Any tips/preferences when mixing in mono?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 26-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21010
Any tips/preferences when mixing in mono?

I accidentally did my first mix down in mono last month. I turned it on to check, saved, left, forgot I had it on and did my whole mix that way when I came back, then only turned it off when I was printing the mix to go and master it. I was really happy with the results, ended up doing it for a few more projects since then. But, I find it doesn't help that much with some projects.

Is there certain times you find it more helpful than others? Do you only mixdown in mono when you're aiming for a certain sound? I guess I'm just curious what your thoughts and processes are when it comes to this sort of thing.

Advertisements

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560
Re: Any tips/preferences when mixing in mono?

For some of my mixes, mixing in mono is the only way to get a good mix of levels and eq. It's a good technique.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
tnovoamusic
Regular Freak
tnovoamusic will become famous soon enoughtnovoamusic will become famous soon enough
Berlin
MC Status: 110

well i love mixing in mono. Check out the brainworx freebie bx_solo. You can listen MID (mono) Sides (mono) Left (mono), right (mono) and both channels in mono of course. So in some way you can hear your mixes from 6 different angles. it is a really good technique.
tnovoamusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
Theoctavist
Regular Freak
Theoctavist is just really niceTheoctavist is just really niceTheoctavist is just really niceTheoctavist is just really nice
MC Status: 360

I *ALWAYS* mix in mono first, and then adjust. hell of a lot harder to get a great sounding mix that way, but therein lies its strength. I also have a terrible laptop-ish speaker wired in mono for referencing.

Advertisements

Theoctavist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote