I need mixing advice.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #1
Civy
Minor Glitch
Civy will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
I need mixing advice.

Hi guys I would like to really improve on my mixing technique
but I dont know what to start with.

This is how mix know:

But I want to sound like this:

What is it that he does and I really need to improve on?
only mixing wise not arrangement wise.

Advertisements

Civy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20560
Re: I need mixing advice.

right it sounds like your really wanting to learn ill post up a template of how i go about doing things to show you how to go about doing things. Plus you have to consider that been (very badly may i add way to much hi end ) mastered as well.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
Civy
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
right it sounds like your really wanting to learn ill post up a template of how i go about doing things to show you how to go about doing things. Plus you have to consider that been (very badly may i add way to much hi end ) mastered as well.
il be waiting.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

A template sounds more like arranging than mixing, but you never know. Let the master guide you.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
Civy
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
A template sounds more like arranging than mixing, but you never know. Let the master guide you.
I am open for any advice.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
SUBSDANCEme
Learning The Ropes
SUBSDANCEme is currently spamming hard
Alaska
MC Status: 10

What kind of controller are you using?
SUBSDANCEme is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
Civy
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBSDANCEme View Post
What kind of controller are you using?
Do you mean daw? Fl studio 11
Old 04-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #8
Andantonius
Sample Destroyer
Andantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7610

They're different sounding tracks so it's hard to say exactly, yours has the lead energy in a higher synth register, his has the lead element in a gritty mid-range bass register so there's a pretty big difference there that requires different mixing. Apart from that I would say:

-His sounds different partly because it's just louder. He cranked the final limiter a few more dBs than you, which I don't personally advocate but it's common in this genre.

-His kick is much punchier, which could be either a sample issue or a mix issue. Be sure you're starting with good source sounds and mixing gets way easier; sounds like his kick has more of an FM top / punch that helps it cut through the mix, He's also carved out a lot of room for the kick, the bass (and particularly sub) is either sidechain compressed or he did manual volume automation to ensure nothing is competing with the sub of the kick while it's playing.

-His snare/clap is also seems much more present to me, and it sounds more like a midrange 800Hz-1200Hz beefy clap, where yours sounds more like a sizzly white noise snare. He's also probably either sidechained, EQ'd, or automated his mid-range bass and synths to get out of the way when the clap plays.

-His claps also have a lot more stereo information to them. They probably have a mono or mono-ish fundamental, but there's some spread on the higher frequencies. Probably multiple samples panned left and right, but could also be some kind of processing or fake overheads.

-His mix also seems drier to me, less audible reverb. Might want to shorten some of yours, and if you're not already be sure to EQ the reverbs and remove the lows (probably around 600Hz) and dampen the highs (maybe -6 to -10 dB around 6kHz)

-He also has crashes and hats playing in the heavier sections, which is partly an arrangement issue but it's also a mixing issue because you have a gap in that 10kHz+ sizzle range that's usually filled by crashes, hats, sidechained noise, etc.

-His also just has more elements playing during the heavier sections. Like the simple sawtooth, "whoop whoop" sound on every off-beat, which again is partly an arrangement thing but it's also mixing because mixing is about maximizing the feel of the track, which in this case is upbeat and high energy. You don't want to add too many elements and crowd your mix, but additional rhythmic elements carefully placed in a small pocket of frequencies can add a lot.

Overall I think both tracks sound really nice, he's just spent more time choosing where every sound should go and carving everything else out around it to ensure there's as little competition for frequencies as possible.
Andantonius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Andantonius
Muse-ic (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #9
Civy
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andantonius View Post
They're different sounding tracks so it's hard to say exactly, yours has the lead energy in a higher synth register, his has the lead element in a gritty mid-range bass register so there's a pretty big difference there that requires different mixing. Apart from that I would say:

-His sounds different partly because it's just louder. He cranked the final limiter a few more dBs than you, which I don't personally advocate but it's common in this genre.

-His kick is much punchier, which could be either a sample issue or a mix issue. Be sure you're starting with good source sounds and mixing gets way easier; sounds like his kick has more of an FM top / punch that helps it cut through the mix, He's also carved out a lot of room for the kick, the bass (and particularly sub) is either sidechain compressed or he did manual volume automation to ensure nothing is competing with the sub of the kick while it's playing.

-His snare/clap is also seems much more present to me, and it sounds more like a midrange 800Hz-1200Hz beefy clap, where yours sounds more like a sizzly white noise snare. He's also probably either sidechained, EQ'd, or automated his mid-range bass and synths to get out of the way when the clap plays.

-His claps also have a lot more stereo information to them. They probably have a mono or mono-ish fundamental, but there's some spread on the higher frequencies. Probably multiple samples panned left and right, but could also be some kind of processing or fake overheads.

-His mix also seems drier to me, less audible reverb. Might want to shorten some of yours, and if you're not already be sure to EQ the reverbs and remove the lows (probably around 600Hz) and dampen the highs (maybe -6 to -10 dB around 6kHz)

-He also has crashes and hats playing in the heavier sections, which is partly an arrangement issue but it's also a mixing issue because you have a gap in that 10kHz+ sizzle range that's usually filled by crashes, hats, sidechained noise, etc.

-His also just has more elements playing during the heavier sections. Like the simple sawtooth, "whoop whoop" sound on every off-beat, which again is partly an arrangement thing but it's also mixing because mixing is about maximizing the feel of the track, which in this case is upbeat and high energy. You don't want to add too many elements and crowd your mix, but additional rhythmic elements carefully placed in a small pocket of frequencies can add a lot.

Overall I think both tracks sound really nice, he's just spent more time choosing where every sound should go and carving everything else out around it to ensure there's as little competition for frequencies as possible.
Thanks so much helped me alot!!

Advertisements