How do you backup your projects?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 23-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Xenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond repute
Gangster's Paradise
MC Status: 4160
How do you backup your projects?

In a hard drive crash about three years ago I've lost a crapload of my projects I've been working on over the years. I've managed to recover about 70% of my FL Studio projects and lost all of my older Cubase files, except for two; ironically those two which I did not backup.

I did make a backup of my Cubase projects, but stupid me put everything in a compressed folder. I tested it when I made it and it worked, but when I wanted to access it after the crash the compressed file somehow got corrupted in the meanwhile, so all is lost. I compressed it because I didn't have much space and I had really a lot of wav files I exported.

I do make regular backups now but my process is sloppy, tedious and inefficient. Basically I just transfer the files from one hard drive to another, but I'm always afraid I miss something or overwrite something that shouldn't be...

Come to think of it just now, cloud storage might be a genius idea... I wanted to mirror two drives with RAID but I had some issues while setting it up didn't go through with it.

Now my question is: Do you backup(I sure hope so. If not, start NOW!), and how do you go about it? Do you do it per project, or like me just transfer the folders? Do you perhaps have an automated system which does it automatically say daily or weekly?

Advertisements

------------------
Just started a new movement. I call it Xenon-phobia...
Xenon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Benwaa
Re: How do you backup your projects?

I backup to a HDD dedicated to backing up my projects, i also have my productions folder synced to my dropbox, i've lost too many in the past from not backing up and really learnt my lesson on that
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Xenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond repute
Gangster's Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
I backup to a HDD dedicated to backing up my projects, i also have my productions folder synced to my dropbox, i've lost too many in the past from not backing up and really learnt my lesson on that
I know the feeling. Luckily I don't do it professionally. A friend of mine who does, almost lost all songs from a school production he did, a few days before the production; fortunately there is recovery software out there.

I have an extra hard drive in my PC, but my power supply is too weak, so it has issues reading the thing. That is the drive I wanted to dedicate to backups but fist I have to do some shopping for new PSU. Just wished I had the time...

------------------
Old 23-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
Benwaa

I use one of these:

I don't use it as a hub like it shows, but i do use it for various nd quick changes of HDD. pus it cost me approx 12
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Gangster's Paradise

Quote:
I use one of these:

I don't use it as a hub like it shows, but i do use it for various nd quick changes of HDD. pus it cost me approx 12
I have exactly one of those. Just the model without all the USB and card adapters. ATM that is what I use as the main drive to store my projects on(and other stuff as well). I like to keep my OS drive only for the OS and installed programs.

------------------
Old 23-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

I work inside my dropbox folder, it's far from ideal but it works for me. I've got like 30 gb in it and it also gives me the possibility to open files on my iPod and phone.

I also backup an image of my first hard drive (a ssd with all the software) every week or two and copy all the files from my second hard disk (only for storage) to an external hard drive.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Gangster's Paradise

I actually like the fact of working out of the dropbox folder because everything is then synced. You don't have to worry about syncing it at a later stage. The other plus, as have been mentioned, you have access to it anywhere, so your house could be stolen empty and still your stuff won't be lost.

------------------
Old 24-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam
MC Status: 7010

Quote:
I use one of these:

I'm intrigued. Can you explain to me what it is exactly I'm looking at? How does this benefit over pluging in an external HDD and backing up your data to that disk?

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Spiritos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
Syllix
Eternal Echoer
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1097447

about every month I back up to an external hard drive. if i do more projects i will back up sooner than that (even though i know i should backup more often).

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest video game remix: Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Aquatic Ruin Zone!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564480
Thanked 7,471 Times in 5,276 Posts

I have RAID system in my production PC, it was super easy to set up. Basically there is a redundant HDD and each time data is saved to one it is saved to the other. You can't run software from it, only store data. I'd like to had a third HDD to speed it up (RAID multithreading I think it's called). The RAID system can be a tad slow, but usually only when saving/opening projects. I run samples live from it in my projects now problem. But the multithreading three HDD RAID system is supposed to be faster.

Great solution for the lazy man producer.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Hakuin (24-08-2013)
Old 25-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts

Wow, that docking system looks like just what i need.

I dont back anything up at this point, but i used to do it until my old HD died on me, so now i only have one. I need to get one of those solid state drives that plugi n via usb and just use that for backups. Really the only stuff I need to back up are my music project files and some of my personal stuff (but even that's not so important, nothing with taxes or info like that on my PC anyway). Such a Luddite.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Gangster's Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I have RAID system in my production PC, it was super easy to set up. Basically there is a redundant HDD and each time data is saved to one it is saved to the other. You can't run software from it, only store data. I'd like to had a third HDD to speed it up (RAID multithreading I think it's called). The RAID system can be a tad slow, but usually only when saving/opening projects. I run samples live from it in my projects now problem. But the multithreading three HDD RAID system is supposed to be faster.

Great solution for the lazy man producer.
I haven't heard of the multi-threading yet, I know about a RAID technique call striping though; perhaps it's one and the same thing. Basically you set up two drives so that the computer splits the data and write a bit of data to each drive simultaneously. That gives you about twice the performance; minus the processing time for the striping algorithm. This just leaves you with the problem of twice the data-loss risk. If you lose one drive, the bits on the other are useless.

You could of course mirror two pairs of drives, and then stripe each pair; giving you the performance plus two redundants(But only one guaranteed).

Quote:
You can't run software from it, only store data.
I've done a bit of research on this topic before I tried setting up RAID on my system. As far I know there are two ways to set up RAID: Directly from your motherboard from BIOS(Or other RAID hardware) or through Windows. What I understand about this is that with Windows' RAID, Windows only virtually creates the RAID setup and the two drives are still seen as separate by the hardware. With this setup you cannot install an OS on the RAID drives.

If you've set up RAID via hardware, you're drives are "merged" at a hardware level thus windows sees it as only one drive, oblivious of the fact that two drives are present. As far as I know, you could install an OS on such a setup.

I might be wrong with this though, so please correct me if that is the case.

------------------
Old 25-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564480
Thanked 7,471 Times in 5,276 Posts

Yes! Striping. That's what I meant. I know to make the most of RAID you need 3-4 harddrives. You can use RAID to speed up your HDD through striping. Or you can use RAID for backup. The latter two options only require 2 HDDs. To do both, as you say, you need 3-4 drives.

I'm pretty sure I set mine up through Windows. And I've only done it once so I'm not an expert. I know they way I set it up I can't run software from it, but it's possible you can in another setup, not sure. I bet a quick search of the Microsoft knowledge base would sort you ;p

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105318139
Thanked 1,000 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
I use one of these:

This looks fail-safe as all fuck off!

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Gangster's Paradise

Quote:
Yes! Striping. That's what I meant. I know to make the most of RAID you need 3-4 harddrives. You can use RAID to speed up your HDD through striping. Or you can use RAID for backup. The latter two options only require 2 HDDs. To do both, as you say, you need 3-4 drives.

I'm pretty sure I set mine up through Windows. And I've only done it once so I'm not an expert. I know they way I set it up I can't run software from it, but it's possible you can in another setup, not sure. I bet a quick search of the Microsoft knowledge base would sort you ;p
I'm no pro either, that's just all I read over the past few months. What I've read just now. Many people are heavily against RAID as backup. It's obvious that it won't save your data in case of theft or fire, but I think it's an excellent idea for backup against hardware failure. They say though that software RAID is a bit unstable if you want to do hardware swaps or OS changes.

In the end I think I'll go for the dropbox option as a backup. Once everything is in the cloud, it's only a few meg a day as you work on your projects.

------------------
Old 25-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam
MC Status: 7010

Hey @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, could you tell me some more about that backup solution and how it benefits a regular external HDD using Acronis or Paragon or so?

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Spiritos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #17
CocaineAudio
Soundscaper
CocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud of
Newark, New Jersey
MC Status: 1010

external hardrive and files/ folders.. i try to do it every couple months .. it takes time but is worth it...

------------------
Follow Me On Twitter: @SluRty
SlurRty Memories (Original Mix) *Released 6-18-14* =
CocaineAudio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #18
Jon_Evo
Granular Poster
Jon_Evo has a spectacular aura aboutJon_Evo has a spectacular aura aboutJon_Evo has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

External Lacie Drive. It auto backs up every now and then so I don't have to remember to do so.
Jon_Evo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #19
rodan
Soundwave Mangler
rodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MC
Salt Lake City, UT
MC Status: 13442

I have an entire system weekly scheduled backup to an external hard drive, and I also pay $5 a month for backblaze.

Backblaze automatically backs up my data to the cloud anytime new data is created on my system.
rodan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #20
GKM
Granular Poster
GKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of light
Tropical Cairns
MC Status: 460

I use TimeMachine to backup my environment. I also back up individual projects by copying the entire project to another HD at two or three points throughout the timeline of the project.

Some people back up after every session!

Advertisements

GKM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote