303 sound giving me grief...
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 63410
Thanked 1,268 Times in 933 Posts
303 sound giving me grief...

So, using the Abl3 emulator I have been tinkering and fiddling, but I can't seem to get the sound I like. I can get it close, but not right.

The sound I am after starts at the 2:05 mark of this track: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I thing it uses a touch of Reverb and Echo, but it's the 303 settings I can't pinpoint. Also sounds like a straightforward low pass filter that later opens up to great effect (keep listening and you get what I mean). Can you help? This is killing me.

Andy

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1841677
Re: 303 sound giving me grief...

Sounds like a square wave with some echo delay added to signal. Probably a short attack, mid decay and slide.

ABL3 is not he be all end all, I can recommend you getting very close with [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
or their Ultrabass as some tasty presets, [ersonally prefer the renegade. I am not saying these are true 303 clones, ut the sounds are very impressive.

Worth checking out, these arent just Goa/trance synths ; )

------------------
My Tinkerings
https://hearthis.at/mystafx/
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Not forgetting the awesome Beat Battle Subs
https://hearthis.at/mfxxx/
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:06 AM   #3
fontlame
Radial Developer
fontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant future
Paris
MC Status: 1960

did you get the velocity of your line right?
the rapid variation between a) low velocity -> lower filter, less resonance, less filter mod, slowed decay
and b) hi velocity -> the inverse
play a very important part in acid line
(that, and the filter)
fontlame is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:04 AM   #4
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 63410
Thanked 1,268 Times in 933 Posts

@MMFxx:
I am currently limited to Reason as my DAW, so VST/VSTi isn't going to work. I also have looked at NRS Transisthor Base and Phuturetone's Silverbox ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
). Neither come even close.

@frontlame
I studied the track at significantly reduced speed. I don't think this line is using any accents. It's a pattern of simple gate and slide: GGSGGSGGSGGGS where the slide notes are an octave up. So, that get's the groove right.

My Abl3 module has no real attack setting, so I can't seem to make the sound soft enough when play at sufficient BPM. I gotta get myself a real box

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote