Carbon Based Lifeforms Organ Sounds
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 15-03-2015, 10:44 PM   #1
Kitch
Microknight
Kitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MC
Western New York
MC Status: 745909
Carbon Based Lifeforms Organ Sounds

I absolutely love the sounds Carbon Based Lifeforms uses.

A lot of songs they have uses an organic, trippy organ sound.

Wondering what is the best soft synth out there for producing this type of sound and also the sound design aspect of it as well..

Sound comes in around 7:57..

More organ goodness around 2:30

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by Kitch; 15-03-2015 at 11:00 PM..

Advertisements

Kitch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728
Re: Carbon Based Lifeforms Organ Sounds

I'd say you find best results looking for Rhodes samples and emulators.

There are free ones all over the net with various quality.

Lounge Lizard is decent

Natives Electric Piano is pretty nice.

as are the scarbee vintage keys pack.

As for how to make them sound good send them through a dist or saturation of some kind. Boost EQ in the area where you want emphasis.

Like in this song maybe around 200-1000hz somewhere. For squealing high notes boost in the 3k+ area. In this song I also think that the sound has a low pass filter on it taking away some highs making it feel more soft. And not to forget it is playing soft notes, if you hit good emulators harder they sound more hard and rough. So hit keys softly or find rhodes samples that are recorded softly.

if you wanna experiment more with sound design these instruments are often miced when recorded for real. So you can ofc try and simulate that with some room reverb before all other fx. then make some tape simulation fx chain with a little grit, some saturation etc.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Crude_beats
Kitch (18-03-2015)
Old 18-03-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
Kitch
Microknight
Kitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MC
Western New York

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.

If I ever figure out how to produce sounds that sound nearly as good as CBL I will be extremely satisfied..
Old 18-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

I think it has alot to do with key-tracking.
Try add one saw wave oscillator, then another saw wave one octave above the first one. Then add a lowpass filter. Set the filter to be 100% key-tracked. Then hold one note and dial in the cutoff, resonance, steepness, etc to taste. Then play the whole range (of the keyboard) to see if it sounds good.
You can, with the filter cutoff, go from overtone rich saw harmonics down to almost a sinewave character.
Add some chorus and reverb if you will.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
I think it has alot to do with key-tracking.
Try add one saw wave oscillator, then another saw wave one octave above the first one. Then add a lowpass filter. Set the filter to be 100% key-tracked. Then hold one note and dial in the cutoff, resonance, steepness, etc to taste. Then play the whole range (of the keyboard) to see if it sounds good.
You can, with the filter cutoff, go from overtone rich saw harmonics down to almost a sinewave character.
Add some chorus and reverb if you will.
nice one this has a lot of other applications I think.

Maybe also some filter settings to the key velocity could be nice in there.
Old 18-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #6
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude_beats View Post
nice one this has a lot of other applications I think.

Maybe also some filter settings to the key velocity could be nice in there.
Yes! You can "up the cutoff frequency" with higher velocities, opening up the filter so that it appears "louder".
Assign velocity to filter cutoff and adjust range.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
Crude_beats
Banned

Gonna use this next time I make a electroish sound just to have more room for improvisation.
Old 18-03-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
Kitch
Microknight
Western New York

Thanks for the reply Evelon. Every time I post on this forum, I realize I have a lot to learn.

Have never messed around with key-tracking.

It is now on the to-do/learn list..
Old 12-04-2015, 06:59 AM   #9
9white5
Minor Glitch
9white5 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

sounds at 2:30 is probably just saw and bandpass, theres really no need for key-tracking, automation works just as well, really just depends on your workflow

Advertisements

9white5 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote