeah, get an audio interface that has a direct line in. They're way better than a live mixer imo. You get a nice clean signal. I use a Presonus AudioBox iOne, which has one XLR with phantom power and a direct 1/4" input.

Connect the DI output of your amp into the 1/4" input of the audio interface, hit record on your computer and you're good to go. Just make sure your levels are right too and nothing is clipping.
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #6
Creepr
IDMf Artist
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 7510

The salient point here is the DI out from the amp, if your amp does not have one, there are 2 choices: mod it, or mic it. I would not recommend modding, just throwing it out there....Unless you really need the particular tone from your amp, have you considered just plugging into an audio interface on your PC, assuming you have one? You can find all kinds of VST amp sims to get at least close to the sound of your physical amp.

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 04:49 AM   #7
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6905809
Thanked 3,532 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepr View Post
The salient point here is the DI out from the amp, if your amp does not have one, there are 2 choices: mod it, or mic it.
Or you could just buy a DI box. You can get a shitty Behringer DI new for less than fifty bucks which is more than adequate for the first time recordist.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
relic (17-04-2016)
Old 17-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744037141
Thanked 7,394 Times in 4,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Or you could just buy a DI box. You can get a shitty Behringer DI new for less than fifty bucks which is more than adequate for the first time recordist.
Just go direct guitar to usb lead.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #9
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6905809
Thanked 3,532 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Just go direct guitar to usb lead.
Amps are for pussies... Guitar Rig
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #10
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
fuck you!
MC Status: 329126700
Thanked 1,724 Times in 1,190 Posts

^^i actually just sold my amp,as i use guitar rig more,it also helped finance my moog mother 32 purchase!

Advertisements

Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote