Philosophy: Should you write music that you like or what you think others would like? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 17-06-2017, 10:57 PM   #21
Detroit-Berlin
Minor Glitch
Detroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to all
MC Status: 560
Re: Philosophy: Should you write music that you like or what you think others would l

You should indeed write music you like to write.
When you start making music because others like it and you don't than it becomes a job and maybe not the best job.

Advertisements

Detroit-Berlin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 04:38 AM   #22
Failsafe
Granular Poster
Failsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860
Re: Philosophy: Should you write music that you like or what you think others would l

Come on all 'new' genres are evolutions or combinations of existing ones. I would say the only time something comes out which is totally new is down to the technology available not the individual artist. Of course it comes down to the way they use it, but I wouldn't give them all the credit for creating a totally new unique sound.

I struggle to categorise my music but I'm totally aware that it's a combination of multiple genres that resonate with me. I'm making the decision to add lyrics and try to go in more of a 'songs' direction, and I'd be lying if the thought of it being more well-received didn't cross my mind, but it comes much more down to lyrics being a part of music I really enjoy and enjoy writing and it helping me to apply specific themes to not only tracks but different parts of tracks. So I think, as said before, probably for most people there's a push-and-pull of what will I like and what will other people like.
Failsafe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Failsafe
Vault O))) (18-06-2017)
Old 18-06-2017, 06:02 AM   #23
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 23260

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
Clear your mind and listen to your heart.
I have to do something along these lines. When I try and make more commercially palatable stuff on purpose and compromise my vision to do it, I find that stuff is my least liked work. And because I know exactly what compromises I made, I'm almost never happy listening back to it after the fact. And then the songs where I do what I want, even when I know it's not the best (most technically advanced) work I could do, always do pretty well.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 1-19-18.

https://www.facebook.com/JP4onthefloor/
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #24
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 3010

Everyone should produce by its own taste. Not everyone is the same. You should really make music what you like, and if it happens to be cool music, thats great! You 100% should make what you like. Hopefully you are not close minded and you just like 1 type of genre, even if you do, hopefully it will be something that will please plenty of people, after all you are expressing yourself in a form of an art of sound, why would you be so selfish and leave it all for yourself.

Last edited by Mario D; 18-06-2017 at 09:43 AM..

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mario D
dark_virus (03-07-2017)
Old 21-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #25
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,905 Posts

you should just write music
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to fidelium
mnkvolcno (23-06-2017)
Old 23-06-2017, 01:08 AM   #26
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 22160

Write music you like period.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 01:30 AM   #27
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6905759
Thanked 3,531 Times in 2,140 Posts

If you make music for yourself, write whatever you want.

If you make music for a living, write music for your market.

Like if you establish yourself as a techno producer and you have a decent audience and then you start writing shoegazing ambient shit and it doesn't sell... well you can hardly blame the audience can you?
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
fidelium (25-06-2017)
Old 23-06-2017, 02:14 AM   #28
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Who is the audience? Same thing you would ask yourself if you are writing a book. If you are the only audience then write what you like. If you are writing for another intended audience then you are going to have to compromise. Even so...to me it seems like the people who really make a mark in the world start off with this creative, unique sound. It's ironic that most artists get discovered for their own sound but then become commercialized once they make it big, or what you would call making music others would like.

Edit: kind of just said the same thing Jaded said.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 02:24 AM   #29
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmodel View Post
But is it fair to put Justin Bieber and e.g. Richard D. James into the same box and claim that both are great artists in an equal way?
Really? JUSTIN BIEBER?
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muse-ic
relic (23-06-2017)
Old 23-06-2017, 02:29 AM   #30
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 58560
Thanked 1,171 Times in 862 Posts

Pursue what you're passionate about. Write what you wish had been written. Paint what you would wish had been painted. Be what you think is missing in the world. All else is a waste of effort.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
Metaside (23-06-2017)
Old 23-06-2017, 02:36 AM   #31
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 109400
Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,403 Posts

I mean, his name is there in the writing section, but it was probably mostly Ed Sheeran and Benny Blanco.

Anyway - I pose that this song is as good as any of the twins' material, just different.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
Jaded (23-06-2017)
Old 23-06-2017, 03:49 AM   #32
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317739

I myself think you should always write what you want to hear, That's what drives innovation despite whatever style of sound you are producing. Any other way is less than satisfactory because a majority of people form a collective stupidity and settle for catchy shit that is buried beneath the derp of time and forgotten. In short, Its all in where you draw your own line to what compromises integrity as an artist because I guess whores could sleep pretty good.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
dark_virus (03-07-2017)
Old 23-06-2017, 05:12 AM   #33
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Chaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 753000

Honestly it depends what you want out of it. I truly enjoy making literally everything, but I've found my heavy stuff usually does better than my chill downtempo stuff. I've also realized that people like to categorize artists into a genre of some sort. Making everything turns people off i think... Because they never know what to expect from you... but if say you made chill music and they were in the mood for chill music. They would be more likely to return if they liked most of your chill music.

This is theory, but I've personally noticed sticking to a genre get's more traffic.

------------------
Chaotix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 05:43 AM   #34
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269470808
Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,949 Posts

Do what thou wilt.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #35
Failsafe
Granular Poster
Failsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

I think an awareness of audience is a key point, but also if you can't connect with what you're making enough to enjoy it then you're probably making shit music. I don't know how you would judge music without enjoying listening to it beyond just ticking off criteria but good music has to touch people, and if you're getting nothing from it I don't know how you'd gauge that. Good cooks have to taste the food lark

------------------
Failsafe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #36
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 7610

I'm on the make what you like to make camp. Mainly because if I try to make something that other people might like or is the in thing, it undoubtedly ends up being scrapped. I think most of us would like people to like our music, and someone somewhere will.
He's something that David Bowie once said in an interview........
"Never play to the Gallery. When an artist plays to the Gallery, they will always end up making their most mediocre music". or words to that effect.
As for the subject of making different genres, which I tend to do. To save confusion, just make them under different names.
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #37
Keylontix
IDMf's latest spammer
Keylontix will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I think it's a combination of the two that produces that highest calibre music.

In this day and age, EDM is everywhere and almost every mainstream subgenre has been pushed to the brink of overkill. In order to produce quality tracks, personality needs to shine through. The best way that happens is when a person produces music that they themselves love. What makes it catchy and listenable is the added quality of producing music the masses will love. This is why, for me, the best kind of music has pop elements.

You find this absolutely everywhere. If you listen to Four Tet for example, he blatantly uses microcosms of pop in order to pump the music into a state where the different and similar mesh. This is an example of an artist that knows what the human brain enjoys, but also needs to inject himself into that process, otherwise what's the point?

So yeah. Both.
Keylontix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Keylontix
relic (23-06-2017)
Old 23-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #38
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1540077
Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,303 Posts

Depends on your motivations.

Are you writing music for you or for the enjoyment of others? A bit of both? Hoping to do your thing and have it catch on?

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #39
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20360

i think both as it will get yourself noticed more
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #40
_nanonoise_
Radial Developer
_nanonoise_ has a brilliant future_nanonoise_ has a brilliant future_nanonoise_ has a brilliant future_nanonoise_ has a brilliant future_nanonoise_ has a brilliant future_nanonoise_ has a brilliant future_nanonoise_ has a brilliant future_nanonoise_ has a brilliant future_nanonoise_ has a brilliant future_nanonoise_ has a brilliant future_nanonoise_ has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1510

it depends on what you want to do. If you want to hit the charts than there are recipes for that I guess.
But if your music is about enjoying the creative process and about expressing yourself than just compose it how you think it sounds best;
although music is also a form of communication so if nobody identifies with your music it can be pretty lonely I guess.

But it's not like: 'I want to make it sound like that so everybody will like it', but more like 'I am influenced by these sounds that I like so I want to incorporate that vibe in my tracks' :-)

Advertisements

_nanonoise_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote