About to hack my headphones.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 31-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10378317
About to hack my headphones.

My phones, Ultrasone Pro 750 are amazing though the interior build quality I know now could be so much better. The right ear stopped working due to the wire broken at some point. The wire is basically stuffed into and wraps around the headpiece with lots of failure points. Somewhere it broke. And it's basically impossible to take out without breaking further.

Opening it up the wiring seems very fragile like most cheap phones. The wires are the thinnest. Glad I got them at half price.

Anyway I'm going to have to rewire them with some thicker wire routed outside the structure. With heat shrink and zip ties. Wish me luck. Using my AKG 240 and hate them.

Thinking of [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:18 AM   #2
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
Re: About to hack my headphones.

Success I think. Both sides work but I managed to poke the right driver with my screwdriver while reassembling. It is a magnet. Fuck. Seems like the right side is a bit quieter for some frequencies. Not sure. Playing around with mono sounds but can't figure it out.

Still might get a new set of cans soon. These are great and expensive but I got them half price.

------------------
Old 06-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #3
Focalized
Man in the box
Space Base

Forget it they're fucked. Everything sounds wack now. Bass is all wrong.

------------------
Old 06-04-2016, 08:36 AM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

Broken membrane/driver is a bummer. See if you can get a new one from Ultrasone, or check to see if there is any warranty left. Perhaps they are cool.

I know the feeling. I went for a new pair (I'm an AKG user though). Last pair of AKG headphones lasted me 12 years and about...10+ resoldering/fixing/cleaning/glueing/re-plugging, etc before totally giving up. I almost used them daily, so I would consider that great build quality.

Edit: Also, I can recommend this:

Last edited by Evelon; 06-04-2016 at 08:48 AM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:09 AM   #5
Focalized
Man in the box
Space Base

Lots of stuff in that picture. What do you recommend?

They're kind of ok. Not sure if the membrane is damaged. I lowered the left side a couple db and they seem balanced enough. I'm looking into getting a Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro maybe. With my tax return I can get them, a new fridge and a love seat!

------------------
Old 06-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #6
Focalized
Man in the box
Space Base

I hate my AKG 240. Terribly uncomfortable, weird narrow sound. I'd buy these Ultrasone again if they weren't $350 plus. I can't remember how or where I got them around $150 some 5 years ago.

------------------
Old 06-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #7
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalized View Post
Lots of stuff in that picture. What do you recommend?
The big thing in the center of the picture, which is made out of wood. Wooden headphones stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalized View Post
They're kind of ok. Not sure if the membrane is damaged. I lowered the left side a couple db and they seem balanced enough. I'm looking into getting a Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro maybe. With my tax return I can get them, a new fridge and a love seat!
So there is hope. Good! The wooden headphone stand is also cheap (*caugh* Ebay China). Your headphones are worth it, and it also looks great.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
Focalized
Man in the box
Space Base

I was hoping Emily Dickinson had some answers.

I don't think I caused it too much stress, maybe some. But the way the wire is routed through the headpiece it's very prone to breaking at some point. How hard it is to remove says a lot. This being said for any electronic device.

Advertisements

------------------