Sub kick/ Sub bass
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
Fuccess
Microknight
Fuccess will become famous soon enoughFuccess will become famous soon enough
Helsinki
MC Status: 110
Sub kick/ Sub bass

So, another low-end question. I'm wondering about the low subs regarding a kick drum and a bass synth/ bass guitar.

Let's say I have layered a kickdrum. Eq:ed together a low sub and a higher kick. I have cut out the lows under 20 hz from the sub to avoid low rumble. The kick sounds great!

Now, I wanna bass synth/ bass guitar to do its part. I find a good sounding synth with some nice mids/higer end. Now I would like to layer this with a sub too. The question is then: how do I mix the kick's sub together with the bass synth/guitar's sub? Do I cut the bass synth/guitar's sub a lot more than the kick's sub, say everything under 70 hz? I wouldn't wan the two subs to fight eachother. Or have I misunderstood the concept sub?

Would be forever thankful for any help!

Advertisements

Fuccess is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts
Re: Sub kick/ Sub bass

You could try to sidechain compress the sub bass synth, triggered by the kick. That way the sub synth will duck out of the way when the kick hits.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
Alert (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #3
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20560

eq
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744041091
Thanked 7,473 Times in 4,627 Posts

Try a combination of the two.
Dynamic sidechain EQ.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
Alert (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
Fuccess
Microknight
Fuccess will become famous soon enoughFuccess will become famous soon enough
Helsinki
MC Status: 110

Thanks!

Yes, i usually sidechain the two, but I just wanted to know whether the bass synth's sub should be as low as the kick's sub. Or is it better to low cut the bass synth's sub more than the kick's sub? Or perhaps only make small EQ cuts in the sub?

Isn't sub under 60 hz? Usually when I read about mixing kick and bass together, people seems to only talk about EQ:ing the kick and bass toghether above 60 hz. To boost the kick at around 80-100 hz and cut at the same frequency for the bass etc. But never of how to make the sub interact between kick and bass synth.
Fuccess is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:00 PM   #6
stranger_sounds
Granular Poster
stranger_sounds is a savage MCstranger_sounds is a savage MCstranger_sounds is a savage MCstranger_sounds is a savage MCstranger_sounds is a savage MCstranger_sounds is a savage MCstranger_sounds is a savage MCstranger_sounds is a savage MCstranger_sounds is a savage MCstranger_sounds is a savage MCstranger_sounds is a savage MC
MC Status: 14685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuccess View Post
Thanks!

Yes, i usually sidechain the two, but I just wanted to know whether the bass synth's sub should be as low as the kick's sub. Or is it better to low cut the bass synth's sub more than the kick's sub? Or perhaps only make small EQ cuts in the sub?
I think this depends on the style of music you are creating to a certain extent. The kick sample you are using would come in to question as well as it may naturally hold a lot of sub/low end or it might be a bit more clicky and have a lot more higher stuff going on.

Generally speaking the kick should peak between around 100-120hz and so if you have a very heavy sub bass line u can EQ the kick to cut out anything below around 80-90. You will have to play around to see what sounds good though as it does depend heavily on the sample you are using.

I would also then add a subtle sidechain between the kick and the bass to make sure they don't clash. It may also be worth shortening the tail of your kick to free up some more room.

------------------
stranger_sounds is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #7
Mader
Granular Poster
Mader is a jewel in the roughMader is a jewel in the roughMader is a jewel in the rough
Adelaide, South Australia
MC Status: 260

The two ways I would go about it would be sidechaining a compressor to the sub bass or using a more complicated method of mid-side eqing.

To do this basically you need to ensure that the kick is mono and the synth is in stereo. Then you mid side eq the synth and highpass most of the low end off of the mid channel so it doesnt clash with the kick. You then can just high pass the side channels enough to keep the sub 40hz range in check and you will have a clearer mix.

This is a nice way to have the two elements sitting next to eachother without clashing as long as you highpass correctly and watch the stereo image.

Last edited by Mader; 04-05-2015 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: added more detail
Mader is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:17 AM   #8
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Besides the various side chain techniques described here that work fanatically..sometimes shifting the side key over a tad a 32nd to 16th can give a little bit more room for decay.I tend to add a 1st and/or 3rd and on rare occasion even a 5th harmoic( if the rest of the track is not dense) slight boost to give the ear a tiny thing to grab onto to bring it in. All depends on the material

Advertisements

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote