BB69, dude! Random Articles
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles A dedicated area to discuss Beat Battle contests

Old 06-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #1
brb
IDMf Artist
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69888519
BB69, dude! Random Articles

THE SAMPLES

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

THE RULES

In addition to the samples, you may use no more than three additional instruments (VSTi/hardware/samples/whatever, you know the drill, don't take the piss).

1: The first three digit number you come across in the main body of a random article found by clicking the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
link on wikipedia shall be your project tempo. The title of that page will determine the key: the first instance of a letter from 'a' to 'g'. If the word has an odd number of letters, you will add a sharp. As to whether it's minor, major, dim9add17maj/min14.3, that's up to you.

e.g.
The quoted page would give me a project tempo of 591bpm and A#.

2: Here is the title of your track: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

..and here is the style: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(spin again if it lands on electronic because electronic is a given).

3: You must go to your own cupboard/drawers/clothing storage facility and retrieve an article of clothing chosen by a random selection process of your own design - which you must describe. This article of clothing must be worn at all times during the composition and production of your track(s). Though no proof of this shall be demanded, you are honour bound by this stipulation.

I encourage everyone to cheat by finding a random page with a decent project tempo, and to explore using weird time sigs by random means, too.

THE DEADLINES

Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a ...Wednesday.
Submissions close and votes open at 23:59 11 days later (Sunday).

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day (Tuesday).

The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day Wednesday, to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

THE TIMES ARE CHAOTIC AND CHAOS IS GOOD!

All times are UTC

THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.
Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

Last edited by brb; 15-12-2017 at 01:47 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:04 AM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 187260
Thanked 3,745 Times in 2,788 Posts
Re: BB69, dude! Random Articles

Sorry, dude..I appreciate the creativity and thought and all that, but you'll have to count me out of this one..way too detailed for the likes of me to follow; but best of luck to everyone who does take part. The end results should certainly be interesting.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:41 AM   #3
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 5710

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
The first three digit number you come across in the main body of a random article found by clicking the 'random article' link on wikipedia shall be your project tempo. The title of that page will determine the key: the first instance of a letter from 'a' to 'g'. If the word has an odd number of letters, you will add a sharp. As to whether it's minor, major, dim9add17maj/min14.3, that's up to you.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Mizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MC
Beertown
MC Status: 2147483647

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
SAMPLES:

In addition to the samples, you may use no more than three additional instruments (VSTi/hardware/samples/whatever, you know the drill, don't take the piss).

1: The first three digit number you come across in the main body of a random article found by clicking the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
link on wikipedia shall be your project tempo. The title of that page will determine the key: the first instance of a letter from 'a' to 'g'. If the word has an odd number of letters, you will add a sharp. As to whether it's minor, major, dim9add17maj/min14.3, that's up to you.

e.g.
The quoted page would give me a project tempo of 591bpm and A#.

2: Here is the title of your track: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

..and here is the style: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(spin again if it lands on electronic because electronic is a given).

3: You must go to your own cupboard/drawers/clothing storage facility and retrieve an article of clothing chosen by a random selection process of your own design - which you must describe. This article of clothing must be worn at all times during the composition and production of your track(s). Though no proof of this shall be demanded, you are honour bound by this stipulation.

I encourage everyone to cheat by finding a random page with a decent project tempo, and to explore using weird time sigs by random means, too.

I'll update this post with the official rules and deadline stuff later.
I FUCKING LOVE IT... I'm so annoyed though, right in the middle of exam period, I have no idea if I'll be able to participate until Christmas. I'll try find some time on a weekend or something, but I seriously doubt it. Already looking forward to all the submissions... this one already sounds crazy...

Just in case though, I would like to know if effect VSTs count when you said: three additional instruments. I mean, instruments and effects are two different things, but from the same instrument I can resample and through effects I can make it sound like a whole new instrument. Would that be cheating?

------------------
Mizuchi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mizuchi
brb (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
brb
IDMf Artist
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC

It's all good as long as ultimately you're not using more than three instruments, ie, the things that you can change pitch and duration of notes on to make melodies and rhythms.

------------------
Old 08-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #6
Iyashi Sound
Radial Developer
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 5610

The "random article" link lead me to an article from 2011 called: "Zombies are so hot right now", - and since I'm apparently doing "world music", I think I'll take the zombie thing literally and dive into Haitian voodoo drumming patterns.

I managed to open the soundfonts in Ableton btw (by simple drag & drop). Thanks!
Iyashi Sound is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
brb (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #7
brb
IDMf Artist

YW! I made them myself many moons ago for some rando-drum machine VST project that went nowhere and got abandoned.

------------------
Old 15-12-2017, 01:32 AM   #8
brb
IDMf Artist

Here we go:
Extra instruments: a 606 clone, 303 clone and MiniSynth.

Tempo and key derived from: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
)
(139 bpm, A)

Title: The Saga of the Scientific Swindler (1884-1891)

Style: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

(world - I was tempted by Io but in the end I chose Earth)

Article of clothing (a flat cap) randomly chosen by using a cat as a divining rod.

Last edited by brb; 15-12-2017 at 01:39 AM..

------------------
Thanks to brb
Iyashi Sound (15-12-2017)
Old 15-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #9
Iyashi Sound
Radial Developer
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear.

When you originally wrote that you'd return and update the thread with the clock and details later, I thought you meant that the deadline would run from the time you did that.

So far all I've done is shuffle through the crazy amount of drum-samples like a demented child with too many Christmas-presents.

I guess I'll have to try to pull some kind of magic trick over the weekend.

Cool track by the way!
Old 15-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #10
brb
IDMf Artist

I am well up for extending the deadline, there was some talk of stretching one out before wasn't there?

------------------
Old 15-12-2017, 05:13 PM   #11
Iyashi Sound
Radial Developer

I think I could whip something up within the deadline, but if anyone else fancies an extension it's fine with me
Old 15-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #12
brb
IDMf Artist

Well we could get this one over with then have a good one to cover the entire holiday period. I'm easy.

------------------
Old 15-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #13
Iyashi Sound
Radial Developer

This was all I had time for today. I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to get free time tomorrow - so I'll just post it like it is.

The Wikipedia article about the Indian constituency of Bhore gave me a tempo of 103bpm and the key of H#:

)

..and the title is from this rather lazy piece of journalism entitled "Zombies are so hot right now":

I decided to ask the local fairy about the clothing issue, - to which he said that he: "didn't care as long as I put on a pair of pants". He didn't seem to care which ones, so I chose a pair of really tight skin-coloured yoga pants, secretly hoping to annoy him.

Additional instruments are a Waldorf Blofeld and the "SMACKOS TAPE STATION"

The sample is from "Night of the Living Dead" (1968).

And here 's the link for the music:

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 15-12-2017 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
brb (16-12-2017)
Old 16-12-2017, 02:11 AM   #14
brb
IDMf Artist

That was rather brilliant!

------------------
Thanks to brb
Iyashi Sound (16-12-2017)
Old 16-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #15
Iyashi Sound
Radial Developer

Thanks. I'm glad you liked it

I feel like we need some kind of tumble-weed emoticon for this round.

I'm too messed up today to manage a second submission this round. I did actually have a go at it earlier, but sharing that clusterfuck would just be too embarrassing.

I wanted to ask about the 303 and 606 clones you mentioned btw. I take it you mean hardware synths, right? So I'm curious as to what brand you're using, and whether you're satisfied with them as well.
Old 16-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #16
brb
IDMf Artist

Oh no they're VSTs. Nithonat by D16 for the 606 (I also have their 303, 808 and 909 clones, they're pretty damn good), and ABL (the original, not the sequels) for the 303.

D16's 303 is good, really flexible compared to others, and best suited for screaming acid, but ABL is simpler and best for softer analogue sounding low resonance/low distortion stuff imo.

We need tumbleweeds for most of my hosted rounds, I keep telling you all to stop voting for me.

------------------
Thanks to brb
Iyashi Sound (16-12-2017)
Old 16-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #17
Iyashi Sound
Radial Developer

Thanks. I tried some of the D16 demos out at one point, and yes - they seemed impressively well made.

My guess is that the low turnout for this round has more to do with people losing their minds over Christmas than anything else..
Old 16-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #18
brb
IDMf Artist

I was considering starting my Christmas shopping today. Didn't bother.

------------------
Old 16-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #19
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11479254

I did some of it last week, and am gonna try to finish tomorrow.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #20
Iyashi Sound
Radial Developer

Since I/O Madness failed to produce a Hail Mary, - I suppose my vote will have to go to brb again this round

Listening to the track again, I think perhaps you went a bit overboard with the drum reverbs. Besides being quite loud in the mix, the pre-delay micro-timing seems to work mostly against the groove rather than for it, - creating a strange feeling, like the beat is constantly struggling to move forward.

Like walking through knee-high powder snow, perhaps?

I realise it might have been an intentional choice of course, aiming for a feeling of "suspicious activity" related to the whole "swindler/imposter" theme, - but I just though I'd mention it anyway.

I especially enjoyed the heavy snare fills on this one.

The story in the article is a strange one btw. What kind of man chooses to make a living stealing books and equipment from scientists?!

What an absolute dirtbag!

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 18-12-2017 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: spelling

Advertisements

Thanks to Iyashi Sound
brb (18-12-2017)