The future of music?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
Akiak
Sample Destroyer
Akiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to behold
Napoli
MC Status: 960
The future of music?

So this is going to be a quite vague thread...

Anyway...what do you imagine the music scene will be like say 300 years from now?

I think it's kind of hard to predict what the actual music will be like, but I'm sure they'll never abandon acoustic instruments, and actually I think there'll be more acoustic than electronic.

The distinction between "chart" music and "art" music would probably cease to exist.

Also maybe we'd get to the point where when you play a song it gets simulated by the computer as a sort of live performance, so you never hear the same song twice. Not sure if that would be cool or not actually.

Thoughts?

Advertisements

Akiak is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
fid
IDMf Artist
fid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,985 Posts
Re: The future of music?

There will be professional "classical dubstep" musicians performing at symphony halls for rich people.

------------------
fid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
sradc
Radial Developer
sradc has much to be proud ofsradc has much to be proud ofsradc has much to be proud ofsradc has much to be proud ofsradc has much to be proud ofsradc has much to be proud ofsradc has much to be proud ofsradc has much to be proud ofsradc has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1210

300 years? What about 10 years? We had dubstep, which was a completely new, fart noise based music. In ten years we might all be listening to music based on something that we would think incredible and ridiculous now - for example, it might start being produced visually, instead of acoustically, like some sort of image, composed of colours or lines, with circles, and triangles. We wont need our ears to hear the music of the future, we will use our eyes. Or, for example, the music might be made via a dogs anus.

------------------
sradc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

All the music would be generative, there will exist very strong algorithms for each genre or perhaps even the artists themselves can make their own algorithms. You will be able to extend albums and just tracks in general as long or short as you want.
The music will also somehow be able to adapt to your surroundings and feelings.

Also, no more headphones or monitors, we will have a chip somewhere in our brain which can receive music data, giving us superior sound quality and an extended frequency response.

Or something like that, there probably won't be a lot of humans by then anyway...

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
Akiak
Sample Destroyer
Akiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to behold
Napoli
MC Status: 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by fid View Post
There will be professional "classical dubstep" musicians performing at symphony halls for rich people.
I lol'd

^Anyway I find it more interesting to think about the distant future rather than simply 10 years from now. In the last 200 years first jazz was born, followed by blues, rock, modern classical stuff, then of course the whole electronic movement. It just appeals to me how the concept of music will be reimagined centuries from now. What you suggest with the visual music sounds more like a long-distance transformation at least 50 years from now, rather than simply the 'next dubstep"
Akiak is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #6
sradc
Radial Developer
sradc has much to be proud ofsradc has much to be proud ofsradc has much to be proud ofsradc has much to be proud ofsradc has much to be proud ofsradc has much to be proud ofsradc has much to be proud ofsradc has much to be proud ofsradc has much to be proud of

Wait, did you just take the visual music thing seriously? You realise that it would just be art?!

------------------
Old 12-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #7
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

I believe that as technology advances, so will the ability to control data such as midi through thought-control or response surfaces, furthering the possibilities of sound design and arrangement for humanity to closer replicate the complexity of human emotions. Further, the medium itself could rapidly change from transmitting as data to transmitting telepathically.

Or, you know, we could still be listening to proglectro for another 50 years because people eat it up.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
Spyderbyte (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
sradc
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I believe that as technology advances, so will the ability to control data such as midi through thought-control or response surfaces, furthering the possibilities of sound design and arrangement for humanity to closer replicate the complexity of human emotions.

That's not actually out of the question. Mag res imaging of brain activity is going places.

------------------
Old 12-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts

I almost don't want to know. No joke man, I really feel like it would make me want to off myself. Luckily, if your 300 years figure is the gauge here, I won't even be around for it.

My take on it is that in 300 years there is either going to be a shining utopia with all sorts of wonderful art made by brilliant utopians, or there's not going to be anyone left on the scorched rock that used to have a name to make anything.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:25 AM   #10
kju6
Granular Poster
kju6 is a jewel in the roughkju6 is a jewel in the roughkju6 is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

This was the first forum comment I've read today. I wanted to start my day off from work in a sweet transition so figured I would check out IDM.

Mission Accomplished.

:mayonesa:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I almost don't want to know. No joke man, I really feel like it would make me want to off myself. Luckily, if your 300 years figure is the gauge here, I won't even be around for it.

My take on it is that in 300 years there is either going to be a shining utopia with all sorts of wonderful art made by brilliant utopians, or there's not going to be anyone left on the scorched rock that used to have a name to make anything.
kju6 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #11
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

I had a really elaborate reply all typed up, and then I realized I'm not going there
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:53 AM   #12
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18030069

people will compress to +10,000,000dBRMS and it will just be white noise, but it will be awesome white noise.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:05 AM   #13
Dippshoe
cunt
Dippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MC
In an abandoned cave covered by mist in the depths of Jotunheimen.
MC Status: 12810

The future og music is already here. It's called Beamz, by Flo Rida

------------------

'Don't be an idiot.' Changed my life.
-Dwight Schrute.
Dippshoe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #14
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

Who knows? I was thinking about this today, the advent of computers and electronics open up all sorts of amazing possibilities. I mean, we call it "electronic" music, so what does that make everything else? "Acoustic" music?

Its like we're starting all over again from the beginning of music, but this time we can control almost literally anything and everything about the sounds that we produce. For a long time the various restrictions of physical instruments really dictated what was possible, but with electronics all of a sudden anything is possible. I don't think I could even possibly imagine what it'll be like in the future.

The last 50 years have been huge for music. I'd say we're on the cusp of a massive shift in the way that music is made and consumed. Big changes for the future are happening right now, and we really get to see the very beginning of all of it.
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #15
EMG
Regular Freak
EMG will become famous soon enoughEMG will become famous soon enough
Miami
MC Status: 110

Dude, the future of music is electronic, period. everyones making tracks on computers, and eventually really instruments will become obsolete, its the hard truth, but for me, house all the way
EMG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #16
Magic22
Regular Freak
Magic22 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post

I almost don't want to know, either. While music changes like everything else, it's not always for the better.
Magic22 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
mister_crow
Soundwave Mangler
mister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond repute
A tree in Verulamium
MC Status: 2210

300 years is hard to think about... Just look at the work of victorian futurologists, and bear in mind we're trying to think even further ahead during a period of much faster development. That said, I think I can list a few future trends that I expect to see.

1. Synthesis catching up with real instruments - being able to mathematically simulate to high degrees of precision an entire grand piano for example. Hopefully, it would sound just like a grand, even if it did invite a different style of playing it.

2. Brain control. The simplest would be using feedback loops with evolutionary methods to tune the parameters of a synth. For instance, it's pretty simple to measure how "excited" someone is, this is basically what polygraphs do. So you put your brain helmet on, and start playing. As you play, the synth constantly makes tiny variations in all parameters, using how "excited" you are as positive feedback to know which adjustments to keep. You would be able to set the parameters of the evolutionary algorithm, so it could just get a beautiful tone and stop there, or let it develop a generative system that requires very few inputs to create rich soundscapes. All based on you subconsciously thinking "oh that's cool."

3. I don't think analogue instruments will ever disappear, but they might become a minority pursuit. I guess at the end of the day, no-one is ever going to stop drumming on tables or whatever, but owning something like a squire strat copy might be viewed like an uber-stradivarius owner today.

Edit: that brain control feedback loop could probably be done today... I best start learning to code that sort of thing.

------------------
Learn! About the lizard men controlling our lives! Hear! Some music I made! See! A waveform steadily becoming a slightly different grey! Coming to a forum post near you soon.
https://soundcloud.com/mister_crow/entities-wip
http://mistercrow.bandcamp.com/album/to-ep
mister_crow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #18
hotwatermusic
Master of the LFO
hotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460

in 300 years music will only last 5-10 seconds, nowdays music will be considered erudite music
hotwatermusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38947

We need to make the unheard gems as standard on media, then there will be more obscure unheard gems, but looking how music came from 50's to 90's and to present day... Music will be gone in 20 years or so, at least as entertainment and profitable crap.
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #20
Muonos
Deep Underground
Muonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MC
Atlanta
MC Status: 1336412

To be honest, I'm not sure humans will NEED music in 300 years. Our brains will be so inter woven with technology that I don't think it will serve the same purpose it does now, an expression of emotions. Imagine, I could just touch a piece of hardware and feel something that someone experienced without having to hear music. It would create a much bigger impact. I think people will be so connected, most of the mediums we have now will cease to serve a purpose. I mean why do I need to type this if I can just transfer you this thought, instantaneously.

Either that or a musician could just click a button that creates music that feels happy to YOU specifically and beam it to your that only you can hear. Imagine raves then. Everyone would be blissful listening to their own drum beat.

Advertisements

------------------
A song from my upcoming Dub Techno EP.

Muonos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muonos
PROton42 (12-09-2013)