How Would You Prep Kick Drum Loops to Mix w/ old Disco and Funk songs?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 24-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #1
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564530
Thanked 7,472 Times in 5,276 Posts
How Would You Prep Kick Drum Loops to Mix w/ old Disco and Funk songs?

Hey all,

I'm prepping some sets of disco and funk edits. A lot of these edits lack some serious "oompf" in the low end. I'd like to prep some kick drum loops to use in Traktor's remix decks to layer under these tunes so they sound less out of place next to more modern tunes. I really prefer this method because it gives me more flexibility in Traktor in a live situation. I'd like to prep some simple perc loops as well just to add layers. I'm less worried about some one shots of transitional FX et al that I'll be using as well. If I am better off just re-doing some of these edits myself and using boosting EQ and/or layering the kick and mixing/mastering the track over again, I'll listen to that argument as well.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 38860
Re: How Would You Prep Kick Drum Loops to Mix w/ old Disco and Funk songs?

Sine hit around 20-30Hz under the kick, then maybe some NY style dynamic compression focused on the snare, add a light glitz of distortion, glue compress and mix to taste. That'd be where I'd start, anyway. EQ is well and good, but it can't boost what's not there.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
relic (24-04-2018)
Old 28-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #3
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

lowpassed 909 kick drum, works like a charm.

I'd build it into the track to keep things easy personally. When i was DJing regularly I was constantly making chase edits for my sets.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (28-04-2018)
Old 28-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #4
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

come to think of it I had a gig for awhile doing edits of progressive house tunes for a local DJ.

#sidehustle

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (28-04-2018)
Old 28-04-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 31910

I’d probably do something similar to all these suggestions

Specifically I would probably load up a sampler with a low pass filter tuned down to about 100 hz and then just flip through a bunch of kick drums until I found one that sat easily in the mix with little effort. Obv a 909 would work, but yea I might find kicks that suit the character of each track individually

Then I might fine tune/mix them a little bit. If you have trouble with muddiness you could side chain the kicks to dynamic eq (TDR NOVA) and have it duck the lows when it hits.

Whenever layering kicks always flip the phase to check and see which way they sit better.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
relic (28-04-2018)
Old 28-04-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 64160
Thanked 1,283 Times in 946 Posts

Couple of thoughts...

You could use Goldbaby’s Dirt and Layers or Kick2 to re-engineer the low end. Using NY compression is a nice one as well, esp if combined with the above.
You could also use a good pitch shifter (z-plane Elastique) and pitch down the original kick until you have more low end, LP and side chain it, blend in low end as desired.
Or use a drum synth for low end only, a 110Hz sine, distortion, and envelope should be all you need.
Top it off with a good helping of Saturn’s kick designer and through a glue compressor it goes.

I am also a huge fan of accusonus’ Regroover. Brilliant tool to re-tool all sorts of sampled loops.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
relic (28-04-2018)
Old 28-04-2018, 07:11 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564530
Thanked 7,472 Times in 5,276 Posts

Thanks guys. I need to get on this for sure. I'll probably end up using a combination of the suggestions here--whatever works for the track. Really all great options here.

And I do have Dirt and Layers--kind forgot about it. I'll be looking at that for sure. Great sample pack.

Last edited by relic; 28-04-2018 at 07:37 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
liquid_air (28-04-2018)