How to come up with complex and interesting chords? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 23-08-2016, 11:51 PM   #21
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 187060
Thanked 3,741 Times in 2,784 Posts
Re: How to come up with complex and interesting chords?

Just use your ears and go with what sounds good or interesting to you..there really is no need to over-complicate what should be an easy and fun musical experience.

Sometimes you just need to stop thinking too deeply about things like this and let your creativity take the wheel and trust it to take you some place new.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 12:09 AM   #22
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 109100
Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,400 Posts

How can complex IDM sounding chords be real if IDM isn't real?
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 12:26 AM   #23
bIOtAPEstry
Microknight
bIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to all
Sydney
MC Status: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
^Nah dude, I understand that.

In the OP mute machine says "IDM sounding chords." I wanted to know what exactly makes a certain chord sound more "IDM" than another in his mind because I don't think it works like that. Read my post again and you'll see I'm not asking about basic theory.
Then it is how one designs the sound of the chord after you have selected your notes. For IDM?? Process it.

Even more organic tones from keys can sound more IDM if there is a dominant IDM sound in the mix, like some glitchy drums in the background. Or if the beat is contemporary; why not make the chords glitchy?? any characteristic from the genre would make it sound IDM.

I don't see why you should be to worried about this genre identity. Following the sound not the rules is the key to finding your real expression. If you follow patterns and rules to much, the chance of you coming up with anything original or fresh is slim at best. Don't discriminate a sound because it 'belongs' to a certain genre or scene. use it, reanimate it, and reinvent it. Don't forget to color outside the lines too!

------------------
Please like my Facebook page!!
https://www.facebook.com/nomadicjurassic
bIOtAPEstry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bIOtAPEstry
A.M (24-08-2016)
Old 24-08-2016, 01:23 AM   #24
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIOtAPEstry View Post
Even more organic tones from keys can sound more IDM if there is a dominant IDM sound in the mix
mate your contributions to this thread are bordering on the insane. Sort your shit out circle round and come again!

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 03:14 AM   #25
bIOtAPEstry
Microknight
bIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to all
Sydney
MC Status: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
mate your contributions to this thread are bordering on the insane. Sort your shit out circle round and come again!
this is why i don' t normally bother with boards because of this kind of thing.

if you don't understand what someones talking about from a post then perhaps you can ask them to elaborate on the bit your not getting?

Im happy to skype or facebook chat if you would like to talk further or exchange some thoughts on this thread.

------------------
Please like my Facebook page!!
https://www.facebook.com/nomadicjurassic
bIOtAPEstry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #26
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

ignore me man, was major drunk last night and misjudged the tone of what I was saying, wasn't a serious dig was probably more likely trying to be funny which is the sad thing. it was mainly cause you tried to explain what a triad was to RFJ for no reason whatsoever good luck with all of your things goodbye

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #27
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
¯\(°_o)/¯
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIOtAPEstry View Post
this is why i don' t normally bother with boards because of this kind of thing.

if you don't understand what someones talking about from a post then perhaps you can ask them to elaborate on the bit your not getting?

Im happy to skype or facebook chat if you would like to talk further or exchange some thoughts on this thread.

hey, I feel like I translated your last post in my head because i've been doing this awhile but it raises questions to anyone looking for advice. just trying to understand your language, mainly because I thought your Triad/GTA reference was lulz. I have a few questions:

can you please elaborate on what constitutes a "dominant IDM sound"?

can you define what exactly is a "more organic tone"? what features make a beat "contemporary"?

what exactly does it mean to "make chords glitchy". or "gitchy" drums in the "background". what are glitchy drums? what is the "background"? how does layering an IDM sound into your mix extract more organic tones?

what patterns and rules do you speak of the OP should avoid? and why?

is music made up of patterns?

what does it mean to "follow the sound and not the rules"?

why in one sentence do you tell the OP to use "any characteristic" (which is what?) of a genre, then in the very next sentence tell them to not be worried by genre identity?
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #28
Renthebathroom
Renthebathroom is a jewel in the roughRenthebathroom is a jewel in the roughRenthebathroom is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I think the best option is still to study harmony a least for one month or two, it won't make longer to integrate the basics. Once you know how a chord is constructed and how chord progression work you can do whatever you want and have fun, and play with the rules etc. It much less difficult than what some people may think. It's basic and simple rules (at the core) that leads to very complex possibilites. You can learn it by yoursel but the best option it's to go at your local music school take somes music classes and see (and much important hear) how harmony works in "motion". Then once you have integrated that, which is really not hard for the basics, you can have fun with you midi keyboard, sequencer or whatever. So for me if you want to come with complex and interesting chord you have to at least study the basics of harmony, and listen to some composer Like Debussy or Ravel, (especially their piano pieces, for Debussy I recommand his séries of piano Préludes) to see some master of harmony and complex chords in action. (Or obviously jazz is full of complex chord, like the famous minor 7th which is not that complex, but is simply beautiful even outside some tonal context...then we start to fall into some modal music and here I can just recommand "Kind of Blue" one of the greatest jazz (and modal jazz) records even made. Great to train your ears and your sensibity to complex chord.

Advertisements

Renthebathroom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Renthebathroom
mute machine (03-09-2016)