Distorion on Master?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:24 AM   #1
qubeo
IDMf's latest spammer
qubeo is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Distorion on Master?

Do you put some distortion in your masters?

I know that you should put a tape distortion at the end of a digital master, because professional's use analog mixing table that distort a bit the signal. Is it a good method? When I do this the master sounds more punchy but less crispy, so I often undo this.
But sometimes I put a subtle clip distortion, and I think it sounds more crispy, punchy, but I don't think is a good method maybe for the other speakers it's ruining the song!
Or other times I try to make my song pass though the external soudcard to recreate the analog mixing table. But I don't know what I'm doing

What do you do?

Advertisements

qubeo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:18 AM   #2
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 28310
Re: Distorion on Master?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qubeo View Post
What do you do?
100% depends on the situation. When I'm mastering an entire album, I'll put everything through a similar, very light distortion to give it all the same flavor. For individual songs though.... don't overrate the analog sound. It's possible for analog mixes to sound bad, and modern EDM/IDM is a great candidate to expose the weaknesses of an analog signal chain and end up not sounding great. Try to get your mix sounding great without any distortion, then add what you want to take it to the next level. Sometimes, if your mix is just right, you won't need it. Other times, you'll add it and distortion just won't work if the mix is too full already. I find myself using it less and less in my mastering because I want cleaner masters, and distortion is not clean by definition.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
A.M (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 04:55 AM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564530
Thanked 7,472 Times in 5,276 Posts

I prefer saturation to distortion. I use U He Satin as the first plug in on my 2 bus on every song. I also often use 10% wet or less distortion on my send reverb(s).

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 05:05 AM   #4
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 31910

Personally I always put distortion on the master.. heh.

I usually use a clipper to get rid of super fast transients, and then I usually do some parallel processing from a couple of different saturation devices. Usually one tape one and one tube (for even and odd harmonics respectively). It is really important to get good quality distortion when you’re dealing with the master channel tho. I think I might disagree with white noise here there are a couple of newer saturation plugins I have (hg-2 black box, and Kush 458a) that always do something to the sound I like, but that is likely just a personal preference thing. I like sparking clear mixes but even more than that I like slightly gooey analog ones. Also, these plugins (I believe because they are tube emulations) can actually increase the sense of clarity, to me anyway. But I do agree that it is best to not even think about this stuff until you are totally finished mixing, let it be the icing on the cake.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
A.M (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 05:07 AM   #5
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200060
Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,976 Posts

Solid comments here from both Relic and White Noise. Personally, I don't tend to use Distortion all that much, other than as a specific effect on a channel in a mix, but I often add Saturation to the Sub Master bus to help polish the over-all sound of the track before exporting/bouncing.

As WN already stated, it really depends on the piece your working on and what you want to achieve in the end..sometimes something will work..and other times it's just not the right thing at all.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:38 AM   #6
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I prefer to mix into my saturation plug in. But my mixes aren't anything special

------------------
Old 12-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 28310

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
I think I might disagree with white noise here there are a couple of newer saturation plugins I have (hg-2 black box, and Kush 458a) that always do something to the sound I like, but that is likely just a personal preference thing. I like sparking clear mixes but even more than that I like slightly gooey analog ones.
No worries, I was in the same boat for awhile, and I actually haven't heard of those plugins, so maybe I need to demo them. But for me, most distortions end up working in the time domain as well as the frequency domain, which is what I really don't want. It messes with the groove of my song to my ear.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238279

Distortion goes in ALL channels.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
A.M (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 55460
Thanked 1,109 Times in 730 Posts

I run all of my masters through a metal zone pedal for that extra pzazz
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #10
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 15460

^ trve kvlt analog

Interesting topic though, did not know it was a practice. Probably because I don’t know shit about mastering ...

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Chozo Tull
A.M (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #11
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozo Tull View Post
^ trve kvlt analog

Interesting topic though, did not know it was a practice. Probably because I donít know shit about mastering ...
Yes very comment. as long as you call it ďsaturationĒ and not ďdistortionĒ. Like how we jazz musicians donít have band practice we have ďrehearsalĒ.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:16 PM   #12
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Yes very comment. as long as you call it “saturation” and not “distortion”. Like how we jazz musicians don’t have band practice we have “rehearsal”.
I guess it really is splitting hairs lol

------------------
Old 13-02-2018, 04:00 AM   #13
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

On master buss.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

On master buss or individual busses/channels.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
chasedobson (16-02-2018)
Old 13-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #14
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post

I have their IVGI unit, but what's the SDRR one like in comparison?

------------------
Old 13-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #15
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I have their IVGI unit, but what's the SDRR one like in comparison?
I find numericalís statement to be a little odd becaus IVGI is a light version of SDRR, perhaps he find the limited controls more appropriate for mastering situations?

SDRR has more modes (saturation models) and more parameters per mode. It also has a high quality setting that Iím not sure IVGI has, which I would think would make it better for mastering. Itís hands down the best saturation plugin for the money.
Thanks to mnkvolcno
A.M (13-02-2018)
Old 13-02-2018, 06:58 PM   #16
A.M

Quote:
I find numericalís statement to be a little odd becaus IVGI is a light version of SDRR, perhaps he find the limited controls more appropriate for mastering situations?

SDRR has more modes (saturation models) and more parameters per mode. It also has a high quality setting that Iím not sure IVGI has, which I would think would make it better for mastering. Itís hands down the best saturation plugin for the money.
Yeah, that's more or less what I was thinking..hence the question about the difference between the two..like, is SDRR all that much better than the lighter IVGI, which I have..as I've seen SDRR on offer a few times over the last few weeks and was wondering if it's worth the drop.

------------------
Old 13-02-2018, 07:17 PM   #17
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478708
Thanked 3,102 Times in 2,052 Posts

If you're not overdriving a Hyper Metal 3 you're doing it wrong.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
A.M (13-02-2018)
Old 15-02-2018, 04:44 AM   #18
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts

Quote:

No I fucked up the post, mean the first link last. sorry
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
A.M (15-02-2018)
Old 15-02-2018, 08:04 AM   #19
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 55460
Thanked 1,109 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
If you're not overdriving a Hyper Metal 3 you're doing it wrong.

In all seriousness, distorting the master is essential for good HNW

Advertisements

Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote