How much real sound design is in your music? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 19-03-2015, 02:26 PM   #61
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728
Re: How much real sound design is in your music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunkLo View Post
You're looking at it from a polarized stance. "You can't make everything, ergo you shouldn't make an effort to make as much of it as possible." Just because you can't be 100% unique doesn't mean you shouldn't still try to avoid being derivative.

You seem to be considering everything from the audience's perspective. I'm considering it from the artist's perspective. If I gave a fuck about pleasing undiscerning masses I'd be trying to make some katy perry trap crossover hype shit and you can bet your ass 100% of that shit would be presets. The listener might not know that I made a track entirely from untouched samples and presets, but I certainly will. What satisfaction am I going to get from that? Yeah the track sounds dope, but it's because somebody else invested the time designing the sounds that I was too lazy to do. If you swap all the sounds and patches and the track no longer sounds dope, then that means the quality of the track was riding on the sound design that you didn't contribute to. Would that not make you feel like an enormous phony?

Yeah it's easier to use premade shit. But why are you trying to cut corners on your art? You're not selling a product, you're not trying to put the bare minimum effort into your craft, you're trying to express yourself. I'm still curious why you wouldn't want to get your fingerprints on every little detail.

To clarify regarding the art analogy, the paint is the building blocks of sound, the oscillators, the filters, the samples. The painter is the sound designer who arranges these raw building blocks into an aesthetic form. The curator is the producer who chooses things that sound good and presents them as a collection. If the curator is cutting things up, modifying them, and recombining them in a different context, he's an artist. If he's presenting the originals exactly as they are without altering them, he's just a proxy for the actual artist.
Well. In the end it gotta be up to the artist to decide what he gets from it creatively and artisticly. Cutting corners gives more room and time when you are in the zone and have a vision going. I agree on being as hands on as possible with your music is rewarding but some people simply do not enjoy making things from scratch so why should they then? As soon as you put two presets with some harmony together it is creativity and artistic expression. How far you wanna go into details is up to you, make own synth? create own saw wave, record a choir or just sample something, whatever is rewarding for you and gets ideas and creativity flowing is good.

Last edited by Crude_beats; 19-03-2015 at 02:38 PM..

Advertisements

Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 06:54 PM   #62
Fourier
Banned
Fourier is a splendid one to beholdFourier is a splendid one to beholdFourier is a splendid one to beholdFourier is a splendid one to beholdFourier is a splendid one to beholdFourier is a splendid one to beholdFourier is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

:badger:

Like your guys' yiff meatspin gotta say.

But I don't use real sound design; I live in a padded room and work within a box pushing buttons and turning knobs that cause chemicals to be released into my brain, in one capacity or another.
Fourier is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #63
Fourier
Banned
Fourier is a splendid one to beholdFourier is a splendid one to beholdFourier is a splendid one to beholdFourier is a splendid one to beholdFourier is a splendid one to beholdFourier is a splendid one to beholdFourier is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

Then of course, there's the economic factors.

Isn't the best course of action to give everything out into creative commons and just make money selling booze, look at music as the loss leader? We gotta think long term folks.

Also that is not what I am listening to, I'm listening to my own music.
Currently Listening To: Carbon Based Lifeforms - Hydroponic Garden
Old 20-03-2015, 10:15 PM   #64
tomkillsjerry
Analog Lurker
tomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to behold
Dallas tx
MC Status: 760

honestly most of my music comes from m messing around with sound design i'll get inspired by a key or pad sound i made and build on the idea.
tomkillsjerry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #65
Fourier
Banned

True that, or even just dubbing some vocals on yourself with lazy pitch correction. If I'm honest I haven't made a track in a good week though, just fucked about with other people's tracks..
Old 03-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #66
lectrixboogaloo
Minor Glitch
lectrixboogaloo is just really nicelectrixboogaloo is just really nicelectrixboogaloo is just really nicelectrixboogaloo is just really nicelectrixboogaloo is just really nice
MC Status: 410

zero. i'm a synth programmer, not a 'sound designer'.
lectrixboogaloo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #67
Sánchez
Learning The Ropes
Sánchez is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

It'd be awesome if I could create every sound and incorporate it into a track but I myself only take the time for the main synth of the song as it identifies who you are.
Sánchez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:12 AM   #68
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
fuck you!
MC Status: 329126900
Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,193 Posts

Not alot,just melodies and arrangement.even then all music is a derivative of other music,just arranged differently.
tis true.no matter how original you think you are,you really aren't.
you just changed things around to sound different.
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #69
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269476208
Thanked 3,052 Times in 2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtr View Post
Not alot,just melodies and arrangement.even then all music is a derivative of other music,just arranged differently.
And that's why we love you.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:12 PM   #70
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 73824
Thanked 1,225 Times in 756 Posts

All my rhythm stuff is designed from scratch. Most of the synths I use are just presets that I may alter very very little.

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:35 PM   #71
Fourier
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtr View Post
I suppose, but that's where the beauty lies; you're making the product which feels new to the unjaded consumer when it's really the same 8 bar loop we've been making since the 70s.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:24 AM   #72
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
fuck you!
MC Status: 329126900
Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,193 Posts

You mis understand.
original music is original,ie you made it,composed,designed everything.
so yes it is original.what i mean is you can play notes in certain sequences,phrases.
the limitations are this chords and scales are patterns that fit with each other.they are defined by the structure of music we have been taught or learned through the ages.
so at one point or another,for lack of a better word,it's been done.
im not saying you can't be original.in fact if you think outside the box,more power to ya.
basically it's human nature to base ideas from something we know.
much of my music comes from my head.but it always comes from an idea i have heard before.
Thus endeth the lesson.:snob:
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Rixtr
Crude_beats (05-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 12:11 PM   #73
Marcanta
Microknight
Marcanta is a savage MCMarcanta is a savage MCMarcanta is a savage MCMarcanta is a savage MCMarcanta is a savage MCMarcanta is a savage MCMarcanta is a savage MCMarcanta is a savage MCMarcanta is a savage MCMarcanta is a savage MCMarcanta is a savage MC
MC Status: 479577

I use a lot of presets but I can't stop myself most of the time from tweaking away and evolve the sounds further. I am quite happy with that approach. I have no ego for having to come up with everything from scratch because it would consume too much of my time and I don't see the point. I usually have an aim on what I want to do so if I know that I for example want a 90's rave stab sound I will go look in that particular preset folder. After that I might do something with the initial sound if it fits what I am trying to achive.

But as far as sound design go I'd say I can go into microscopic editing details and come up with pretty interesting rhytmic sound layers that way. One of the key ingredients to my sound is that I pretty much edit the shit out of everything and use tons of automations.
Marcanta is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #74
9white5
Minor Glitch
9white5 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

i never use presets but sometimes when im feeling lazy and want to make some easy glitchy effects i chuck a drum loop down and just lather it with fx
9white5 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #75
Kneedless
Master of the LFO
Kneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond repute
Straya
MC Status: 3460

I use allot of samples, usually eventually modify the hell out of them, till they sound like the kinda sounds you'd hear in heaven. then sometimes I modify the hell back into them..... times 10, I experiment with synthesis from time to time and have actually had results I am happy with in the last few tracks

Advertisements

------------------
Kneedless is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote