BB70 - Soundboy rolls a joint with one hand during mixdown
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles A dedicated area to discuss Beat Battle contests

Old 03-01-2018, 11:14 AM   #1
Iyashi Sound
Radial Developer
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 5610
BB70 - Soundboy rolls a joint with one hand during mixdown

Welcome to the first Beat Battle of 2018!

This one will be about digging into traditional Jamaican dancehall styles (roots, reggae, ragamuffin, ska, dub etc), and adding your own thing to it.

If you need inspiration, a search for King Tubby, King Jammy or Lee "Scratch" Perry on Youtube should get you started.

The rules:

1. Select and sample a passage from an original Jamaican reggae/dancehall tune. It can be an old classic or something brand new. How much or little you sample is up to you.

2. Add new rhythms to that, using the supplied samples/audio-files. All sampling tricks and techniques are allowed (including resampling the dancehall tune you selected in step 1).

3. You can add your own tonal sounds as needed (melodicas, synths, pianos etc), but not use any additional drum sounds.

The samples:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

THE DEADLINES

Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a ...Wednesday.
Submissions close and votes open at 23:59 11 days later (Sunday).

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day (Tuesday).

The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day Wednesday, to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

THE TIMES ARE CHAOTIC AND CHAOS IS GOOD!

All times are UTC

THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.
Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 03-01-2018 at 11:20 AM..

Advertisements

Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:17 AM   #2
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1838577
Re: BB70 - Soundboy rolls a joint with one hand during mixdown

Need some 2018 motivation - this may just be the detox tonic!

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80994230
Thanked 4,080 Times in 2,647 Posts

that's good, mec; I've always had a natural inclination toward riddim samples but never dared use them myself.

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
7asid
Sample Destroyer
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver
MC Status: 9010

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

7asid is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:48 AM   #5
brb
IDMf Artist
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69888519

Mi workin pon a likkle ting dat nuh seem like toxic cultural appropriation at all.

Sampling this:

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to brb
Iyashi Sound (07-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 11:37 PM   #6
Iyashi Sound
Radial Developer
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha! I wonder what they were thinking when they made that

I like the feeling and sound of it, though!

From tomorrow things should ease up a bit here, hopefully giving me time to mess around in the studio. I've been playing a collection called: "Prince Jammy - Crucial in Dub" a lot lately, so I think I might try sampling a track from that one.

I look forward to hearing what you guys come up with!

Thanks.

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 09-01-2018 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
brb
IDMf Artist
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC

My main attempt has got a little sidetracked, but the b-side is maybe finished:

brb - bb70b - hotstep riddim

Once these are out of the way I'll try to make something a bit more on topic.

------------------
Thanks to brb
Iyashi Sound (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 11:32 AM   #8
Iyashi Sound
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
Once these are out of the way I'll try to make something a bit more on topic.
Very nice! I don't think this is off topic at all. The way the chords shine through at the end is especially lovely
Old 10-01-2018, 05:48 PM   #9
Iyashi Sound
Radial Developer

After having sampled different parts, and tried making something from playing around with slices for way too long - the challenge is beginning to seem harder than I anticipated

Somehow the samples I've chosen seems so nailed down in a certain style, that I find it hard to get satisfying results that aren't just the original song with some strange effects added to it (which apparently isn't what I want to do).

Oh well, - I'll give it another go again tomorrow and hopefully come up with some kind of fresh approach.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:41 PM   #10
brb
IDMf Artist

Exactly what happened to me, just ended up with a super washed out, out of tune, loopy annoyance, so I started something else. ;~)

Anyway, here's the thing I temporarily abandoned, mix salvaged, bounced, dubbified (multi-band rinse/repeat) and mixed back in with the dryish drums and dryish sample from the first attempt:
brb - bb70a_2 - popatop riddim

------------------
Thanks to brb
Iyashi Sound (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 12:21 AM   #11
brb
IDMf Artist

Just adding this here, it's not an entry, just a bit of fun:

------------------
Old 11-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #12
Iyashi Sound
Radial Developer

Amazing stuff! And what a lovely mashup as well. George's voice was amazing. Makes me want to buy a dubplate cutting machine
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
brb (11-01-2018)
Old 14-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #13
Iyashi Sound
Radial Developer

Hey there.

Things have been a bit bleak around the studio lately, not really anything close to Jamaican sunshine at all, but I hope this short jam might warm I & I up some despite the cold

This one is based on King Jammy's "President Dub", itself a version of Black Crucial's "President" (also produced by Jammy).

Here's a download link:

You can listen to Jammy's originals here (dub):

and here (original song):

Thanks.

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 14-01-2018 at 03:48 PM..
Old 17-01-2018, 12:03 AM   #14
7asid
Sample Destroyer
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver

Here's mine. It's just a bit of a dub jam, a bunch of things still missing from it, will probably rework it down the road. I sampled congoman by the congos.

i added some guitar and bass, i wanted to use my house organ but didn't get to it so i used an organ plugin

It was nice just to listen to a shitload of reggae related stuff for a few days, now I have a couple of new faves.

------------------

Old 17-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #15
Iyashi Sound
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7asid View Post
Here's mine..
I like this very much!

Very stylish, laid back and easy on the ears

Without studying the original closely, it's hard to tell exactly what's original and what isn't, which just shows that you really got into it. Very nice stuff!

I only recently learnt about the Congos myself - from the collaboration they did with Sun Araw and M. Geddes Gengras back in 2012. The vinyl edition of the album "Icon Give Thanks" comes with a very cool documentary DVD about meeting and working with the Band in their Jamaican studio/hideout. In some ways the sounds on there are almost better than the the tunes on the album itself. Definitely worth checking out anyway!

Thanks!
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
7asid (17-01-2018)
Old 17-01-2018, 10:12 PM   #16
Iyashi Sound
Radial Developer

Re-reading the rules I pasted into the original post, it seems I messed up the submission deadline (instead of 11 days I set it to 14). Sorry about that.

The voting period will of course have to be extended a couple of days, since it would otherwise already be over.

I think my vote this round will go to 7asid, - although I also really like brb's "hotstep riddim".
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
7asid (17-01-2018)
Old 17-01-2018, 10:32 PM   #17
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1838577

My vote goes 7asid. Nice work. Great subs as always and great bb, nice move. Really wish I could get time. Too busy with IRL fan at the moment. Typical got a new rig, and kit not getting any play time lol.
Anyway hopefully I can squeeze one in soon. Peace and happy new year to all...as Jan's almost gone x

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:02 AM   #18
7asid
Sample Destroyer
Vancouver

Awesome stuff guys, I vote Iyashi

Advertisements

------------------

Thanks to 7asid
Iyashi Sound (Today)